Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Golden opportunity for the FA to reform and stand up for the good of the English game?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Excellent piece in the Guardian:

The fall of “Big Sam” Allardyce, the manager of the English national football team who resigned after 67 days in the job, is a tragedy in the sense that it is a human drama of hubris, followed by nemesis. Allardyce is a man who, as the recordings obtained by subterfuge show, can be lured by promises of cash into making unguarded jibes about his peers and colleagues. For a potential £400,000 he was prepared to say the unsayable. Pride fuelled by greed saw him brag of ways around banned financial schemes where players become the property of speculators. Over the next few days more tales of football’s dirty deals are promised. The beautiful game will be besmirched. There was no need for Big Sam to sit down with the fake businessmen. He was already being paid £3m a year to be manager. The flower of English football is being eaten by canker worms of money and avarice.

Since television money flowed into the sport in the early 1990s, the Premier League has become less a local English affair and more a global one. That has some benefits: better facilities and bigger names on the pitch. However, with top-flight clubs owned by foreign investors and English players making up a third of Premier League teams, there is a feeling that English football is becoming detached from its roots. Such is the concern that Andy Turnham, the Labour mayoral candidate for football-mad Manchester, thinks a quota on foreign players is needed.

While England’s top flight has become the richest league in the world, it is not the best. On Uefa rankings the Premier League is behind both’s Spain’s La Liga and Germany’s Bundesliga. It’s been five years since an English club – Chelsea – won the European championship. There’s simply not enough bang for the television big bucks. Last year the Premier League sold television rights to its live games for a record £5.14bn. That’s more than £10m a match, up 70% from the last time. Yet there is no evidence that the quality of the basic product – football matches – has improved. Coaches too often put results ahead of entertainment, in part because of the enormous sums at stake. Packed stadiums are more to do with clever marketing than better football. The television cash is largely swallowed up by players’ wages, managers’ contracts and agents’ fees. England’s team of millionaires being beaten by Iceland, whose top division is a part-time league, shows how little money is related to talent.

To correct this market failure, politicians should restrict the number of games broadcast on pay-TV and set aside some top matches for free-to-air TV. More people will watch the games. The BBC would be able to showcase an expression of national cultural identity. Commercial free-to-air channels could benefit from advertising. Highlights on the BBC draw millions more than a single match on pay-TV. With competition from free matches, TV deals will shrink. Clubs will reduce player salaries. The wealth of club owners and media tycoons will drop. There is an argument that there will be less money available for the grassroots. Yet the dearth of homegrown English players shows that not enough is being done. True, today’s stars are undoubtedly fitter and better trained. But what counts is people’s enjoyment. Players will still emulate their heroes: Zidane, Schmeichel and Platini. All of whom pleased fans without being paid the sort of sums that are now morally and financially bankrupting football.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ls-crisis-tv-money-is-the-root-of-the-problem

The fall of “Big Sam” Allardyce, the manager of the English national football team who resigned after 67 days in the job, is a tragedy in the sense that it is a human drama of hubris, followed by nemesis. Allardyce is a man who, as the recordings obtained by subterfuge show, can be lured by promises of cash into making unguarded jibes about his peers and colleagues. For a potential £400,000 he was prepared to say the unsayable. Pride fuelled by greed saw him brag of ways around banned financial schemes where players become the property of speculators. Over the next few days more tales of football’s dirty deals are promised. The beautiful game will be besmirched. There was no need for Big Sam to sit down with the fake businessmen. He was already being paid £3m a year to be manager. The flower of English football is being eaten by canker worms of money and avarice.

Since television money flowed into the sport in the early 1990s, the Premier League has become less a local English affair and more a global one. That has some benefits: better facilities and bigger names on the pitch. However, with top-flight clubs owned by foreign investors and English players making up a third of Premier League teams, there is a feeling that English football is becoming detached from its roots. Such is the concern that Andy Turnham, the Labour mayoral candidate for football-mad Manchester, thinks a quota on foreign players is needed.

