Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Other then free movement laws, what laws brought in by the EU would you want changed?

Generally I don't like the fact the EU can overrule British law and British judgements.

But if you want some specifics, off the top of my head:

Free movement of labour law
The right to be forgotten rule
Child benefit for migrant workers
Working time directive
Fisheries policy
VAT on energy bills law
Climate change directive
Diabetic motorists directive

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Which we could do within The EEA as neither Iceland, Norway or Liechtenstein are within the European Customs Union.

But I am pretty sure their ability to do that is restricted by the deals they have with the EU in some way.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But I am pretty sure their ability to do that is restricted by the deals they have with the EU in some way.

They are rule takers across many areas bound by their participation in the single market and other bodies, yes. Never mind Northern Ireland, the fact is 2.1 million lorries pass through just The Port of Dover every year. We're not leaving the continent of Europe and coming out of every European body, including just the European Customs Union, is going to cause the need for infrastructure for which there is no time, money, space or technology available to implement. Although closer aligned than some want, even Switzerland and Norway outside the customs union have checks and delays on their borders.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No thanks. That isn't what I or most of the other leavers voted for. I want us to be free to set our own trade deals with other countries without any restrictions.

a) Prove it
b) It doesn't need to be most of them does it? It just needs to be the 2% that makes a majority along with the remainers.

However, all you're doing is again pointing out the major flaw of the referendum - it wasn't detailed enough.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Out of interest, how do you know this ? As a leaver I wouldn't have voted to be in the EEA.

Well for a start you have 48.1% of people who don't want to leave in the first place. Staying in the Single Market has been a key priority for voters in every poll since the referendum about priorities, including over "lowering immigration" and generally EEA comes out as the most popular choice for "what sort of Leave do you want" in all opinion polling.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No thanks. That isn't what I or most of the other leavers voted for. I want us to be free to set our own trade deals with other countries without any restrictions.

Out of interest, which trade deals aren't you happy with at the moment and what specifically about them would you want to change?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Which countries do you think will trade with us without any restrictions?

Japan - want to trade with us, in return for dropping visa requirements.
USA - have already slapped a 25% surcharge on steel.

The WTO rules on international trade, so we still have to abide by their rules.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Generally I don't like the fact the EU can overrule British law and British judgements.

Working time directive
Fisheries policy
VAT on energy bills law
Climate change directive

Off the top of your head, or cut and pasted from a Metro article?

https://metro.co.uk/2017/03/29/10-eu-laws-that-could-get-scrapped-after-brexit-6541477/

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Like them or not, if Gove and Johnson had been in charge then we'd have had more bullish and less lillylivered approach to the process of leaving.

How ironic, for both Gove and Johnson stood for leader after Cameron resigned, but both voluntarily left the race.

It disgusts me that Johnson stood down in that contest, only to be savaging May now. She should call him out because at least she had the guts to take the job on two years ago, and it is a tribute to her tenacity that she herself hasn't jacked it in already.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
How ironic, for both Gove and Johnson stood for leader after Cameron resigned, but both voluntarily left the race.

It disgusts me that Johnson stood down in that contest, only to be savaging May now. She should call him out because at least she had the guts to take the job on two years ago, and it is a tribute to her tenacity that she herself hasn't jacked it in already.

Johnson pulled out because Gove took his supporters to May. It was Gove that was gutless not Johnson. Johnson pulled out because he couldn't possibly win without Gove's support.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yep that's the fella. I ignored a couple that don't bother me, including bananas.

Given that the project involves making the whole of the nation materially worse off for the foreseable future, risks peace in Northern Ireland and could end the Union, I was expecting a more chunky list of concerns.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Johnson pulled out because Gove took his supporters to May. It was Gove that was gutless not Johnson. Johnson pulled out because he couldn't possibly win without Gove's support.

Well then more fool him, because if Boris had been any sort of statesman he may have been able to convince his party that in order to deliver Brexit the government had to be led by a Brexiteer. Indeed, it was Cameron's reason for resigning in the first place.

The Tories were deluding themselves when they appointed Remainer May to lead Brexit and she compounded that folly by appointing Remainer Hammond as Chancellor.

Boris may eventually get his wish to be leader of the Tories, but they are now a moribund party who have alienated younger voters and run public services into the ground. Umunna would trounce Boris in a General Election.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017

Working time directive
Fisheries policy
VAT on energy bills law
Climate change directive

What is wrong with the right to be forgotten rule and do you think the UK would change it anyway?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Barnier....

"NI backstop arrangement can not be extended to the rest of the UK"

That puts the cats amongst the pigeons!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here