Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lingard in full England squad

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
England squad

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Stoke), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Dele Alli (Tottenham)

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Personally, I don't think this says as much about his talent or level of ability than it does about the club he plays for. If he was at Everton, he wouldn't be in the squad. He is Luke Chadwick. Eventually, he'll leave Man Utd for a mid-table Premier League side and not make the grade before dropping down the pyramid. Rake in the cash, pick up an England cap or two if he can, and then not worry too much about the inevitable decline.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
He did score the winner vs the worlds greatest team so only to be expected..

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
England squad

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Stoke), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Dele Alli (Tottenham)

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

That really is a shockingly shallow pool of talent.

In hindsight, Big Sam probably dodged a bullet and is better off lying on a sun-lounger in Marbella and logging on to Profit Squad or whatever it is he does in his spare time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lallana and Clyne out injured by why Oxlade Chamberlin and Walcott I would have said one or the other and possibly added Ross Barkley as we have other wide men in Sterling and Antonio but no depth in midfield

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I fail to believe that Lingard has the ability to be a regular feature for United or England, especially considering he isn't young in football terms any more. He is a decent mid-table Prem player but no more than that IMO.

Would love to know what Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has done to get a call-up. Does he automatically get a call up if he gets through a few cameos without an injury?

Including Glenn Johnson is just bizarre. I'd rather see Joel Ward in there, he may be Palace but at least he has been playing well and isn't at the end of his career.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Let's hope they are strong enough to overcome mighty Malta.!

Really pisses me off that just as Albion are on a bit of a roll of form, we are forced into yet another 'international break' so England can take on the mighty Malta alongside other rubbish international fixtures.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I would rather have French Tony in our team than Jesse. Linguard was ok for us but he should not be England quality.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Rooney should be in midfield and I'm going to be controversial and say that Charlie Austin deserves a call-up based on his goals in the last month. He's the man most likely to bag a hat-trick against the Maltese.

Can't believe that Jesse Lingard has made it. If he can, Austin finally deserves a chance after working his way up the divisions like Jamie Vardy and Rickie Lambert.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Why stick with players like cahill and Jags. Players like Micheal Keane should be given a chance.

Very suprised that Drinkwater has missed out in midfield and Austin or Deeney were given a chance up front.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Cahill and Jagielka have been rubbish for England in the main, Keane has earnt his way to the Premier League and he should not only be in the squad but he should be in the team. Charlie Austin the same, Danny Drinkwater as well. If Southgate is no more capable of picking the players in form, then he's not the man for the job.

If a foreign coach is going to come in without bias, and without needing to pick the highest profile players, then that's who the job should go to.

At least he's got the goalkeeping selections right.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here