Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Compliance and unilateral suspension

12. The Union and the United Kingdom agree that it would be inconsistent with their obligations under Article 5 of the Withdrawal Agreement and Article 2(1) of the Protocol for either party to act with the objective of applying the Protocol indefinitely. Should the Union or the United Kingdom consider the other party was acting in this way after the Protocol became applicable, it could make use of the dispute settlement mec hanism enshrined in Articles 167 Withdrawal Agreement.

13. If a dispute arises in relation to Article 5 of the Withdrawal Agr to 181 of the eement and Article 2(1) of the Protocol, the Union and the United Kingdom will immediately enter into consultations in the Joint Committee. They will endeavour to resolve the dispute in a timely manner, with the aim of reaching a mutually agreed solution. With a view to facilitating such a solution, each party will provide a written reasoned justification of its respective position and will respond in writing to the other.

14. Under the dispute settlement mechanism, a ruling by the arbitration panel that a par ty acts with the objective of applying the Protocol indefinitely would be binding on the Union and the United Kingdom. Persistent failure by a party to comply with a ruling, and thus persistent failure by that party to return to compliance with its obligat ions under the Withdrawal Agreement, may result in temporary remedies. Ultimately, the aggrieved party would have the right to enact a unilateral, proportionate suspension of its obligations under the Withdrawal Agreement (other than Part Two), including t he Protocol. Such a suspension may remain in place unless and until the offending party has taken the necessary measures to comply with the ruling of the arbitration panel.

It's a no from me.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So what have we got?

1. An arbitration mechanism to escape the backstop - but no time limit.
2. Legally binding changes - but not ones she initially asked for.
3. An aspiration for Alternative Arrangements by December 2020 - but no hard start date.

Anyone duped?

Can the DUP be duped?

If it does get through this is the end of the beginning, Brexit will continue to paralyse us for many years.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Encouraging soundbites from Juncker regarding that "no 3rd chances" line. If the deal is soundly defeated in parliament and then "no deal" is defeated the following the day, what is left if the EU have had enough and won't negotiate further?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what are the basic facts on today's vote:-

1 - What time? (has it been moved for TV?)
2 - Which fixture is it?
C - Assuming it doesn't pass, when's the replay?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
You know it's madness when the sticking point is kicking the NI/Ireland can another 2 years down the road, after 3 years without even the faintest hint of a solution.

And then arguing about what is going to happen when the issue re-arises again in 2 years time :shrug:

Nearly 3 years to come up with a withdrawal deal, ignoring the single biggest issue, and then we are going to negotiate a trade agreement and solve the elephant in the room in 21 months. Of course we are :facepalm:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes I f*****g did and my piss is still boiling.
Leave voters totally taken in, absolute shit for brains.
I also saw that stupid old ******* who I assumed was about 60 to 65 who was prepared to accept 10 years of pain after we leave until it gets better.
Well matey, you will either be nearly dead or very dead so what about the kids who don't want to leave and we have had 10 years of painful ( not necessary) austerity and you want another 10 of trouble of the kind that nobody knows how bad it will be.
And it seemed to me that he would not really be affected, leave or remain, selfish, ignorant old git.
Time to put an end to this ridiculous farce and put the stupid leave voters back in their box.

What was it that was said about Rees-Mogg....he’s the stupid person’s idea of what a clever person looks like.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Encouraging soundbites from Juncker regarding that "no 3rd chances" line. If the deal is soundly defeated in parliament and then "no deal" is defeated the following the day, what is left if the EU have had enough and won't negotiate further?

Bottom line is that us leaving with a no deal will be a disaster for Europe, won’t happen. Europe can carry on pretending to play hardball but they will blink first. Going to the wire first obviously.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

We don't leave, we all go down the pub and celebrate while all the no hopers fight in Parliament Square.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Bottom line is that us leaving with a no deal will be a disaster for Europe, won’t happen. Europe can carry on pretending to play hardball but they will blink first. Going to the wire first obviously.

I'm struggling to see how us leaving with 'no deal' and then crawling back to the EU two weeks later, taking whatever conditions they put on re-entry, is going to be a disaster for them ?

Oh I forgot, they need us more than we need them. Don't worry, 'no deal' isn't going to happen :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm struggling to see how us leaving with 'no deal' and then crawling back to the EU two weeks later, taking whatever conditions they put on re-entry, is going to be a disaster for them ?

Oh I forgot, they need us more than we need them. Don't worry, 'no deal' isn't going to happen :)

Who knows? As I said I cannot see a no deal happening :shrug:

Do you really see us leaving with no deal and then going back cap in hand?

Let’s be honest no ****er knows what is going to happen

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Just a quick scan over the last few pages. Brexiteers getting very didgy, throwing a lot of unwarranted insults about. I still think we will crash out of the EU but the uncertainty is clearly getting to some of our more unstable posters.

I think it's just trying to contain the excitement of finally finding out what they voted for 3 years ago.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Former Australian PM Kevin Rudd knows the score:

. “I’m struck, as the British parliament moves towards the endgame on Brexit, with the number of times Australia, Canada, New Zealand and India have been advanced by the Brexiteers in the public debate as magical alternatives to Britain’s current trade and investment relationship with the European Union,” he wrote.

“This is the nuttiest of the many nutty arguments that have emerged from the Land of Hope and Glory set now masquerading as the authentic standard-bearers of British patriotism. It’s utter bollocks.”

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
So what are the basic facts on today's vote:-

1 - What time? (has it been moved for TV?)
2 - Which fixture is it?
C - Assuming it doesn't pass, when's the replay?

How many replays do we get if there's no result tonight?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
[tweet]1105019469678759936[/tweet]

It's an interesting point but if May's deal fails again she has to go and we have to call an election, which means a delay.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here