Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The electorate didn't choose the *no deal* abyss.

It would be a deliberate act by a cruel Government to impose it.

well yes they did, the remain campaign made quite a lot about economic impact and people voted to leave anyway.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
well yes they did, the remain campaign made quite a lot about economic impact and people voted to leave anyway.

Weren't they all told not to believe it because "Project Fear"? The official Leave campaign specifically said we would leave with a deal, and prominent leavers were adamant this deal would be easy.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Weren't they all told not to believe it because "Project Fear"? The official Leave campaign specifically said we would leave with a deal, and prominent leavers were adamant this deal would be easy.

that may be, point is we cant say "no one was told, therefore we cant do full on hard brexit". because we were then, and since repeatedly.

not that it'll happen, it seems to me the chances of adopting the May deal is increasing, if not there will be a last minute extension.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
that may be, point is we cant say "no one was told, therefore we cant do full on hard brexit". because we were then, and since repeatedly.

not that it'll happen, it seems to me the chances of adopting the May deal is increasing, if not there will be a last minute extension.

I don't recall seeing Operation Brock or tearing up the Good Friday Agreement on a side of a bus either back in 2016.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

There was a myriad of reasons some people voted leave, immigration, the lie on the Bus, the ECJ being perceived as having precedent over Parliament, blue passports, our contribution to the EU budget, racism, wanting to go it alone, kicking the Tori’s up the arse, to name a few.

Apart from blue passports, I have personally heard examples of all of the above.
I’ve heard no one say they voted leave to be poorer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good argument for going ahead with Brexit when we get a deal.

However, the leave campaigning literature said we would be leaving in an ordered way with a deal, thereby ruling out a *no deal* cataclysm.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I don't recall seeing Operation Brock or tearing up the Good Friday Agreement on a side of a bus either back in 2016.

you're right, not much was made about that issue. wasnt the point being made though was it? would you suggest that Brexit and no deal should be abandoned on these grounds? I would think its a strong case, but seems no one is actually making that case, spending time highlighting food shortage instead.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
your right, no much was made about that. wasnt the point being made though was it? do you suggest that Brexit and no deal should be abandoned on these grounds? I would think its a strong case, but seems no one is actually making that case, spending time highlighting food shortage instead.

No, but Brexit is about far, far more than just the economics of it though. I'm not saying it should be abandoned, but the nostalgic, fantasy version being pursued and accompanying red lines should be.

It was a 59% leave vote in Kent for example - nobody voted to turn it into a lorry park.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Too late. The Tories don't care and even though their party is being torn apart, they will preserve their millions, and will ruin the NHS. It is already well on the slide, with 42000 nursing vacancies, no bursary for British nurses to train at university, and 12000 doctors vacancies.
Ambulance services stretch beyond capacity, and hospital transport already out to tender.

And don't even begin to mention mental health provision ??????

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
However, the leave campaigning literature said we would be leaving in an ordered way with a deal, thereby ruling out a *no deal* cataclysm.

i think we established long ago the leave campaign told a few fibs. (as did remain, but these are so important right now, all we really learnt is not to trust the political class)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yes they did. That was one possible outcome for leave.

I see what you mean, but 'Vote for Brexit and have the halcyon days of Phase 4 Operation Stack as a daily feature of Kent life' wasn't being sold in 2016.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i think we established long ago the leave campaign told a few fibs. (as did remain, but these are so important right now, all we really learnt is not to trust the political class)

Broke the law. Why is the government suppressing the National Crime Agency into their investigations of criminal activities when it has been established by the Electoral Commission that the law was broken? Told a few fibs indeed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I see what you mean, but 'Vote for Brexit and have the halcyon days of Phase 4 Operation Stack as a daily feature of Kent life' wasn't being sold in 2016.
Vote for Brexit and become an 'Airstrip One' dependent territory of the USA wasn't either but that is where *no deal* takes us in the end ( at best ).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes they did. That was one possible outcome for leave.

You've changed your tune. For months you've banged on about 'it wasn't on the ballot paper' ...... where was creating a lorry park in Kent on the ballot paper ? Oh, it wasn't !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Vote for Brexit and become an 'Airstrip One' dependent territory of the USA wasn't either but that is where *no deal* takes us in the end ( at best ).

Thing is with that, I think quite a few people would be more than happy for us to be 'America's bitch' though.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
With all we know now it is safe to dismiss the opinion of anyone that still thinks Brexit is a good idea. They are crackpots.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
It's utterley cringeworthy as to what lengths some people on here strive to frighten the general public.

Food shortages, shortages of medicines, no sandwiches, no music etc etc. Utter poppycock

Same people on here would have been saying the world would end if we didn't join the exchange rate mechanism, the euro, blah blah blah

You don't frighten us we've heard it all before.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's utterley cringeworthy as to what lengths some people on here strive to frighten the general public.

Food shortages, shortages of medicines, no sandwiches, no music etc etc. Utter poppycock

Same people on here would have been saying the world would end if we didn't join the exchange rate mechanism, the euro, blah blah blah

You don't frighten us we've heard it all before.

Whistling past the graveyard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here