Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Checkatrade v Leyton

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Why not make this game free to season ticket holders and a pound each for everyone else . Proceeds to charity. Whatever. Fill the stadium for the young team . Be a great experience for us and them too ...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why not make this game free to season ticket holders and a pound each for everyone else . Proceeds to charity. Whatever. Fill the stadium for the young team . Be a great experience for us and them too ...

G0ood idea, but won't Orient have to agree? Share of the takings and all that.................

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Isn't the idea that we boycott it in protest at the seeping of 'B' teams into the lower pyramid and the overhaul of a completely decent (if somewhat random) competition that aimed to give small clubs a chance to go to Wembley?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Isn't the idea that we boycott it in protest at the seeping of 'B' teams into the lower pyramid and the overhaul of a completely decent (if somewhat random) competition that aimed to give small clubs a chance to go to Wembley?

Was about to post the same thing. Was with a Luton fan last who was disappointed they had so many at their game last night.

They've taken an already really shit competition that NO ONE gives a shit about until the regional finals (even then not a great deal) and made it even shitter.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Yeah this.

I am entirely against our competing in this.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Was about to post the same thing. Was with a Luton fan last who was disappointed they had so many at their game last night.

They've taken an already really shit competition that NO ONE gives a shit about until the regional finals (even then not a great deal) and made it even shitter.

It was shit, but it was kinda fun as well. Tickets for a tenner, you never really minded if you missed a game, no inclination to go away, saw a few kids/new signings that hadn't made a splash, and you MIGHT have got to Wembley. Now it's just shit.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why would the proceeds go to charity rather than pay for the match day stewarding etc?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It was shit, but it was kinda fun as well. Tickets for a tenner, you never really minded if you missed a game, no inclination to go away, saw a few kids/new signings that hadn't made a splash, and you MIGHT have got to Wembley. Now it's just shit.
This. There was definitely something appealing about a cheap, lesser tournament without much tension and pressure.

Now it is just truly crap.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

A noble sentiment, but I don't think even letting everyone watch for free, will be a big enough draw to anything like fill the stadium.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not sure that I agree with the majority of the posters on this thread.

Yes it's a shame for the original League One and Two clubs that some Championship and Premier League 'B' teams have entered the competition.

But conversely, from a selfish viewpoint, I think it's great that it gives some of our younger players much needed experience, of pitting their wits against senior professionals, and in front of (slightly) bigger crowds.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yes

D

Deleted member 22389

Shame it wasn't another club, we could fill the stadium and give the other club a good pay day, do something charity and give our younger players a taste of what it's like to play in front of a larger crowd.

I'm sure if we get through to the latter stages the stadium will fill up anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not sure that I agree with the majority of the posters on this thread.

Yes it's a shame for the original League One and Two clubs that some Championship and Premier League 'B' teams have entered the competition.

But conversely, from a selfish viewpoint, I think it's great that it gives some of our younger players much needed experience, of pitting their wits against senior professionals, and in front of (slightly) bigger crowds.

To be fair, that is. as you say, a selfish viewpoint. Horribly selfish. If a Manchester United fan said the same thing when we were down there we'd have been a little cross.

What was a competitive tournament for lower league clubs has been utterly devalued. I wouldn't go if I was paid to.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Shame it wasn't another club, we could fill the stadium and give the other club a good pay day, do something charity and give our younger players a taste of what it's like to play in front of a larger crowd.

I'm sure if we get through to the latter stages the stadium will fill up anyway.

I'm sure it won't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here