Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough - Ground safety rules ; a flag.....

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Following a steward's search of my bag at yesterday's match, I had to leave my flag in a hut before being allowed into the ground. The reason given - I couldn't produce a Fire Safety Certificate for it. I kid you not. No pole, this was just a folded 5' square flag Albion flag.

The steward ignored all my questions and a senior steward then came over and 'confiscated' the flag.

It begs the question(s) :

- Why are cigarette lighters/boxes of matches permitted?
- Why don't all grounds have such a policy?
- Why the inconsistency across stadia across the country?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
When we arrived for the play off game a steward boarded our coach and gave a big list of stuff that couldn't be taken in including flags fireworks flares etc. Didn't stop the home fans from letting off 3 flares and throwing a hot drink at Hemed. I'm so glad we beat them yesterday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've heard of the requirement to have a fire safety certificate for a flag before but, like you say, it's not a consistent rule across grounds, and probably quite uncommon.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It would be interesting if you had asked to see their fire safety certificate for the giant flag that was paraded in the home end prior to the game. Also given its size is it not a health and safety issue

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think we are very good at letting fans bring in there flags into the Amex I just think it's a jobs worth steward.
:albion2:

I'm sure I read on here that our stewards have stopped fans in the north taking flags in without fire safety certification.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If there is one ground in the country where stewards are likely to be scrupulous in following the letter of any elf and safety directives/rules it's probably going to be Hillsborough ....

Ah, previous post beat me to it!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Did they do a "fire drill"

I recall taking the giant REMF flag into Hillsborough years ago. We were required to produce the fire safety certificate (which we did) and the stewards were helpful in getting it displayed over empty seats for the duration of the match. They let it be driven up to the stadium entrance pre-match and collected by car afterwards.

What was banned, however, was the sale of fanzines inside the ground.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It would be interesting if you had asked to see their fire safety certificate for the giant flag that was paraded in the home end prior to the game. Also given its size is it not a health and safety issue

We had to have a fire certificate for the giant flag we had at Withdean. When I took it to Hillsborough I had to show the certificate, then they let it in no problem, was the same at other grounds we took it to.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I am very disappointed to hear that it was giant rather than MASSIVE.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
If you google "football flag fire certificate" quite a lot comes up on the subject - including sites selling flags with certificates - not sure of reasons behind it - I am sure lots of other day to day articles taken into grounds can burn?

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Entering the North Stand at the Goldstone over thirty years ago, my mate had his telescopic umbrella confiscated (by a policeman) and the same policeman asked me to explain the significance of two badges I had on my jacket...were they extremist or inflammatory? They were Sussex County Cricket Club and the Society of Sussex Downsmen (now the South Downs Society). This guy must have been the original jobsworth. Never saw the umbrella again, either!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
14050779781321.gif

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We had to have a fire certificate for the giant flag we had at Withdean. When I took it to Hillsborough I had to show the certificate, then they let it in no problem, was the same at other grounds we took it to.

I can understand it, with the really large flags/banners, but a 5" square flag that we use every week at the Amex?

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'd guess that all grounds have this as part of their safety certificate. Just not all of them enforce it.

I remember reading that Charlton stewards confiscated newspapers from away fans.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here