Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Same old Tories - completely out of touch

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
From Theresa May's conference speech.

The opening paragraph:

81 days ago, I stood in front of Ten Downing Street for the first time as Prime Minister, and I made a promise to the country.

I said that the Government I lead will be driven not by the interests of a privileged few, but by the interests of ordinary, working-class families. People who have a job, but don’t always have job security. People who can just about manage, but worry about the cost of living and getting their kids into a good school. And this week, we’re going to show the country that we mean business.

Insert almost half hour speech entirely about Brexit...Final paragraph:

So let’s have a great week here in Birmingham this conference. Let’s get this plan for Brexit right. Let’s show the country we mean business. And let’s keep working to make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few but for everyone in this great country.

Woeful keynote speech, taking half hour to endlessly repeat what could have been said in 5 minutes flat before moving on to address other issues.

But the thing that tickles me is her little bit on "ordinary, working-class families." You know..."People who own their own home, but worry about paying the mortgage." :facepalm:

Er, Theresa, have you not noticed the millions of in work benefit recipients who currently have no chance of ever owning their own home, unless of course they're lucky enough to be in scarcely available Social Housing. You've help at hand for them of course, by embarking on another disastrous round of 'Right to Buy' to screw the next generation over even more than this current one who have been left out in the cold.

Have you not noticed the current Housing Benefit budget Theresa??? I think there might just be an Elephant in the room somewhere.

Same old Tories. No idea what reality is like for millions of working people.

Remember the...Keep a spare can of petrol in the garage in case the tanker drivers strike. Of course, we all have a garage, surely to God. :rolleyes:

Or this absolute gem in the midst of, what was it?, 4 million unemployed?:

Or good old Norman Lamont. Just remember folks, it was a price well worth paying :thumbsup: Gideon didn't agree though, apparently???

Absolutely laughable.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So sad that the British public have been so torn between this bunch of out of touch morons and the other Bunch of out of touch morons for so long now. Democracy doesn't work with both parties that don't care about the public, working class or middle class regardless. Somehow the voters have to identify with what Corbyn is doing and make sure there is some real change in the next government.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

The opening paragraph:

81 days ago, I stood in front of Ten Downing Street for the first time as Prime Minister, and I made a promise to the country.

I said that the Government I lead will be driven not by the interests of a privileged few, but by the interests of ordinary, working-class families. People who have a job, but don’t always have job security. People who can just about manage, but worry about the cost of living and getting their kids into a good school. And this week, we’re going to show the country that we mean business.

So let’s have a great week here in Birmingham this conference. Let’s get this plan for Brexit right. Let’s show the country we mean business. And let’s keep working to make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few but for everyone in this great country.

Woeful keynote speech, taking half hour to endlessly repeat what could have been said in 5 minutes flat before moving on to address other issues.

But the thing that tickles me is her little bit on "ordinary, working-class families." You know..."People who own their own home, but worry about paying the mortgage." :facepalm:

Er, Theresa, have you not noticed the millions of in work benefit recipients who currently have no chance of ever owning their own home, unless of course they're lucky enough to be in scarcely available Social Housing. You've help at hand for them of course, by embarking on another disastrous round of 'Right to Buy' to screw the next generation over even more than this current one who have been left out in the cold.

Have you not noticed the current Housing Benefit budget Theresa??? I think there might just be an Elephant in the room somewhere.

Remember the...Keep a spare can of petrol in the garage in case the tanker drivers strike. Of course, we all have a garage, surely to God. :rolleyes:

Or good old Norman Lamont. Just remember folks, it was a price well worth paying :thumbsup: Gideon didn't agree though, apparently???

Absolutely laughable.

Yes, absolute scandal that people should buy their own house -bet you have yours

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So is the OP saying that ordinary, working class people cannot own their own home?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, absolute scandal that people should buy their own house -bet you have yours

How much you want to bet?

Can you not see the bigger picture then? The clue is in the the word SOCIAL Housing.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am obviously lacking your intelligence in that I fail to see the bigger picture, or at least the bigger picture in your mind -obviously you do.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So is the OP saying that ordinary, working class people cannot own their own home?

I'm saying that an increasing number of "ordinary working families" currently have very little chance of owning their own home and are caught in the private rent trap because there isn't enough social housing.

The housing benefit bill to us taxpayers is absolutely huge!, and shows no sign of reducing anytime soon. Another 'Right to Buy' scheme won't solve that.

By the way, in fairness, Labour have done bugger all in recent years to address the Housing scandal we currently have in this country either. It's just that the Tories seem to have no clue of how millions of working people living. They're almost Marie Antoinetteish in their proclamations.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

The problem with selling council housing is that we are not replacing it, the result of which means the welfare budget is often paying housing benefit to private landlords who are getting rich at the taxpayer's expense. I don't have a problem with right to buy if we replace the houses however this is just not happening. This government have sold so many of the countries assets for a quick buck that will never be seen again. A classic example of this was the government selling our share in Eurostar, a profitable growing business that was making money year on year and only getting more popular. So we may have made a big one off profit but will never see any money ever again.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm saying that an increasing number of "ordinary working families" currently have very little chance of owning their own home and are caught in the private rent trap because there isn't enough social housing.

The housing benefit bill to us taxpayers is absolutely huge!, and shows no sign of reducing anytime soon. Another 'Right to Buy' scheme won't solve that.

By the way, in fairness, Labour have done bugger all in recent years to address the Housing scandal we currently have in this country either. It's just that the Tories seem to have no clue of how millions of working people living. They're almost Marie Antoinetteish in their proclamations.

At least some element of realism here, and not just Tory bashing. But given that they represent between 10 and 12 million voters, it is probably fair to say that they DO have some clue of how working people live.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The problem with selling council housing is that we are not replacing it, the result of which means the welfare budget is often paying housing benefit to private landlords who are getting rich at the taxpayer's expense. I don't have a problem with right to buy if we replace the houses however this is just not happening. This government have sold so many of the countries assets for a quick buck that will never be seen again. A classic example of this was the government selling our share in Eurostar, a profitable growing business that was making money year on year and only getting more popular. So we may have made a big one off profit but will never see any money ever again.

fair comment.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Theresa May says ' the UK economy is fundamentally strong'.... try telling that to those still waiting for their first pay rise for years as we are " All in this together " and " Working hard to get on "... Nice words but no comfort to those on £7.30 an hour

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Theresa May says ' the UK economy is fundamentally strong'.... try telling that to those still waiting for their first pay rise for years as we are " All in this together " and " Working hard to get on "... Nice words but no comfort to those on £7.30 an hour

Are you referring to yourself, because last week it was over £8.00 per hour?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

And prices are about to soar due to the plunging pound and/or interest rates will rise bankrupting millions of hard working families who were STUPID enough to believe the Tory lies

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
And prices are about to soar due to the plunging pound and/or interest rates will rise bankrupting millions of hard working families who were STUPID enough to believe the Tory lies

Somehow I believe that this doomsday scenario might just be the teeny weeny bit exaggerated.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

The opening paragraph:

Absolutely laughable.

You can keep your can of petrol in my double garage if that helps? I've got loads of room.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Did you read and understand the whole post...........

........... loads of people would love to own their own houses but haven't got a hope in hell od ever getting there....... or even getting a decent rented place given the state of housing in the country at the moment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I don't think people think it's a scandal that those that can afford to do buy property. The scandal is that the PM seems to think there are millions of 'working class' who have bought property and struggling with mortgages rather than stating there are millions of working class that are struggling to meet their rent!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here