Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you had the heating on yet? [2016 edition]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, it's that time of year when households across the nation will do battle on just when is THE time to put the heating on again and "If you're cold, put a jumper on" will be shouted at moaning kids everywhere.

I don't know how to operate our heating - technology, eh? - but I gather it is set to kick in if the temperature drops below 16 degrees, which it did in the wee hours of Monday morning for a little while.

It definitely kicked in for longer last night, as I was lying in bed thinking "what is that bloody noise?" Turns out it was the heating or the pump or something that's involved in making the radiators wake from their Summer slumber.

I'm still in shorts of course, and yesterday was a glorious day to be out in the sun but, bbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrr, it's started to get a bit chilly over night now.

Are you ON or still OFF?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes I have my heating on all year round and thermostats set to 18 degrees at night, and yesterday morning about 5am they seemed to be gargling and making a bit of noise. I think they also turned on in my lounge last night about 9pm too. Brrrr..

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Yes, it's that time of year when households across the nation will do battle on just when is THE time to put the heating on again and "If you're cold, put a jumper on" will be shouted at moaning kids everywhere.

I don't know how to operate our heating - technology, eh? - but I gather it is set to kick in if the temperature drops below 16 degrees, which it did in the wee hours of Monday morning for a little while.

It definitely kicked in for longer last night, as I was lying in bed thinking "what is that bloody noise?" Turns out it was the heating or the pump or something that's involved in making the radiators wake from their Summer slumber.

I'm still in shorts of course, and yesterday was a glorious day to be out in the sun but, bbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrr, it's started to get a bit chilly over night now.

Are you ON or still OFF?

Yep still shorts weather.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, although our heating is set on a thermostat, it's is also on a timer, so wouldn't come on in the middle of the night, even in the depths of winter.

We have a duvet that has two different thicknesses, summer and spring/autumn, which can then be clipped together to make a winter weight.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Just finished a week of night shifts and at the weekend around 4am is was a bit chilly (not enough to put on a jumper or turn the heating on though).

That reminds me, though, that I really must get round to finishing and installing the smart controller I've been building

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Electric radiators mean that if I want to warm up, I can just put one on in the room I am in. But no, nowhere near putting one on yet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not on purpose. Noticed it was on upstairs a couple of days ago and just shook my head in disgust. Then a day later I noticed it was on downstairs. This (obviously) was too much, so I confronted the wife. She denied any responsibility, claiming she'd not put it on at all. Mystery as yet unsolved.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
Not cold enough for central heating yet but fired up the wood burner for the first time yesterday. Just to burn off the dust & cobwebs.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Had it on for an hour this morning and yesterday morning. I'm up very early and work from home, so it was a tad chilly.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Not cold enough at all yet. It was only for 30 minutes a week or so ago as we only moved into the house in April and I thought it was probably wise to check that it works

I have had the heated seats on in the car the last 2 mornings though.

I am a bit weird and don;t feel the cold unless I am tired so getting into the car at half 6 requires the heating for a little bit. But that soon goes off as well

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Cold last night so may have to turn it on soon, although it did encourage an 'early night'.
Can I, at this point, put in an advert for these internet heating units. I've got Tado but others are available. As a couple who rarely get in at same time every day we have an app on our phone that turns on the heating when we are a couple of miles from home.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
No. I turned on the gas fire at the weekend just to ensure that it still worked. I didn't want to wait until it got cold to make sure everything was working.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here