Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton roots for new prospective England manager

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
From a 2011 article about Rangnick :
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...es-Ralf-Rangnick-Manchester-United-clash.html

'I lived near Brighton for a year. For me these were some of the best months of my life. I lived with a family and I am still in contact with them today. Twice a week I would take the fast train to London and watch a First Division game.
'I'd see either Arsenal or Tottenham usually. But Brighton and Hove Albion were in the First Division then so I'd go to the old Goldstone Ground. It was one of the best years of my life.
'I was studying English and PE at Stuttgart university. I was a guest student at Sussex university.
Rangnick also played while in Brighton. He had been a junior with Stuttgart but never made it as a top-flight professional. In England he joined a local team.
'I played for Southwick - do you know that club? I had longer hair then,' he said. He broke two ribs in his second match.
Southwick FC were in Sussex County League Division One then. Their secretary Paul Symes said: 'Ralf Rangnick was here for about six months, he was at a local college. He played two or three times in the first team, in the Floodlit Cup v Worthing. One lad from back then remembered the name but couldn't remember how good he was.'
Rangnick made an impression - as a leaving gift Southwick's players bought him a ticket for the Arsenal v West Ham 1980 FA Cup final - and soon proved to be good at coaching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here