Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Honda decision has everything to do with Brexit

Japanese companies choose the UK as the access point into the EU

Brexit means that access point is either not the same or at worse completely lost

Japan and EU have agreed a new trade deal

Japanese companies have three options;

1. Stay in the UK and risk tariffs
2. Relocate operations to mainland Europe within the EU
3. Return production to Japan

Car production is infrastructure heavy and as such it's must be cheaper to return where your production lines are already set up than build new ones on mainland Europe

There will be EU import tariffs on cars from Japan until 2027. If this decision was down to Brexit they would relocate to mainland EU. Sounds like option 3, return production to Japan as production has declined , there is now existing spare capacity in Japan to accommodate the move

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
You are like a stuck record. Admit you also don't know what you voted for.

I know exactly what I voted for. The simple fact is that 2 years and 8 months after the referendum (and I have to admit, even to my surprise) you still don't know what you voted for. Sorry if you find that upsetting or like a stuck record, but it is a simple fact :shrug:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Honda decision has everything to do with Brexit

Japanese companies choose the UK as the access point into the EU

Brexit means that access point is either not the same or at worse completely lost

Japan and EU have agreed a new trade deal

Japanese companies have three options;

1. Stay in the UK and risk tariffs
2. Relocate operations to mainland Europe within the EU
3. Return production to Japan

Car production is infrastructure heavy and as such it's must be cheaper to return where your production lines are already set up than build new ones on mainland Europe

Indeed. You’d have to be a one eyed raving looney to try and argue anything different

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
There will be EU import tariffs on cars from Japan until 2027. If this decision was down to Brexit they would relocate to mainland EU. Sounds like option 3, return production to Japan as production has declined , there is now existing spare capacity in Japan to accommodate the move

Very good point about the import tariffs for the next few years, but you would imagine that a multi million pound corporate like Honda my invest in long term planning over a number of years rather than to try and guess what their future may look like in something under 40 days :shrug:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So what did you vote for, with or without a deal ?

You have previously confirmed that i voted to Leave the EU, with or without a deal.
Are you not going to tell us exactly what is happening on the 29th.......go on......have a word with your imaginary friend and get her to tell you an actual prediction.
Are you still sticking with Brexit wont happen and we will stay in the EU or is she telling you something different

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I know exactly what I voted for. The simple fact is that 2 years and 8 months after the referendum (and I have to admit, even to my surprise) you still don't know what you voted for. Sorry if you find that upsetting or like a stuck record, but it is a simple fact :shrug:
You are, with respect, taking nonsense. No one in 2016 knew the shape of the EU in two years time, nor did they know what shape it would take in the next few years. Perhaps it was predictable that extremism would rise due to the EU's unpopularity on the continent, but I for one am surprised that Italy's Deputy Prime Minister was in Paris meeting with opposition protesters. It was also a surprise to me that the Italian Ambassador was sent back to Italy, a move not seen since France was falling to the Nazis in 1940. Did you foresee that happening?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
You have previously confirmed that i voted to Leave the EU, with or without a deal.
Are you not going to tell us exactly what is happening on the 29th.......go on......have a word with your imaginary friend and get her to tell you an actual prediction.
Are you still sticking with Brexit wont happen and we will stay in the EU or is she telling you something different

Sorry, I now remember you saying that you are equally happy with TM's deal, A Norway deal or 'no deal' which is why you are one of the select band of leave voters who would go for any option. Don't know what you want and don't know what you are going to get :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You are, with respect, taking nonsense. No one in 2016 knew the shape of the EU in two years time, nor did they know what shape it would take in the next few years. Perhaps it was predictable that extremism would rise due to the EU's unpopularity on the continent, but I for one am surprised that Italy's Deputy Prime Minister was in Paris meeting with opposition protesters. It was also a surprise to me that the Italian Ambassador was sent back to Italy, a move not seen since France was falling to the Nazis in 1940. Did you foresee that happening?

All political situations evolve, but that doesn't alter trade agreements or treaties.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Voting Remain meant nothing changed at the time. It was the status quo.
The choice was simple, stay or remain. Both were plain choices.

How either end up is open to discussion and interpretation. Voting for remain was certainly not a vote for the status quo as the EU is developing. In fact it is it's evolution, that has changed the minds of many who were quite happy to be part of a common market, into leave voters.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
BTW Honda employees have been told nothing official yet, Its quite disgraceful how the media get a leak before the staff are informed.....

leaves open the potential the story isnt quite the full story. not as if anyone in the media has an interest in distorting a story :whistle:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

I believe I am talking perfect sense and there are huge amounts of data accumulated over 40 years to back that up. I was very clear what I was voting for and what influence and vetoes I would have in the future direction of the EU. It's obviously passed you by, but it's all extremely detailed and agreed by all EU members.

You, however voted 'Leave the European Union' and 2 years 8 months later still have no idea what that means :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The choice was simple, stay or remain. Both were plain choices.

How either end up is open to discussion and interpretation. Voting for remain was certainly not a vote for the status quo as the EU is developing. In fact it is it's evolution, that has changed the minds of many who were quite happy to be part of a common market, into leave voters.

We were told there would be greater political union right at the start. We also knew we had power of veto which is why we didn't join the euro.
The UK has been at the forefront of a lot of EU legislation. It was a Brit who wrote Article 50.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We were told there would be greater political union right at the start. We also knew we had power of veto which is why we didn't join the euro.
The UK has been at the forefront of a lot of EU legislation. It was a Brit who wrote Article 50.
We were told there would be greater political Union from the start?

Are you claiming that this was spoken about when we voted to join the common market?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Sorry, I now remember you saying that you are equally happy with TM's deal, A Norway deal or 'no deal' which is why you are one of the select band of leave voters who would go for any option. Don't know what you want and don't know what you are going to get :thumbsup:

Talking out your arse as usual.
fe6y34ba_3810.jpg

Still dont want to say exactly what is happening on the 29th.......surprise surprise. Same old Meg, still cant make an exact prediction.
Worst crystal ball EVER.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I believe I am talking perfect sense and there are huge amounts of data accumulated over 40 years to back that up. I was very clear what I was voting for and what influence and vetoes I would have in the future direction of the EU. It's obviously passed you by, but it's all extremely detailed and agreed by all EU members.

You, however voted 'Leave the European Union' and 2 years 8 months later still have no idea what that means :shrug:
The whole referendum was awful and divisive imo. I wasn't happy with either campaign.

It is no wonder that we don't know what leaving will look like as for one we have never done it before and for that matter no one else has either.

It is also no surprise that the process is so messy as both political parties are riven by the issue as are the public. We have a government led by remainers mostly, who have charge of leaving. It's a recipe for disaster.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

to be fair a lot of leave voters did understand what it meant, simply leave. its the politicans who seem they had no idea how to do that, ruminating and navel gazing, expect someone else to work out how for most of that time.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We were told there would be greater political Union from the start?

Are you claiming that this was spoken about when we voted to join the common market?

Yes, by Ted Heath. Winston Churchill wanted it back in the 40s.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here