Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Could they not vote on it now, and agree a period (eg, 1 month) which the UK could rejoin on current terms, agreeing to waive any veto during that period? Legally, I can't see why not.

If all 27 agreed, as they would have to with an extension of A50, I guess they could, but I can't see everyone agreeing to give us a get out of jail free card which might encourage a go at what No Deal actually feels like.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Slightly OT but when we pull out of Europe with whatever deals will we be able to ignore the EU ruling on spot light bulbs and get back to having proper bulbs which show up brightly.rather than the dull 40w maximum permitted and available now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Slightly OT but when we pull out of Europe with whatever deals will we be able to ignore the EU ruling on spot light bulbs and get back to having proper bulbs which show up brightly.rather than the dull 40w maximum permitted and available now.

All existing EU law will become UK law, you will have to lobby parliament to get a law changed. Or you could try these new fangled LED lights, 20W equivalent to an old 100W bulb.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If all 27 agreed, as they would have to with an extension of A50, I guess they could, but I can't see everyone agreeing to give us a get out of jail free card which might encourage a go at what No Deal actually feels like.
I wasn't suggesting it was likely, I just thought it was a legal possibility.

If we get to the end, and it looks like we will leave without a deal anyway, the EU might like to offer it as an option, as it would be best for them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I wasn't suggesting it was likely, I just thought it was a legal possibility.

If we get to the end, and it looks like we will leave without a deal anyway, the EU might like to offer it as an option, as it would be best for them.

We won't leave with no deal Trig.

I may have mentioned this once or twice before :wink:

Patience is a virtue

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

What is amusing is people did vote with reasoning like this!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

The only reason I mused out loud about it is that so much of the Hard Brexiteers' strategy seems predicated on the notion that they just need to get us over the line on March 29 and then it doesn't matter what disasters unfold. A limited-period 'return ticket' would change that dynamic. What you say about a get out of jail free card is entirely valid, although of course nothing is free in this debacle - the Leave vote has already cost us £60bn in lost growth. I agree it's unlikely though.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

On the contrary this is very much on topic.

People didn't vote for Brexit thinking on the basis of mundane things like wishing to run low on vital pharmaceuticals, losing jobs or the GFA being put at significant risk, like keeps getting banged on about. They voted to get their country back so that incandescent light bulbs can be legalised once again so that people can see.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Imagine the worst possible scenario. That's what will happen. Guaranteed.

I believe a certain Mystic said 2.5 years ago that the three options were

1.Softest of soft Brexits
2. Another vote (either GE or referendum)
3. No deal

And that 3 was never going to happen :angel:

Although it does look like the backstop could mean a fudge to 5 years before leavers find out what they voted for, but nothing changes, it will be 1 or 2 :shrug:

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I believe a certain Mystic said 2.5 years ago that the three options were

1.Softest of soft Brexits
2. Another vote (either GE or referendum)
3. No deal

And that 3 was never going to happen :angel:

Although it does look like the backstop could mean a fudge to 5 years before leavers find out what they voted for, but nothing changes, it will be 1 or 2 :shrug:

The losers vote has been torpedoed.
May’s surrender document is not going to pass through Parliament.
Legal default is that We Leave EU on 29th March 2019.

On our way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here