Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Comedy Festival

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Any idea why?
Nope. Seems to be a few gigs on at the Dome and Komedia but not the usual Autumn schedule.

I know one of the founders died a couple of years back - he was a big draw for the festival Gala and they struggled to get acts without him last year, but it seems odd for the whole event to have vanished with barely a word.

Very odd.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Possibly 'big venue' comedy has had its day? There's virtually nothing to be gained in terms of live experience/production values and why pay £30 and upwards when you could watch the same act/hear the same jokes on DVD or Netflix a few months later?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Possibly 'big venue' comedy has had its day? There's virtually nothing to be gained in terms of live experience/production values and why pay £30 and upwards when you could watch the same act/hear the same jokes on DVD or Netflix a few months later?

Good point. But I feel the same way about live music and that is still a massive draw to many

I guess for some it is just being there, I am off to see Hal Cruttenden at the weekend and really looking forward to it. Yet I was surprised that he is only playing small venues (maybe it's the whole, I am camp but not gay being a repeated joke/theme)

Jan 30, 2008
Good point. But I feel the same way about live music and that is still a massive draw to many

I guess for some it is just being there, I am off to see Hal Cruttenden at the weekend and really looking forward to it. Yet I was surprised that he is only playing small venues (maybe it's the whole, I am camp but not gay being a repeated joke/theme)
HAVE A WALK DOWN ST JAMES ST IF YOU WANT A LAUGH:wink:
regards
DR

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

There was plenty of stuff during the comedy festival that was smaller acts who don't always film their stuff, and I think their were acts who did stuff alongside it in "unofficial" venues.

Personally, I think there's a lot to be gained from the live experience as well. I genuinely find it funnier if you're in the room than watching at home.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
There was plenty of stuff during the comedy festival that was smaller acts who don't always film their stuff, and I think their were acts who did stuff alongside it in "unofficial" venues.

Personally, I think there's a lot to be gained from the live experience as well. I genuinely find it funnier if you're in the room than watching at home.
Agreed. It's hardly "big" comedy either. The Dome is the biggest venue but it's the smaller stuff that's got the cult following. Bit of a shame if they've binned it off.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Jul 7, 2003
Any idea why?

Lack of sponsorship is the main reason. Last year it just managed to go on but with no sponsor it seems to have died. Plenty of comedy around though as many acts had booked Brighton for this time expecting the festival to be on.

Biggest shame is that the charity gala isn't going ahead. Have been for the last few years and always a good night out.

Worthing seems to be booking a lot more comedy now. Ross Noble is the latest having just announced a gig there in February. Probably helps having two venues that are a nice size to fill between 800 and 1000 people. Makes it less of a risk to the promoter and my understanding is that venue hire is much cheaper than Brighton.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Lack of sponsorship is the main reason. Last year it just managed to go on but with no sponsor it seems to have died. Plenty of comedy around though as many acts had booked Brighton for this time expecting the festival to be on.

Biggest shame is that the charity gala isn't going ahead. Have been for the last few years and always a good night out.

Worthing seems to be booking a lot more comedy now. Ross Noble is the latest having just announced a gig there in February. Probably helps having two venues that are a nice size to fill between 800 and 1000 people. Makes it less of a risk to the promoter and my understanding is that venue hire is much cheaper than Brighton.

Not going to lie, I'm going to go search for those tickets right now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Last year I scrolled through the guide at all these people I had never heard of gurning for the camera and saw about 5 I had heard of and one who I wanted to see.....needless to say he was sold out before I even picked up the guide.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Surely has to be partly to do with a stagnation in headlining comedians. 10 or so years ago you could easily fill a few weeks at the Dome with the likes of Ross Noble, Omid Djalili, Alan Carr, jack Dee, Bill Bailey etc, but really that era has passed and there is a big lack of people able to sell well at mid level venues. A lot of dreck promoted to the Dome etc and I'm not surprised it has struggled. Hopefully a lull, however, rather than an end to it entirely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here