Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] (The rest of) The Championship 1/10/16

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One of those rare days when all 24 sides are playing. A lot of sides could overtake us today if we lose, with a worst case scenario of dropping to 11th spot.

QPR win 2-1 at Fulham in the early kick-off.

Ten games kicking off at 3pm before Wolves v Norwich in the late game.

bobbyc

Aug 9, 2016
Newcastle's squad is completely ridiculous, I had no idea Christian Atsu was even there! They're gonna run away with this league.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Newcastle's squad is completely ridiculous, I had no idea Christian Atsu was even there! They're gonna run away with this league.

Still only one point ahead of us...at the moment...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not too much going our way today, beyond at Hillsborough.
Birmingham 1 up
Bristol City now leading 2-1
Hudds 1 up vs Ipswich
Newcastle 1 up

The good bits are:
Reading are losing
Brentford are drawing, and
Villa are confirming that they're a shambles, and are not prepared for the Championship

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Not too much going our way today, beyond at Hillsborough.
Birmingham 1 up
Bristol City now leading 2-1
Hudds 1 up vs Ipswich
Newcastle 1 up

The good bits are:
Reading are losing
Brentford are drawing, and
Villa are confirming that they're a shambles, and are not prepared for the Championship

It looks as if Barnsley are on the way down, which will not surprise those there at the match to see them give us little real competition. Huddersfield were not much better, paying us so much respect with their time-wasting tactics almost from the start, and I have expected them to slide. But this has not happened and a win against Ipswich, when the home team were presumably desperate to win in their second successive home game, and McCarthy's teams are so physical, suggests that they might be in it for the long haul. Given that 4 German players were involved for them today, when we are frequently told that the British game is so much more physical and continental players need time to adjust, perhaps we all need to sit up and take note. I still think that the winter will catch them out with injuries and suspensions taking their toll, but it is of course quite possible that they will emulate Burnley three years ago, when everyone thought that they would not have the necessary staying power.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It looks as if Barnsley are on the way down, which will not surprise those there at the match to see them give us little real competition. Huddersfield were not much better, paying us so much respect with their time-wasting tactics almost from the start, and I have expected them to slide. But this has not happened and a win against Ipswich, when the home team were presumably desperate to win in their second successive home game, and McCarthy's teams are so physical, suggests that they might be in it for the long haul. Given that 4 German players were involved for them today, when we are frequently told that the British game is so much more physical and continental players need time to adjust, perhaps we all need to sit up and take note. I still think that the winter will catch them out with injuries and suspensions taking their toll, but it is of course quite possible that they will emulate Burnley three years ago, when everyone thought that they would not have the necessary staying power.

Agree with most of this. I still don't think they'll last the pace, and the biggest challengers will be Newcastle and then Norwich, or maybe even us. Sheff Wed will be there or thereabouts, so today's result really was MASSIVE.

Glad to see that Derby and Villa have started so badly. I'd expect Bristol City, Brentford and Birmingham to be up there too.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Huddersfield v Massive in the next round of matches.

Some nice points dropped there.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
RDM on borrowed time surely? 50m spent and very little to show for it. Seems any early season confidence has evaporated.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Satisfying day to say the least. Derby laughable, Aston Villa fragile, beating the Massive away at theirs, so what could be a better Saturday/weekend?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here