Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Indeed, the penny has finally dropped.

Interesting to see how willing the EU are to give us an extension? If I were them I'd only give it for only two things...

a) Time for a public vote to ratify May's deal

or

b) SM / CU Norway style discussion

Either that or carry on and destroy your economy and your own union

However, they may chose to be more accomodating

The thinking behind it maybe they don’t want to receive the blame (they still will by some idiots) for forcing the UK out with out an extension - even a shortish one shows they have tried everything to help.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just get the feeling, as soon as any soft Brexit / 2nd ref. gets any momentum the Brexiteers will buckle and go with May's deal.

Does anyone know the betting odds on May's deal getting through? Maybe a bit of the Brexiteers has rubbed on me, and fancy a bit of disaster capitalism to fund our Wembley visit next month...

That's the spirit. We will need to call you Nicko Rees-Mogg.:)

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
You are absolutely correct. This is coming from someone who also voted Remain.

Also, there was clearly more power behind Remain, yet Leave still won. I think if there were to be another referendum the outcome would be the same, unless Remainers took seriously the concerns of Leavers and those negatively affected by the EU and promised to do something about it - but I do not have confidence that would happen.

There was more power behind REMAIN, but also a huge amount of naivety about LEAVE'S ability to campaign (legally or illegally) digitally and flagrant arrogance that LEAVE might win. Cameron is culpable because he was the Tory that finally buckled to offer the nation their Second vote on the European question following the first vote in 1975. Our membership of Europe has always been a thorn in the side of every Tory PM. The European experiment has had three massive phases (1) a mechanism for peace (tick) through to (2) trading block and economies of scale in a global economy (tick) and finally (3) fiscal and political integration (**** up). The UK has always, by Europe's own admission, been the devil's advocate in any discussion regarding closer political and monetary union. If we're not there, the whole thing has the capacity to unravel very quickly and that'll be even more shit for everyone - especially as it will screw over (2) above and might threaten (1) above. Right now British and European politics is like ****ing Jenga with the extreme voices trying to pull out all the foundation bricks.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
dddd.JPG

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Mays Deal as far as the terms of transition go can't get past the ERG, and as far as aims of the trade deal go, can't get past Labour and Tory soft leave advocates. She has tried changing things for the ERG's position, it would be easier and more successful to change the trade deal aims, if it looked like Norway plus customs union it would meet Labour requirements, and the soft leaning Tories. But as it is similar in what autonomy we would have to membership, I think most leavers would prefer to remain than have that outcome.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The Remain campaign was weak, the problem was that it was the Government of the day delivering it and they could hardly tell the truth and say that a lot of the shit people are complaining about is down to UK Government, not the EU. Their message was, the EU is shit but it is better than being on our own. There are very few areas truly negatively affected overall by the EU.

It didn't help that Corbyn campaiged for remain with about as much conviction as me cheering a goal from the home end in a BHA away game.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Is there a collective appetite to reform Parliament? Unlikely because once they're at the trough they will fight like hell to stay there. Watching Parliamentary sessions on TV is embarrassing. It's all 'Yah Boo Sucks' nonsense, wasting hours every week, all very confrontational. I have no idea how to reform our system but it is, as you say, a busted flush: especially the First Past The Post nonsense. It's what has contributed to the 3 year clusterf*ck we have been subjected to.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I wrote to my MP suggesting that instead of spending hundred of millions on tarting up the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace instead the money could be better spent on housing for the citizens of the U.K. Give the building to the national trust to run and outsource the building and running of new Parliment conference hotel to travel lodge to include bedrooms office space for every MP for their exclusive use while the sitting MP this would have the added bonus of ensuring MPs don't accidentally fall foul of expensive claims the building complex to have proper media areas plus build the whole complex outside of London somwhere in the Midlands

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You are absolutely correct. This is coming from someone who also voted Remain.

Also, there was clearly more power behind Remain, yet Leave still won. I think if there were to be another referendum the outcome would be the same, unless Remainers took seriously the concerns of Leavers and those negatively affected by the EU and promised to do something about it - but I do not have confidence that would happen.

Unless people really research the costs of the EU, understand the duplication to meet political pettiness and consider the implications of a non audited organisation I think it's hard to make a firm decision. That said I think an EU better run would be a good thing but that'll never happen.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The English have had no real government for the past two and a half years while they have been naval gazing over Brexit makes you wonder what's the point

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wrote to my MP suggesting that instead of spending hundred of millions on tarting up the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace instead the money could be better spent on housing for the citizens of the U.K. Give the building to the national trust to run and outsource the building and running of new Parliment conference hotel to travel lodge to include bedrooms office space for every MP for their exclusive use while the sitting MP this would have the added bonus of ensuring MPs don't accidentally fall foul of expensive claims the building complex to have proper media areas plus build the whole complex outside of London somwhere in the Midlands

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I suggest that MPs only have their £80K per annum to live on, and not all these directorships, and hedge funds that affect the way they vote.
MPs must be more transparent. The whole shebang is so corrupt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The English have had no real government for the past two and a half years while they have been naval gazing over Brexit makes you wonder what's the point

Whilst sneaking in abolishing the 4 hour waiting rule at NHS A&Es yesterday, hoping nobody would notice.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That's the spirit. We will need to call you Nicko Rees-Mogg.:)

Maybe it feels filthy. If we lost to Milwall could donate the winnings to my kids school, they just sent all parents asking for donations in the absence of proper funding...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Mays Deal as far as the terms of transition go can't get past the ERG, and as far as aims of the trade deal go, can't get past Labour and Tory soft leave advocates. She has tried changing things for the ERG's position, it would be easier and more successful to change the trade deal aims, if it looked like Norway plus customs union it would meet Labour requirements, and the soft leaning Tories. But as it is similar in what autonomy we would have to membership, I think most leavers would prefer to remain than have that outcome.

Which to me, justifies a second referendum - both for leavers and remainers. But the leavers still shout about this destroying democracy as we know it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dude on the tele just said the 27 is unlikely to offer an extension as UK has no idea what it wants.
It depends what would happen if they don't. If not giving an extension means we'd automatically leave with No Deal, it would be pretty stupid for them not to extend it.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

I suggest that MPs only have their £80K per annum to live on, and not all these directorships, and hedge funds that affect the way they vote.
MPs must be more transparent. The whole shebang is so corrupt.[/QUOTE]

Totaly agree once an MP manages to land a job within government not just as a minister but on numerous committees they are then made for life all once they leave office walk straight into directorships on boards of companies who work within the area they served while an MP having such a person on the board provides inside knowledge and opens doors to lobby, it's fascinating to see how many lobbiests are imbedded within the Parliment building on a permanent basis

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whilst sneaking in abolishing the 4 hour waiting rule at NHS A&Es yesterday, hoping nobody would notice.

You would have thought, by now, the government had run out of 'other' bad news that needed burying.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It depends what would happen if they don't. If not giving an extension means we'd automatically leave with No Deal, it would be pretty stupid for them not to extend it.

How does it adversely affect the EU? How are they going to suffer from us leaving without a withdrawal agreement?

In the meantime.
[tweet]1105710951762935809[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here