Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Root - £1m Central Contract

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Blimey!

Who would have thought there was so much money in cricket? I've always thought of cricketers getting by on quite modest rewards but clearly that's not true for all.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Which is£20k a week, the same as Joey Barton at Rangers, I know which one is better value and which is over paid

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yeah it's peanuts compared to some very average football players.

Root gets quite a bit from sponsorship etc too but as mentioned, he's worth every penny and more.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
One of the finest cricketers in the world and hopefully will only get better. ECB spend some money wisely shock horror.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Root is clearly a fabulous cricketer but how is that contract value arrived at ? Unlike club players it's not as if he can go and play for someone else....

he can do EXACTLY that (become a very rich T20 mercenary) and is precisely the reason behind the central contracts.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
he can do EXACTLY that (become a very rich T20 mercenary) and is precisely the reason behind the central contracts.

Fair enough...money money money.
Much as I enjoy watching Joe bat though I don't think I am going to line up to say what wonderful value for money he is. All that's really happening is the game is paying him a Kings ransom not to sell his career short in global T20. I think it would be better to reward other cricketers and youngsters and coaches rather than go down the football route.
I'm really not trying to sound cynical (and failing) but football has become venal and it's too late....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Joe Root is worth every penny of that.

OUTSTANDING at all formats of the game.
This, he is excellent across all formats of the game, a rare bird indeed and one who deserves to be rewarded and treasured.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Root is England's most successful cricketer in modern history. A success in all forms of the game. A good ambassador and spends most of his existence away from home. 20k a week ? There's EPL under 23's who spend their footballing days on a bench earning that.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Much as I enjoy watching Joe bat though I don't think I am going to line up to say what wonderful value for money he is. All that's really happening is the game is paying him a Kings ransom not to sell his career short in global T20. I think it would be better to reward other cricketers and youngsters and coaches rather than go down the football route.
I'm really not trying to sound cynical (and failing) but football has become venal and it's too late....

I think you're misunderstanding the situation.

All the England players on central contracts are on a good screw and rightly so.

I know that Cook, Anderson and Broad are already on contracts of a similar level so seeing as Root is vice captain, not to mention our best player, it's hardly "going down the football route" for him to be paid a similar amount.

The ECB isn't exactly struggling for cash and the central contracts are a major part of the transformation of the England test team from what it was in the 90s to what it is now.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

All the England players on central contracts are on a good screw and rightly so.

I know that Cook, Anderson and Broad are already on contracts of a similar level so seeing as Root is vice captain, not to mention our best player, it's hardly "going down the football route" for him to be paid a similar amount.

The ECB isn't exactly struggling for cash and the central contracts are a major part of the transformation of the England test team from what it was in the 90s to what it is now.

Yeah, I take your point on parity.
The trouble is when you go down this route it never stops. The difference between the rewards at the top level and the rest will get bigger and bigger. Eg football.
I don't buy the argument that there is no issue as average footballers get paid more. This is widely accepted to be ruining the game and I would rather cricket didnt go the same way ( probably too late for that)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yeah, I take your point on parity.
The trouble is when you go down this route it never stops. The difference between the rewards at the top level and the rest will get bigger and bigger. Eg football.
I don't buy the argument that there is no issue as average footballers get paid more. This is widely accepted to be ruining the game and I would rather cricket didnt go the same way ( probably too late for that)
Cricket is in danger of being ruined by a lot of different forces but paying our best players properly really isn't one of them.

Central contracts have been around for what, 10 years+ and all they've done is help to improve the England team.

It's not comparable to football as the finance models are completely different.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
If there were transfers in cricket, he'd be an £89 million pound man :wink:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

I'm not aware of difficulties, but a number of counties are really struggling.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

theres been a few wobbles but central contracts (and especially in this case) have been great for England. I know there are other factors at play such as coaching but I am finding it difficult to find fault with this one.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
It's absolutely bugger all. We're so used to hear footballers' salaries discussed in weekly amounts that it doesn't register how much they really earn. It's always said that so-and-so earns X thousand a week. We know it's a lot but a ' thousand' is a word we can relate to, after all we talk about our own salaries in terms of thousands. Really all the contracts should be reported in terms of millions. If someone is on £150,000 a week at Man City on a three year deal then their contract is actually worth 23.4 million!

So Joe Root, a world class cricketer, is earning just under £20,000 a week. I wonder how many footballers earn more than that? Indeed I wonder if any Brighton players earn more than that?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here