While England’s top flight has become the richest league in the world, it is not the best. On Uefa rankings the Premier League is behind both’s Spain’s La Liga and Germany’s Bundesliga. It’s been five years since an English club – Chelsea – won the European championship. There’s simply not enough bang for the television big bucks. Last year the Premier League sold television rights to its live games for a record £5.14bn. That’s more than £10m a match, up 70% from the last time. Yet there is no evidence that the quality of the basic product – football matches – has improved. Coaches too often put results ahead of entertainment, in part because of the enormous sums at stake. Packed stadiums are more to do with clever marketing than better football. The television cash is largely swallowed up by players’ wages, managers’ contracts and agents’ fees. England’s team of millionaires being beaten by Iceland, whose top division is a part-time league, shows how little money is related to talent.

To correct this market failure, politicians should restrict the number of games broadcast on pay-TV and set aside some top matches for free-to-air TV. More people will watch the games. The BBC would be able to showcase an expression of national cultural identity. Commercial free-to-air channels could benefit from advertising. Highlights on the BBC draw millions more than a single match on pay-TV. With competition from free matches, TV deals will shrink. Clubs will reduce player salaries. The wealth of club owners and media tycoons will drop. There is an argument that there will be less money available for the grassroots. Yet the dearth of homegrown English players shows that not enough is being done. True, today’s stars are undoubtedly fitter and better trained. But what counts is people’s enjoyment. Players will still emulate their heroes: Zidane, Schmeichel and Platini. All of whom pleased fans without being paid the sort of sums that are now morally and financially bankrupting football.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ls-crisis-tv-money-is-the-root-of-the-problem
:lol:

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I don't think you or the Guardian understand who the FA are. They will NEVER do anything that sacrifices revenues and money. The FA is a Gentleman's club that will not change any time soon, and thus the state of football in this country will only continue to deteriorate (at ironically, a higher cost to fans).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pie in the sky suggestions. The Guardian seems to have forgotten that it's the PL that sells rights to the games and not the FA. And wouldn't it be the FL that sells rights to Championship games?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
But doesn't the FA essentially sub contract these rights (to run a league) out to the various bodies?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Too many stable doors, too many horses, I'm afraid.

Any serious attempts to reform the situation would be thwarted by litigation (a la Bosman). We, as fans, will just have to lump it. Sadly.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
After our humiliating exit in the Euros at the hands of a North Sea fishing village, Paul Hayward in the DT called for a Royal Commmision/Public enquiry type review into our Nationals Game as the only way forward such are the deep rooted problems.

I'm inclined to agree. Anything else is just same old same old.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There is only one thing that would make the rulers of the game sit up and do something, and that is for an absolute 100% boycott of every professional match by the fans, and mass cancellations of tv subscriptions. And we all know that will never happen. I'm as guilty as everyone in that I readily hand over my hard-earned to Murdoch every month.

I cannot think of another "industry" where the "customers" come absolutely last in the thoughts and actions of those that run it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I cannot think of another "industry" where the "customers" come absolutely last in the thoughts and actions of those that run it.
Agree with the first part of your post, but as for this last part I could very quickly start making a very long list!

There is only one thing that would make the rulers of the game sit up and do something, and that is for an absolute 100% boycott of every professional match by the fans, and mass cancellations of tv subscriptions. And we all know that will never happen. I'm as guilty as everyone in that I readily hand over my hard-earned to Murdoch every month.

