Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 48 team World Cup proposed by Infantino

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
16 teams qualify through groups (presumably winners) and then 32 go to the finals for a single game playoff to make up the next 16 teams for the group stage.

Seems very complicated but can see it being popular with FIFA delegates who vote for the next president.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So 16 teams would go to the World Cup and only play ONE match? That seems a bit ridiculous.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Diluting the quality of the event into oblivion.

We need less teams, not more.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I reckon they should make it a 73 team tournament.

Why not just make it a 128 team tournament. 3 group stages followed by a knockout. They could make it last 6 months.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
16 teams qualify through groups (presumably winners) and then 32 go to the finals for a single game playoff to make up the next 16 teams for the group stage.

Seems very complicated but can see it being popular with FIFA delegates who vote for the next president.

Sounds like a great idea, maybe we could hold it in North Korea

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So basically abolishing the current European two legged play-offs with the 2nd qualifying group team going to the finals for a play-off game. Unless the European Play-Off games remain, with the winners of that play-off going to the world Cup 1st round play-off game.

Which all sounds as interesting as the Europa league.

Which all just smacks of increasing revenue and increasing power bases for re-election and nothing to do with the quality of football.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yuk!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Which all just smacks of increasing revenue and increasing power bases for re-election and nothing to do with the quality of football.

Is of course the correct answer.

It also increases FIFA revenues as they take a greater slice of games at finals compared to qualifying matches.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Infantino promised more money every four years for every one of the 209 federations in his election manifesto. Now he has to pay the bill. Was also partly behind the 24 country Euros which I thought failed dismally in France. Lots of average teams trying hard not to lose - instead of what the Euros has always been - high quality and quite often better than the World Cup. Signs aren't good that Infantino becomes another daft dictator distancing football from the fans.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
FIFA have got to give extra places at the world cup to CONCACAF, and The AFC, at the expense of not taking places away from UEFA and CONMEBOL. End result, inevitably, to keep everyone happy, is a bigger world cup.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Given that next two world cups are in places that have no business hosting it this competition is dead to me now. FIFA are beyond parody, the stench of corruption oozes from every pore in it's being. They can do what they like with the tournament, I no longer care whilst this rancid body is responsible for it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
48 teams ?
OK, make the first round 8 groups of 6 teams playing a round robin style but with 5 points for a win and one point for each goal scored, nothing for a draw. Top two in each group goes into a 16 team knockout.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
This is inevitable with the Giant Infant at the helm. We all know that the Sex Whale was the better choice for Head Meddler at FIFA.

I used to love the world cup, those years were absolutely golden. Obviously it helped that England weren't such chokers back then, but now it is an utter, utter farce. I can't see a way it will ever recover - once you've extended it like this it will be nigh on impossible to revert the decision. I'd hope people vote with their wallets come Russia and certainly Qatar, but I suspect it won't make any difference as the money comes from TV rights and it's going to be shown on TV no matter how many fans decide to stay away.

When I'm in charge none of this shit is continuing. We'll rotate it between the home nations and other England-like countries. When we hold it in the States we'll include a 15-minute multiball power session like in that Budweiser advert. In Australia we'll allow monkey-rush keepers. I've got lots of other great ideas to spice things up on the pitch, I'll definitely get voted in.

I'm off to change my name to something more appropriate for a FIFA president-in-waiting. Dave just isn't good enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here