Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't Panic: Tenerife Insists Volcano ISN'T About To Erupt...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
... despite all the UK tabloids suggesting Mount Teide may be about to blow :ohmy:

https://www.thelocal.es/20161005/dont-panic-tenerife-insists-volcano-isnt-about-to-erupt

'In recent days a series of mini-quakes have been detected by seismologists on the island hitting south west of Mount Teide, the volcano that dominates the skyline of the Canary Islands.

Around 100 mini-quakes were recorded within 12 hours on Sunday.

Although equipment recorded at least 100 quakes during Sunday none of them were strong enough to be felt by people on the surface so islanders were perplexed at headlines in British tabloids warning of "panic" that the volcano was about to blow.

But while the seismic activity was largely ignored in the Spanish press, The Daily Express, The Sun and The Mirror all ran sensationalist stories warning holidaymakers of an imminent eruption.'

Run for the hills! :eek:

Edit: No, don't do that, run AWAY from the hills! :eek:

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm off to Iceland at the end of the month, same situation. Few small earthquakes and the Media are all over it like beans on toast. They've linked it to Iceland's biggest Volcano which hasn't erupted for 100 years or so (historically erupted every 50 years prior to that)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's America's eastern seaboard that needs to panic! Well not the seaboard but the people on the low ground.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm off to Iceland at the end of the month, same situation. Few small earthquakes and the Media are all over it like beans on toast. They've linked it to Iceland's biggest Volcano which hasn't erupted for 100 years or so (historically erupted every 50 years prior to that)

To be fair tho, Iceland's got previous. The smaller volcano with the name like a dropped scrabble board grounded most all european airspace for a full week in 2010. The one that 'hasn't erupted for 100 years or so' is apparently five times bigger. Have a grand trip and be sure to report back (I'm off out there meself, prob before the end of the year, apocalyptic eruptions permitting)

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
To be fair tho, Iceland's got previous. The smaller volcano with the name like a dropped scrabble board grounded most all european airspace for a full week in 2010. The one that 'hasn't erupted for 100 years or so' is apparently five times bigger. Have a grand trip and be sure to report back (I'm off out there meself, prob before the end of the year, apocalyptic eruptions permitting)

I remember the 2010 one all so well, I got stuck in Marbella!

You have a great trip also.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
This panic about Tenerife stems from that documentary years ago where they speculated that another tidal wave could hit the West of England, if the mountain collapses into the sea. Apparently something like that happened about 700 years ago and the whole of Somerset was inundated for weeks according to medieval records.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
This panic about Tenerife stems from that documentary years ago where they speculated that another tidal wave could hit the West of England, if the mountain collapses into the sea. Apparently something like that happened about 700 years ago and the whole of Somerset was inundated for weeks according to medieval records.

Underwater landslide off the coast of Ireland caused that by all accounts.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm here and no signs of the reported panic apart from last nights rush to get beers before happy hour finished

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here