Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy 50th Birthday Botswana

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Dumela.

I lived in Gaborone for over 2 years, and today, the 30th of September, the best country in Africa celebrates 50 years of independence from The UK. :clap2::drink::clap:

It has it's problems, but I think it's the dictionary definition of a developing country. There was less than 20km of tarmacked road in the entire country 50 years ago for example. I lived down there when The Amex opened and I can still remember seeing a game from The Amex on Supersport in Botswana for the first time when we played Liverpool in 2011.

If you ever get the chance or inclination to visit there, do so. They love their football too. Tell them Brighton & Hove Albion, they'll tell you Championship.

Incidentally, a seriously good film, by the looks of it, is being released later this year 'A United Kingdom' starring David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike as the first President of Botswana and his English wife. The current President, their son, is English born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_United_Kingdom

They've also got the best national anthem in the world, and unlike us, their national broadcaster plays it everyday.

Pula.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Nice country, had a nice little adventure hitch-hiking from Maun to Vic Falls about 20 years ago. Lucky country too, finding some massive diamond mines not long after independence, Francistown was a quirky little place, chic stores with fashionable shoppers a stones throw from the desert.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Botswana does patriotism, not nationalism though. The genuine pride they have in their flag and country is brilliant and they know they're not the greatest in the world at everything too.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Nice country, had a nice little adventure hitch-hiking from Maun to Vic Falls about 20 years ago. Lucky country too, finding some massive diamond mines not long after independence, Francistown was a quirky little place, chic stores with fashionable shoppers a stones throw from the desert.

The one time I went to Maun there was a power-cut all weekend! Agree with you about Francistown, I liked it and the main shopping area Blue Jacket Street.

The problem Botswana will have is what will it do in the future when the diamonds run out....................

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't know much about Botswana except for the novels, and tv series, Number 1 Ladies Detective agency. I thoroughly enjoyed them, with the distinct sense of humour running through them. It was refreshing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here