Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hanover Parking

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Any NSC members live in the area and know if there is a scheme in the pipeline?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You park your car, push both wing mirrors in, or safer still remove them altogether, walk away and never move it again until you come to sell it because you'll never find another space in Hanover ever again.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
You park your car, push both wing mirrors in, or safer still remove them altogether, walk away and never move it again until you come to sell it because you'll never find another space in Hanover ever again.
Sounds familiar!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
they have voted for residents parking in the area and it will be in place soon I am lead to believe

We have voted in favour of having a vote on new parking proposals to end the last free car park in town.

No guarantee it will be a vote in favour. But I hope it will even though I voted against 7 years ago. Spring 2017 allegedly.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Let's hope they've learnt from the fiasco that was the introduction of resident's parking in the roads around Preston Circus - too many permits issued, too few on-road spaces.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Living just off Elm Grove, we desperately need a parking scheme, although there has been a range of views on this through the years, but the consensus has shifted towards a scheme -- hence the recent positive vote, overturning a negative one four or so years ago. The big question is what scheme it is, and how it's implemented.

One of the biggest problems is that Trip Advisor, etc flag the area up as a free parking area, and people coming down for the day, night, weekend, etc take advantage of it. That's why a permanent, i.e. 24/7, scheme is so necessary, as it's very difficult to get a parking spot at weekends, much more so than during the weekdays.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The problem with parking zones is that it just pushes the problem further away from town...there are already too many cars for the area and you will not be guaranteed a parking space in your area....all in all a nice little earner for the council, plant a few signs, paint a few lines and trouser £100 plus a year from nearly every household.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Let's hope they've learnt from the fiasco that was the introduction of resident's parking in the roads around Preston Circus - too many permits issued, too few on-road spaces.

I'm intrigued by this. How can too many permits be issued? Surely all households are entitled to one? When they introduced the parking scheme in Coldean for match days every household got a form asking how many permits we wanted. Should they only have odd numbers or only allow cars with odd number plates or something?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm intrigued by this. How can too many permits be issued? Surely all households are entitled to one? When they introduced the parking scheme in Coldean for match days every household got a form asking how many permits we wanted. Should they only have odd numbers or only allow cars with odd number plates or something?

Coldean is a bit different to the Victorian terraces converted to flats in many other parts. easily end up with more addresses than road space.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wouldn't be such a problem if the trains weren't such an utter mess. If trains were sorted first, many more people wouldn't feel the need to rely on cars for say - Worthing to Brighton and back for the day.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Wouldn't happen in 'Germany'...(get it?!!)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

There are households round Hanover way that have four cars/vehicles. One permit per household might prompt them to reconsider.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The problem with parking zones is that it just pushes the problem further away from town...there are already too many cars for the area and you will not be guaranteed a parking space in your area....all in all a nice little earner for the council, plant a few signs, paint a few lines and trouser £100 plus a year from nearly every household.

Indeed. The thing that irks me is that when parking permits first came in the residents of the city were promised that the charges would just cover the cost of running the scheme. Bristol City Council promised the same thing to their residents. Yet Bristol's charges are almost a third of that of Brighton's - does it really cost so much more to run a parking scheme here than in Bristol ? Hell no !!!! MONEY MAKING EXERCISE !!!! And it doesn't make it any easier to park anyway.

My experience of Coldean on non match days is that it's very easy to park - in the city it's a nightmare any day of the week so slightly different scenario really.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are households round Hanover way that have four cars/vehicles. One permit per household might prompt them to reconsider.

Doesn't really answer the question though. If you have one permit per household how is it decided who gets it? Would the rent be the same for the permit holder and the non-permit holder? What happens if people in the street are disabled and can park anyway, does that mean that another house loses its permit?

I agree with you that it's not really necessary to have a car in the centre of town anyway but surely permitting some people to have permits and others not is a recipe for rather nasty disputes

Oct 25, 2003
I think it will improve the situation in Hanover in general. You get a lot of people parking there from Amex during the day as well as a lot of general people using it as a free (vaguely) central place to park. Whilst a lot of people in Hanover may have more than one car per household, remember that there are also a fair amount of students/people in their twenty's who may not have a car in the household at all and rely on public transport

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Doesn't really answer the question though. If you have one permit per household how is it decided who gets it? Would the rent be the same for the permit holder and the non-permit holder? What happens if people in the street are disabled and can park anyway, does that mean that another house loses its permit?

I agree with you that it's not really necessary to have a car in the centre of town anyway but surely permitting some people to have permits and others not is a recipe for rather nasty disputes

There are many questions there but, broadly, if the scheme is to make any sense, there should be one permit holder per household at standard rate, further permits per household should be charged at a far higher rate (and withdrawn if it is the case that there are still too many cars to parking spaces), and that exemptions should be made for the disabled (there are already disabled spaces up my road).
There will be disputes, but then again, that's life.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are many questions there but, broadly, if the scheme is to make any sense, there should be one permit holder per household at standard rate, further permits per household should be charged at a far higher rate (and withdrawn if it is the case that there are still too many cars to parking spaces), and that exemptions should be made for the disabled (there are already disabled spaces up my road).
There will be disputes, but then again, that's life.

Yeah, that's a sensible suggestion. And does it matter what car you drive? Is a Chelsea tractor charged the same as a Mini or a smart car - there's a big difference in space they take up?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

One of the main reasons we bought a house the other side of Elm Grove, along with more for your pound , bigger rooms, bigger garden, a front garden, less shit strewn over the streets..... I do not get the attraction of Hanover whatsoever... What happens when you go shopping and have 4 or 5 bags of shopping to take in and there is no parking... What happens when your stuck behind a delivery driver from Sanisburys for twenty minutes while they unload.... What happens if there is a fire down one of those narrow streets.... Why would you want to get up every morning and the first thing you think of is has my car been bashed missing a wing mirror etc etc.... I know there is a pub on pretty much every corner, but that brings its problems....I just dont see the appeal...

What happened to Hanover day that fizzled out...

Patch Fest is the way to go, although, the hippies and media pretentious aresholes are coming over the Elm Grove Boundary for that now....

Wish they would stick to their own side of the tracks...

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here