Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"The Liverpool supporters’ union Spirit of Shankly is to consult the club’s fans and Hillsborough families over the possible introduction of standing sections at Premier League grounds.

LSU members were asked at last month’s AGM whether the organisation should adopt a position on rail seating, following discussions with fellow supporters, and 93% voted in favour, it was announced on Wednesday, while 4.7% were against and 2.3% abstained. The proposal was in response to growing debate, including at government level, over the introduction of safe standing areas in the top two tiers of English football, and Celtic’s decision to open a 2,975-capacity standing section this season."

Do you think Mr Bloom would introduce safe standing if the fans voted for it?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
"
Do you think Mr Bloom would introduce safe standing if the fans voted for it?

No, directors always been super cagey every time the question has come up and we'd have to apply to the council for something or other before it can be granted . . . non technical wording.

Don't think it will ever be a goer for us unfortunately. We certainly wouldn't be amongst the first batches to do it.

SAC

May 21, 2014
There is another thread somewhere about this with a video saying he would be open to it, isn't there?

There was one, I can't see it now though.

No, I don't think it will ever happen. Not at the Amex and probably not anywhere else in the top two divisions, which is a real shame.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
There is another thread somewhere about this with a video saying he would be open to it, isn't there?

There was thread, with a Youtube video. It has been removed from the Big Board. I guess there will be speculation that it was released by mistake / earlier than intended?

theboybilly

No, directors always been super cagey every time the question has come up and we'd have to apply to the council for something or other before it can be granted . . . non technical wording.

Don't think it will ever be a goer for us unfortunately. We certainly wouldn't be amongst the first batches to do it.

I think the reverse is true and Albion could be one of the first to try it in England. The North and South Stands are not particularly deep - my only thought was that allowing standing in the central sections only would impact on the views from the corners so it might be more suitable to try it in the North Stand throughout at first. We are one (if not the only - I'm not too sure) clubs that keep bars open after the game and it's worked really well as has inviting visiting fans into 'Home' concourses for a drink. Maybe these successes might stand us in good stead for a trial at Safe Standing.

el punal

I think the reverse is true and Albion could be one of the first to try it in England. The North and South Stands are not particularly deep - my only thought was that allowing standing in the central sections only would impact on the views from the corners so it might be more suitable to try it in the North Stand throughout at first. We are one (if not the only - I'm not too sure) clubs that keep bars open after the game and it's worked really well as has inviting visiting fans into 'Home' concourses for a drink. Maybe these successes might stand us in good stead for a trial at Safe Standing.

A hypothetical situation then : Let's say the club go ahead with a section of the Amex for safe standing, for example the North West corner. I would imagine that there would have to be a limited capacity of fans attending for health and safety reasons. So for a particular match, for instance, all tickets for this section are sold out. Then there is the problem that perhaps other North Standers (in the seated areas) want to join them but can't because of the numbers restriction.

The club are then faced with a problem. To ensure that only those with Standing tickets are allowed in this section would mean having to install separate entrances, a separate area of the North concourse, separate toilets and so on. For logistical reasons then it would have to be an entire area within the ground to accommodate this measure - maybe the South Stand, as half of it is segregated for away fans. Then of course, wherever it is in the ground, you will have to relocate those fans who have season tickets for seating.

It's not an easy exercise to carry out however you look at it.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Genuine question, as I have no axe to grind either way ; in those grounds, and I assume that there aren't many, where it has been trialled/introduced, have there been any problems relating to safety or indeed anything else?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The club are then faced with a problem. To ensure that only those with Standing tickets are allowed in this section would mean having to install separate entrances, a separate area of the North concourse, separate toilets and so on. For logistical reasons then it would have to be an entire area within the ground to accommodate this measure - maybe the South Stand, as half of it is segregated for away fans. Then of course, wherever it is in the ground, you will have to relocate those fans who have season tickets for seating.

It's not an easy exercise to carry out however you look at it.
It's only difficult for people who don't want to do it. A safe standing area doesn't have to be completely segregated, with separate toilets, entrances,etc. That's nonsense. With safe standing, you are still allocated a nominated and labelled place on which to stand. You'll have a ticket for F14 or whatever, whether that has a seat to be sat on or not. As a very simple way of doing it, the rows at the back could be converted for safe standing.
Safe standing is not, and never will be, s return to the terraces, of surging forward to watch corners, etc.
Won't happen though - those in charge are too dead-set against it.

el punal

It's only difficult for people who don't want to do it. A safe standing area doesn't have to be completely segregated, with separate toilets, entrances,etc. That's nonsense. With safe standing, you are still allocated a nominated and labelled place on which to stand. You'll have a ticket for F14 or whatever, whether that has a seat to be sat on or not. As a very simple way of doing it, the rows at the back could be converted for safe standing.
Safe standing is not, and never will be, s return to the terraces, of surging forward to watch corners, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for safe standing. I've been to enough Albion away games to enjoy watching the match on my feet, not really possible in the West Upper though!

With regard to your "nonsense" comment, I was trying to put across the view that the club, or nay-sayers, would come up with. Anything and everything is possible. There is a problem, however, on ensuring that fans stand where their allocated ticket tells them to - it really is impossible to implement, unlike if you are allocated a seat.

Mine final bit - like you, I agree with having a standing area in the back few rows. Easily accessible and without the disruption of annoying those fans who want to sit. Whether any of this will ever happen - who knows?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for safe standing. I've been to enough Albion away games to enjoy watching the match on my feet, not really possible in the West Upper though!

With regard to your "nonsense" comment, I was trying to put across the view that the club, or nay-sayers, would come up with. Anything and everything is possible. There is a problem, however, on ensuring that fans stand where their allocated ticket tells them to - it really is impossible to implement, unlike if you are allocated a seat.

Mine final bit - like you, I agree with having a standing area in the back few rows. Easily accessible and without the disruption of annoying those fans who want to sit. Whether any of this will ever happen - who knows?

Fairy nuff.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
As a customer i think the club prefer it if we all sit down and do as we are told . Clap when asked sing on cue pay as much as can be squeezed out of us .let the stewards pull poeple out for small miss demeaners. Go home and feel like well tbats another 80 quid gone. After putting up with some gobby sod shouting all game that you cant really move away from.
As a supporter get terracing back asap

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Financially it's better as you can fit more ticket buyers into a safe standing area. But I thought the point in increasing the capacity beyond 30750 was mooted on account of the capacity limitations due to public transport / facilities at the ground?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
As soon as it comes in in this country. Be it in however many years, the pressure will be so great on other clubs to follow that the Albion will end up with it too. IMO taking beer to your seat will come way before safe standing though.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Exactly, it's standing, it's safe. I don't understand any opposition to it.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
[TWEET]783763413914845188[/TWEET]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here