Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cuba

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Anyone been? We're going next month for a couple of weeks. Staying in a hotel in Varadero but obviously want to explore a bit locally, spend a couple of days in Havana etc.

One thing that's confusing me is currency as some places say you should take US dollars and others that this is daft because of the 10% exchange rate surcharge. Looks like it's probably best just to take £ and use the exchanges there (carefully as they rip people off) but I'm not 100% sure. Cos it's a closed currency you can't get any changed until you get there from what I've read.

So. Any advice, recommendations etc etc?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Tail end of. Looks like it's really warm but with showers most afternoons.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We went to Cuba around 10 years ago and did similar - 2 weeks in Varadero and a few days in the middle in Havana.

From what I remember there are two forms of currency, one for locals and one, essentially for tourists. You're not forbidden from using the local currency, but you won't be given it when you make your Forex transactions.

I think we just took USD cash with us. The locals are very happy to take USD directly from you.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I went to Guardalavaca which is the other end of the island so not much help, other than to say don't leave your trainers out in the open unattended. Nor anything else for that matter!

I rented a jeep & got driving around venturing to Baracoa which had been only accessible by sea for all but the past few years. Great place to visit especially if you get away from the obviously designed to take foreigners money type of place.

Be ready for the hustle. Be ready for the poverty. Be ready to have fun. And Canadians.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Any advice, recommendations etc etc?

Colleague of mind went there on holiday recently.

He took a few canisters of tennis balls and gave them out to the kids in the villages who generally have nothing or very little. Within seconds small groups of boys and girls were playing impromptu games of street football, cricket, baseball, catch etc. He said the smiles on the children's faces was worth the airfare alone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been twice but around 15 years ago so I guess the currency side of things has changed. I have travelled all over the island and I'd recommend getting out of Havana for a few days if you can. Vinales is stunning and I really enjoyed Trinidad.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I've been spent a month there. How long you going for & what do you like doing? (Apart from watch football)

Habana is amazing. Havana vieja area as well as central around capitolio. Can easily spend 3 days absorbing atmosphere.

Vinales isn't far. Picturesque mogotes to see & rural walk. People do it in a day trip but easier if you can stay a night as its a full on day.

Stay in private houses - casa particulares - with the local inhabitants rather than hotels. Cheaper & fed well + if you're interested they can sort you out with onward travel arrangements, places to stay etc. Everyone's got a cousin who does what you want.

I went 10 years ago mind. Hope it's still as authentically run down crazy as it was. You'll have a fab time. The loveliest people I've ever met - considering guys my age are asking me if I had spare t shirts or jeans as even if they had money they didn't have supplies for sale. Always felt safe -mainly as in the harsh areas armed police are on most corners.

I went to Trinidad - beautiful tourist trap. Santiago - 2ND city & baracoa - outback style place. Didn't go holguin or other main tourist place cape something

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Be ready for the hustle. Be ready for the poverty. Be ready to have fun.

The Mrs speaks fluent Spanish and doesn't stand for any shit so we're generally ok on the hustle front anywhere where that's the language. Which is a bonus.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Here we go, at last something I'm an expert on. Fill yer boots NSC I'm in.
Veradero. Beautiful soft sand all the way. Great hotels.
Hop On/Off tourist bus runs the entire length of the strip to all hotels. Use it to get into the local town. Keep on it to drive past Al Capones house.
The local town is both touristy and local flavour. Some good restaurants at night.
Havana. It's a must do. From Veradero it is a coach trip away. Book the trip with an overnight show. You should get one morning free plus full guided tour of all the famous places you've seen on TV.
The old cars are just as you'd expect although Cuba is changing. In one of the trips into the local town haggle with a driver to take you back to the hotel. Quite cheap and worth it to drive along in a 1950's open top Cadillac.
Don't expect Coca Cola, McDonalds or much Western produce. 99% is imported from China but the Rum is good.
In Havana you will be taken to the old town, a world heritage area. In the square with the old church, far end is a brew pub. Food and ale is excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. Drop them a small tip to keep the personal ash tray.
Currency. They use the Convertible Peso as tourist currency and that is what you have to use. Exchange at the hotel, rate is fixed. Word of warning though, check, double check and check again your money at the exchange before you walk away from the counter. Con artists.
In Havana you will be very very safe so walk around and go of the tourist track. Obviously don't be flash, but I always felt secure.
And finally you will get fed up with Ernest Hemingway.
Feel free to PM me.
It will be an experience.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So. Any advice, recommendations etc etc?

My eldest son has just come back, said they had a good time.
One thing he did tell me was that he ran out of sun cream, he went to buy some out there and it's really expensive, he shopped around and the price was the same in all shops.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here