Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berlin Christmas Markets

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Anyone been?

Mrs P and I fancy going over, but looking online there are loads of different markets. Potsdamer Platz looks like a good one, but appears to be out of the centre of Berlin. The other one that looks good, and more central is at Charlottenburg Castle.

Any recommendations from anyone?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can someone please explain to me what the point of Christmas Markets actually is?

Is it just about wandering around drinking and eating, or do people actually go to these things to buy gifts for others? Or both? If present buying is part of it all, what sort of stuff do they sell that anyone would actually want?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Anyone been?

Mrs P and I fancy going over, but looking online there are loads of different markets. Potsdamer Platz looks like a good one, but appears to be out of the centre of Berlin. The other one that looks good, and more central is at Charlottenburg Castle.

Try [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] :)

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Cologne and Munich good also. Drink Gluhwein in ceramic mugs that you can bring home as souvenirs. Be amazed at how Germans can survive so much cholesterol in Christmas food. Their Christmas markets show how pathetic the markets over here are.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Having been to ones in Bruges and various other places I agree with [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. They're alright in a getting in a Christmassy mood kinda way but unless you have a particular fondness for tat, they're pretty pointless and you're unlikely to spend more than half an hour at them. Unless the ones in Germany are that much better somehow?

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Can someone please explain to me what the point of Christmas Markets actually is?

Is it just about wandering around drinking and eating, or do people actually of to these things to buy gifts for others? Or both? If present buying is part of it all, what sort of stuff do they sell that anyone would actually want?

Mainly eating Bratwurst and drinking Glühwein and good German beer.

With the occasional pancake with melted Nutella

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Is it just about wandering around drinking and eating

Precisely that I reckon - and soaking up the Christmassiness of it all. Me and MrsBackHome are going to Lille in December. Really looking forward to it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Is it just about wandering around drinking and eating, or do people actually of to these things to buy gifts for others? Or both? If present buying is part of it all, what sort of stuff do they sell that anyone would actually want?

Brownie points for me :thumbsup: Plus I've always wanted to go to Berlin.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Mrs Woody is a massive fan of these things. Mainly goes to buy glass tree decorations that only continental Europe seems to do with any great variety, but also grabs a few bits n pieces as gifts and drinks a few gluhwiens (sp) too. It is the last bit that spoils it as that stuff is like medicine! To be honest we are leaving them alone currently due to security concerns (massive crowds in enclosed public areas, big Christian religous festival, and none too far from Paris, Brussels etc etc).

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Went last Christmas to Berlin and to their markets, again tap up Herr Tubthumper he will point you in the right direction, for me the best one was the central one, Gendarmenmarkt Christmas Market, it was great and very Christmassey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UQyND_WvDM

Quite surprisingly last year was how quiet it was, expected a more 'Berlin vibe' but it wasnt happening, I suspect we were always a wrong turning away from party town, but didnt find it ....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone been?

1) Yes I have been to a few both trad and non-trad.
2) You're confusing the Potsdam with Potdamer Platz I think. The latter is very central.
3) The best traditional one in my opinion is as Gendarmenmarkt.

theboybilly

Precisely that I reckon - and soaking up the Christmassiness of it all. Me and MrsBackHome are going to Lille in December. Really looking forward to it.

I was just about to reply 'don't go to Lille'. Lille was recommended a couple of years ago and, as it's just a quick trip on Eurostar, off we trotted. To say we were underwhelmed would be an understatement. All the market consisted of was a circle of garden sheds selling stuff you would never buy as presents - little nic-nacs if you will, and also doughnut, hotdog and gluhwein stalls, all stuff you can get at a home Christmas Market. It took us all of 10 minutes to see everything it was that disappointing. Lille itself isn't much to shout about either as you get off the train into the business sector. Honestly Mattbackhome I would try to get to a market somewhere else. One of the smaller German towns would be my next choice

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Been to the ones in Bruges, Ostend, Cologne, Berlin and Prague. The wife and I are suckers for Christmas!:blush:

Leave your good taste to one side and just enjoy it. The Germans really push the boat out and the settings are spectacular. Drink beer or Glühwein with a shot of rum in it. Eat Bratwurst or sometimes ham carved off the spit. Buy a bit of tat. Let the magic of Christmas overwhelm you!

German cities tend to have more than one market. Arguably the best in Berlin is the Weihnachtszauber at the Gendarmenmarkt. unusually, it costs a euro to get in. The location and setting are beautiful. The Winterwelt am Potsdamer Platz is worth a visit if only to see the massive reconstruction that has taken place since reunification as Potsdammer platz was right on the border of the British, American and Soviet sectors of Berlin when the city was divided.

Berlin itself is a wonderful city to visit. Enjoy!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Is it just about wandering around drinking and eating, or do people actually go to these things to buy gifts for others? Or both? If present buying is part of it all, what sort of stuff do they sell that anyone would actually want?

yes its drinking and eating
the only people that buy gifts are tourists,locals avoid these places like the plague

if you are looking for a nutcracker soldier though,which no one is......you are in heaven

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Is it just about wandering around drinking and eating

This, and primarily just an initial meeting point for me. A few beers, food and some fun in a nice atmosphere whilst meeting up with others and then heading off somwhere else.

theboybilly

Brownie points for me :thumbsup: Plus I've always wanted to go to Berlin.

You'll love Berlin. Lots to see and all within easy reach either walking or by tram or train. Try to do the Reichstag tour (best to book the dome restaurant). Many, many buildings near the Brandenburg Gate still bear scars of the 1945 battle for Berlin. Beware the latest street scam which is getting money out of you for a School for the Deaf (it's a known scam that I almost got caught out with but was ushered away from by locals)
We went to Berlin for the first time this summer - we will be definitely going back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here