Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto Di Matteo

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
GONE.

"Aston Villa Football Club has today parted company with manager Roberto Di Matteo.

The Club decided to act following a run of disappointing results which has the left the team occupying 19th position in the Championship.

The Club would like to place on record its appreciation to Roberto for all his efforts in helping rebuild the squad and wish him well for the future.

Steve Clarke will take over as caretaker manager during the search for a new manager.

There will be no further comment from the Club."

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That can't be true, he signed McCormack from Fulham for £12 million and Kodija from Bristol City for £11 million, therefore GUARANTEEING promotion according to wise people on the internet.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
No Surprise there...A Chinese owner who hasn't got a clue about football....This could be interesting....Chuck Loads of money at it, that'll do the trick...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That can't be true, he signed McCormack from Fulham for £12 million and Kodija from Bristol City for £11 million, therefore GUARANTEEING promotion according to wise people on the internet.

To be honest, I think he bought well this Summer.

Results thus far would suggest that's not the case, but I still wouldn't be surprised if they are in or around the top 6 by the end of the season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't think that'll cure whatever the deep-seated malady at that club is. Dead cat bounce, that's the best it will do.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
No Surprise there...A Chinese owner who hasn't got a clue about football....This could be interesting....Chuck Loads of money at it, that'll do the trick...

This.

And people wonder why China are no good at football despite the population size. Stick to the old table tennis and snooker.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Typical big club with football snobbery aspirations. Been in the Premier League too long, came down, thought it would be a piece of piss, appointed a named manager rather than someone who has been there and done it and they've got caught with their trousers down as a result.

Should have stuck with him, would have come good in the end I suspect, but you cant expect an overnight fix to a long term problem like Villa.

I thought the writing was on the wall when they signed Elphick. Other than the emotional connection would we have signed him? No, Duffy is way better.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Typical big club with football snobbery aspirations. Been in the Premier League too long, came down, thought it would be a piece of piss, appointed a named manager rather than someone who has been there and done it and they've got caught with their trousers down as a result.

Should have stuck with him, would have come good in the end I suspect, but you cant expect an overnight fix to a long term problem like Villa.

I thought the writing was on the wall when they signed Elphick. Other than the emotional connection would we have signed him? No, Duffy is way better.

£40K per week. Goes to show the utter madness at Villa.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Their backline is shit and Jedinak has had a shocker of a start to the season and offers no protection. Can't see that any manager can improve them.

Jokes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a difference between buying for the sake of it, or in McCormack's case, spending a lot of money because others have, (pure football logic pure :facepalm: ) and having a specific hole in the squad and not filing it.

I can only think of one poster desperate to fill the gap with a very expensive signing (that doesn't fit the specific need) and I'm sure all us users of NSC would like to think he's not representative of this fine board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here