Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The French Connection

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...g_connection_tops_the_Championship_standings/

Argus saying the Gaetan Bong to Anthony Knockaert link has provided more goals than any other such combination in the division so far this season, according to stats-based website whoscored.com.

Bong has indeed struggled for form in the early stages of the seasons, but now it appears he is getting back to his best and getting a good number of assists like he did at the start of last season. At the start of last season, his connection was Lualua, with Kaz making an electrifying start to the season with Gaetan behind him. That, interestingly, was attributed by Lualua to the fact that they are from french speaking nations (DR Congo and Cameroon). He said that they spoke together in french when playing, and that helped their link-up. I wonder if it's the same with Knockaert? He does play on the other wing but the connection is certainly there.

What do you think in general about languages between players, do you think it can give them and edge over the opposition? More generally, how important do you think good communication is between the team as a whole in relation to what language they speak? Do you think it matters particularly if a player cannot speak a word of his team's language?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It obviously does matter if a player doesn't speak the same language as his teammates, unless that player has contrived to locate a similarly effective form of non-verbal communication -- which I doubt.
If that Bong-Kaz French thing is the case, what's distinctive about that is they're communicating to each other in a language that is different to all, if not most, of the opposition players, and that gives a special edge.
I doubt Bong and Knockaert have much opportunity to speak to one another during games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here