Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HR question re employment

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Only been in the job about 14 months.
At the moment I work 40 hrs Monday to Friday.
That's in my contract.
There's every chance soon the company will want the 7 of us
(field service engineers that is) to be on call at weekends as they've promised
Some new customers a 3hr response time.
I'm not willing to do this if it happens.
If seems to me they'd have to draw up new contracts etc but can they enforce it?
I'm not sure if I have any rights as I've not been with the company 2 years so probably I'd get dismissed?
Any advice most welcome

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't know the answer but I would certainly start making a note of any conversations you have with your boss about this as well as any other disagreements.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
They will need your consent to change the contract as fundamentally as introducing weekend working. With 14 months employment, you have very few employment rights. If you're not prepared to work weekends, as you say is the case, you can either resign or wait for them to give you notice. If you're pretty certain they're going to introduce weekend working, and you're not prepare to reconsider whether you're happy to work weekends, start looking for another job. Good luck...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Under the Tories your employment rights are next to nothing unless you're in a union, best bet if you're not is to get in touch with ACAS and get some proper advice

I agree. You don't have to have union representation at work to be in a union. You can pay by direct debit to a union who are then happy to legally represent you in any dispute.

I'm not sure of the consequences of your job but I used to work Mon-Fri, 8.15-5pm, when the company I worked for decided to open 6 days a week, 8-8, but negotiated it on a voluntary basis, with hours being filled by new recruits.

It is difficult for them to change your contract without negotiation, so get proper advice as soon as possible.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I agree. You don't have to have union representation at work to be in a union. You can pay by direct debit to a union who are then happy to legally represent you in any dispute.

I'm not sure of the consequences of your job but I used to work Mon-Fri, 8.15-5pm, when the company I worked for decided to open 6 days a week, 8-8, but negotiated it on a voluntary basis, with hours being filled by new recruits.

It is difficult for them to change your contract without negotiation, so get proper advice as soon as possible.

Need to check the small print. When I joined Unite, I was aware that there was a six month period after joining before you could get legal representation (although I think you could get free advice).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Under the Tories your employment rights are next to nothing unless you're in a union, best bet if you're not is to get in touch with ACAS and get some proper advice

Your rights are the same if you are in a union or not. But Ernest knew that anyway.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What do your colleagues think ? There's a heap of difference between one person not wanting to do it and everyone.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
What do your colleagues think ? There's a heap of difference between one person not wanting to do it and everyone.
Only spoken to two of the others. One started same time as me and other one been there over 2yrs.
Both said they won't do weekends either.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Only been in the job about 14 months.
At the moment I work 40 hrs Monday to Friday.
That's in my contract.
There's every chance soon the company will want the 7 of us
(field service engineers that is) to be on call at weekends as they've promised
Some new customers a 3hr response time.
I'm not willing to do this if it happens.
If seems to me they'd have to draw up new contracts etc but can they enforce it?
I'm not sure if I have any rights as I've not been with the company 2 years so probably I'd get dismissed?
Any advice most welcome

Not sure what type of field service engineer you are, but my friend who runs a company servicing, installing and repairing industrial washing machines is currently trying to employ two more, but can't find enough staff.

He doesn't offer weekend call outs, although he has been asked about it by some of his customers.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It's no good having rights if you haven't got anyone to tell you them and represent you and no good having rights if you can't afford the grand to go to a tribunal

Wellthickwoody knew that anyway

Turning an old adage on its head, ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law. And as someone else pointed out earlier, unions expect six months membership before offering legal representation. It's called taking responsibility for yourself, but the far left don't want people to think for themselves do they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here