I'm doing my bit,not put a penny into the the pro game for two years and when my sky contract ends in December its goodbye sky!:moo:
I think most industries like the customer to think they are cared for that's the trick while extracting as much cash for as little service as possible:eek:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The FA is a mini FIFA, £19m to bid for the World Cup and no questions asked? No real governance, weak messages to referees on discipline, players clearly swearing on the television, homophobic overtones, huge wages. This corruption cascades right through the game and even appears on our televisions with the punditary failing to criticise poor performance on the pitch and players challenging referees. Its good to see Greg Dyke piling in now he is away from it and failed to win the World Cup, there's no real criticism from within the game. Anyone thinking this behaviour is not the norm does't follow the game too closely.Its racket and its being perpetrated at all levels.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I am not sure if this is even true. If you take as a measure how many times a national club side has won the European cup, then you could come to this conclusion. But surely it is the strength in depth that is the more accurate measure of the whole league. Whilst Germany and Spain have teams that are clearly better than our league leaders, could you maintain that, say their top 8, are collectively as strong as ours?
Also, using the example of the Iceland match, is not really fair. It was a wholly abominable performance, of course, but one that was so poor, that, lets be honest, is unlikely to be repeated in the near future, though I am certainly not praising the England set-up at present. England did also win in Germany last season, so, by the logic of the Guardian's piece, we should be the strongest team in Europe.
I do, however, agree the amount of money sloshing about is proving to be quite a problem, with perhaps a gradual alienation of the fans.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm beyond caring now. I support Brighton, enjoy watching and supporting them, but don't give two shits about the rest of it. I know plenty who feel the same.

This latest embarrassment should really really be the last and final wake up call English football needs. But it won't be will it? The FA will muddle on, England will continue to talk themselves up and then flounder, Big Sam will get another job in a few months and the industry as a whole will just carry on in its corrupt murky manner sucking more and more money out of its supporters or spending millions it doesn't have.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think you or the Guardian understand who the FA are. They will NEVER do anything that sacrifices revenues and money. The FA is a Gentleman's club that will not change any time soon, and thus the state of football in this country will only continue to deteriorate (at ironically, a higher cost to fans).

There are too many of the funny handshake brigade in the FA for it to be reformed, let alone reform other footballing organisations.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Also, using the example of the Iceland match, is not really fair. It was a wholly abominable performance, of course, but one that was so poor, that, lets be honest, is unlikely to be repeated in the near future

But it wasn't a one-off though. Just two years before England finished bottom of their WC group, in the WC before that, we drew with the mighty Algeria before being thrashed by Germany. And don't forget that eight years ago we didn't even qualify for the Euros.

I'd accept one-off defeats, they happen, but we have a long history of struggling in major tournaments. Let's face it, a side that has only once got beyond the QF stage of a WC or EC played away from home is not a team that is setting the world alight

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

This government has far too cosy relationship with a certain media moguls to make laws for the PL to have games on free to air, they are weak. They are more interested in destroying the Beeb (one of the UK's strongest brands) than giving it a leg up

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I am not sure if this is even true. If you take as a measure how many times a national club side has won the European cup, then you could come to this conclusion. But surely it is the strength in depth that is the more accurate measure of the whole league. Whilst Germany and Spain have teams that are clearly better than our league leaders, could you maintain that, say their top 8, are collectively as strong as ours?
Also, using the example of the Iceland match, is not really fair. It was a wholly abominable performance, of course, but one that was so poor, that, lets be honest, is unlikely to be repeated in the near future, though I am certainly not praising the England set-up at present. England did also win in Germany last season, so, by the logic of the Guardian's piece, we should be the strongest team in Europe.
I do, however, agree the amount of money sloshing about is proving to be quite a problem, with perhaps a gradual alienation of the fans.

To be honest, the Iceland result in a knockout stage of a tournament is not isolated, our last world cup was a shambles as was the previous Euro's, does this not point to the governance and selection of both managers and players, why do we never see a Championship player in the squad and what is happening with all the resources in the English game. As for grass roots, I know of county coaching staff and womens football coaches having their budgets cut and jobs being made redundant at a time when our women got to a world cup final event and we are told that there is major investment at this level. The money is hived of at levels down the pecking order and there's none left when it gets to the bottom. £19m to bid for a World Cup and that figure is accepted without question when there are clearly defined stadiums, transport routes and hotel facilities along with a mass media availability. Where did the money go?

The FA reforming, ha ha, too much vested interested and guess who's paying for it, we are!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here