Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] This is how to deal with clubs in financial trouble

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Durham can't pay their bills. They get rescued by the ECB but the price is relegation AND a 48 point deduction. Imagine if the FL took this stance with every club in financial grief - we'd have clubs with minus points at the end of the season.

While I wish the FL were a bit tougher, can't help thinking that Durham have been hit hard here. Not only has it rescued Pants from relegation but that additional points penalty is a bit gratuitous. Wonder if Derbyshire will be next - they're in a real mess

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Durham can't pay their bills. They get rescued by the ECB but the price is relegation AND a 48 point deduction. Imagine if the FL took this stance with every club in financial grief - we'd have clubs with minus points at the end of the season.

While I wish the FL were a bit tougher, can't help thinking that Durham have been hit hard here. Not only has it rescued Pants from relegation but that additional points penalty is a bit gratuitous. Wonder if Derbyshire will be next - they're in a real mess

So you would have been happy for us to have got strict penalties under Archer, Stanley and Bellotti???

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I was just reading up about this

I think the key thing is that you can't get relegated from division 2. So what they are mainly saying is, you're down and next year is a write off. But after that you are on a level playing field again

If they did it in the football league then we would see teams fall down the divisions and possibly out of existence altogether as the revenue varies so greatly the lower down the pyramid you end up. Having said that I just read up and it is only the equivalent of 3 wins (not including bonus points)

Although i completely agree that something needs to be done

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The football league aren't in a position to a rescue a club in the financial mire like The ECB have here with Durham and then ban them from hosting international football too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not sure it's a similar situation. To re-ask your question, do you think Palace and Pompey should have had no penalties?

... and others.

To be fair, Durham didn't go into administration but borrowed money off the ECB to pay their creditors. It's certainly more honorable than paying 2p in the pound.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I also see that it means Durham have lost their test status meaning no test matches.

Surely this will cause further financial issues and actually seems a bit harsh on cricket fans in the area.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Didn't the ECB to a certain extent create the problem by making counties tender to host Test matches.

Durham bid too much and ended up in this sorry mess.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Eh? We're monumentally crap on the pitch, but have had 5 consecutive years of profit. Very solid financially....

So you have. I was basing this on the fact that every time I read a report about CC cricket, Derbyshire is always singled out as the county in most financial peril ... but it seems far from the truth

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
So you have. I was basing this on the fact that every time I read a report about CC cricket, Derbyshire is always singled out as the county in most financial peril ... but it seems far from the truth

It is, and is a source of mild irritation, hence my air of defence. You're absolutely right though, the ex players brigade Twaterton, Hussein etc always pointing the finger saying we don't contribute to the England team etc etc. So while Derbyshire are very reliant on their academy, teams like Notts, Durham etc etc are going round over spending and hoovering up the talent but it's us that are the problem?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Said all along it should be instant relegation and, if you would have been relegated anyway, down 2 divisions. The argument has always been it is unfair for the fans - absolute hogwash. But no-one in charge has the stones to bring it in.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes which is why this seems massively harsh.

I agree. To me, cricket has got too tough and football too soft on clubs. A club like Durham which has been encouraged in its expenditure shouldn't be a getting a worse punishment than the likes of Portsmouth

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I agree. To me, cricket has got too tough and football too soft on clubs. A club like Durham which has been encouraged in its expenditure shouldn't be a getting a worse punishment than the likes of Portsmouth

Especially as it's f***ing Hampshire who are benefiting the most from it again.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

The points is not a massive penalty approx. 2 wins ish

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

As much as I loathe many things about Portsmouth, they had two administrations, two points deductions, three relegations and at the end of 2011/12 all of their players walked out due to monies being owed to them.

They have paid a price for living beyond their means, but fair play to the 16,000 who turn up to watch them play at home each week.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here