Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You are indeed correct, we could choose not to collect tariffs (as long as we do it for the whole of the WTO) but I think you'll find that the implications of not collecting tariffs is a little more than us just 'missing out'.

I understand that British Industry and Agriculture may have fairly strong views on this ???

So basically the US could dump a million tonnes of cheap hormone beef on the UK market. No tariffs, no checks

I guess this will demonstrate Patrick Minford's theory (JRM's sole source of economic wisdom) that British farming and manufacturing would be destroyed

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
View attachment 104375

Malted milk okay? Chocolate makes me cough.

I’m The Clamp. I used to post as Nibble. I now post as The Clamp. I was indeed going to move out of the U.K.
I was either going to the Republic or Ireland or Australia, where I have family. Unfortunately my Mother, My Father and my Brother died in quick succession. Mum and Dad died of cancer and my 39 year old Brother dropped dead of a heart attack leaving a wife and 6 year old son behind. When the vote took place about a year later I decided to stay in the UK to be near my remaining immediate family. I hope that has cleared up any confusion you are suffering from.

So no, it takes a little more than realism over Brexit to depress me, although I do find it all rather gloomy.

Malted milk? :)

I used to try and nibble around the cows as a kid on those ( see what I did there :wink: ? ). Rather impressed with the mug as well ! :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I read that post as not collecting tariffs at all and that has huge implications.

If you are saying that we simply delay collecting them until sometime after the point of entry, then yes I agree. (See, it does happen :))
Well the net result might be that they don't get collected at all, because we can put the ownus of declaration on the importer.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So basically the US could dump a million tonnes of cheap hormone beef on the UK market. No tariffs, no checks

Errrr ..... no. Where in the statement did it say or suggest that imports that we currently check would stop being checked ? So direct imports from the US will still be checked and the US couldn't bring that beef in via the EU as the EU won't allow it's import.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I thought you'd been denying this for the last couple of years?

Nope, never denied it. I have been "out" for about 18 months now. But it really is a dull conversation that I have no desire to have, least of all with you. There aren't enough hours in the day.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Well the net result might be that they don't get collected at all, because we can put the ownus of declaration on the importer.

It's onus.

Think you're getting confused with what the rest of the world is going to do if we simply wave stuff through.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Leavers threaten and foretell civil unrest if we don't leave the EU. I predict unrest if we do.
Civil Contingencies Act if we leave with *no deal*.

Anti-Terrorism Act measures if we bin brexit.

Nice choice, but the top one is far worse.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I read that the Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney will be visiting Washington later this week. I wonder if he'll mention the issues surrounding the Backstop and Good Friday Agreement to his American hosts and what their reaction to us 'reneging' on it and what our future 'credibility' will be as a result of being seen to do so, as Congressman Boyle put it last week. As they're very proud of what Senator Mitchell helped broker in the 1990's in The Democratic Party, it'd be rude of Mr Coveney not to.

https://news.sky.com/story/minister...uence-over-us-post-brexit-trade-deal-11628579

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

But if we could show that it was pure incompetence rather by design, the WTO would accept that. (And I think we have an extremely strong case)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
An opinion on the backstop that is shared by his Attorney General Seamus Wolfe, who didn't see any issues with it breaching The Good Friday Agreement. Rather like the Attorney General for Northern Ireland who also didn't raise any objections. Or indeed the Attorney General for England and Wales whose advice on it was published. Or his predecessor Jeremy Wright QC who was in office when the backstop was first formulated and agreed. Or his predecessor Dominic Grieve QC. Or Sir Keir Starmer QC who accepted today the backstop is needed when meeting the Leader of Sinn Fein in Northern Ireland today, who also doesn't have a problem with it.

The only people who have an issue with it are oddball Brexiteers. Funny that.

Attorney general's also advise that Governments can legally invade middle eastern countries or trigger article 50 without a parliamentary vote … doesn't mean they are always morally or legally correct. Excuse me if I don't take arch remainer Dominic Grieve's vue as impartial. Sir Keir Starmer doesn't seem to be aware of his own Leader's opposition to having a backstop with no unilateral exit or Labour party policy that any back stop must be acceptable to both communities in Northern Ireland. Speaking of which, the whole foundation of the GFA is based on both sides accepting it yet you and others want to follow a policy where the Unionist side strongly object to any situation where they are separated/ treated differently from the rest of the UK. Hardly surprising that Sinn Fein along with the Irish government don't have a problem with barriers going up between Northern Ireland and the UK is it.

For Brexiteer oddball see Architect of GFA and Nobel peace prize winner. As you know both Brexiteers and many remainers inside and outside parliament have entirely legitimate issues with the backstop as does your preferred PM the Leader of the Labour party. Suggesting that they all want to rip up the GFA or dismissing them as oddballs or English ***** is quite frankly ridiculous

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Leave voters have divided the U.K and may yet be responsible for the dissolution of the U.K.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here