Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pocognoli

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I thought he did a good job last night.

Decent athlete, can use both feet and combative and decent in the air for a fullback. Will benefit from the 90 minutes.

Expect Bong to come back in but, on the evidence of last night, would have no problem with him filling in this season.

PG

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That is good news.

He was obviously very rusty against Reading but I assumed he was much better than that showing.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Warren A remarked that he looked knackered about ten minutes into the second half.

Due to his lack of football, but we're too cautious with returning players. Pocognoli is better in every aspect of the game than Bong, he should be our starting left back now and it will only take him a couple of games to get up to full speed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Warren A remarked that he looked knackered about ten minutes into the second half.
Yes, but he kept going, did he not?

Due to his lack of football, but we're too cautious with returning players. Pocognoli is better in every aspect of the game than Bong, he should be our starting left back now and it will only take him a couple of games to get up to full speed.
Not sure about who's the best LB (for my money it's Rosenior anyway) so I'll leave that for CH to decide! Agree with you about being too cautious about bringing people in sometimes, though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Very pleased it sounds like he had a decent game, I expect Bong to come back in Saturday and rightly so, but at least Bong now knows any continuation of his poor form until last Saturday and he will be out of the side.

Healthy competition, we have to have it :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Careful now, you're inviting a response -- other than this one.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Whilst I don't neccesarily agree that he is better in every aspect of the game than Bong, I do think that Pocognoli has been assured he will get plenty of game time this season. After all, if he doesn't, then he would have been better off staying at West Brom.

Bong isn't yet showing the form that he was last year, and as the season wears on, injuries and suspensions come into play too. I for one am looking forward to seeing a lot more Of Sebastien Pocognoli.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would put Rosenior as 3rd best left back, 2nd best right back and most versatile defender. at the moment when fit.

not an opinion I agree with at all, but hey its football everyone is different, be boring if we all thought the same.

Just find it mildly amusing that Rosenoir who is our only full back who has played regular premier league football ( mostly at left back ) is considered our 3rd best full back !

And on the back of that has been magnificent in every game he has played at left back for us.

I do believe Rosenior is a better right back than left back, however Bruno has been outstanding and fit ever since Rosenior got here that he has not had the opportunity to show what he can do in that position.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
not an opinion I agree with at all, but hey its football everyone is different, be boring if we all thought the same.

Just find it mildly amusing that Rosenoir who is our only full back who has played regular premier league football ( mostly at left back ) is considered our 3rd best full back !

And on the back of that has been magnificent in every game he has played at left back for us.

I do believe Rosenior is a better right back than left back, however Bruno has been outstanding and fit ever since Rosenior got here that he has not had the opportunity to show what he can do in that position.

Think you will find BG considered him the third best LEFT back, not neccesarily the third best full back on our books.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I thought he acquitted himself pretty well last night considering he is lacking in fitness.
I also thought the Ipswich LB (Chambers?) was one of their better players, effectively shackling Knocky, and reasonable at getting forward. Absolute shithouse of a game though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

First and foremost he is and was predominantly a right back who had played at left back for Hull but his prime position is right back. where he has played most of his football during his career. He was adequate at left back and certainly the best behind Bong buit was bniot magnificent and in fact played better at right midfield when called upon. As I said I think that both Bong and a match fit Poognoli are better at left back and it is debatable as to whether he is a better right back than Bruno but with age creeping up on Bruno he could figure more there.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
First and foremost he is and was predominantly a right back who had played at left back for Hull but his prime position is right back. where he has played most of his football during his career. He was adequate at left back and certainly the best behind Bong buit was bniot magnificent and in fact played better at right midfield when called upon. As I said I think that both Bong and a match fit Poognoli are better at left back and it is debatable as to whether he is a better right back than Bruno but with age creeping up on Bruno he could figure more there.

As i say, your are entitled to your opinion, I just dont agree with it.

Rosenior being adequate at left back is laughable, we have never lost a game with him at left back....... he certainly has not had one game at left back for us anywhere near the poor performances Bong has been knocking out this season until last week...

I have yet to see a winger get the better of him...id love to know a performance where he was just adequate !

As for Pocognoli... i have seen him play once, so to put him ahead of Rosenior in a pecking order is generous at best... I can only assume you have seen him play on numerous occasions...

I get the impression that unless a player is left footed that in your opinion he just cant be as good as a left footed left back...... now im not saying its not desirable but certainly not make or break, there have been plenty of quality right footed left backs over the years.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
The pre-injury Bong WAS our best left back. The post-injury Bong cannot by any sensible criteria be considered better than Rosenior at left back. Let's just hope he regains his best form.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have not seen enough of Pocognoli to form a true opinion really but am basing mine on his reputation and international status for Belgium who are a reasonable team not like Andorra or N Ireland. Pre injury Bong was far better than Rosenior at left back and hopefully as he seems to be improving each game he will get back to that standard very soon. I would prefer to see LR playing right midfield in tight away games and pushing Bruno for home games.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Whilst I don't neccesarily agree that he is better in every aspect of the game than Bong, I do think that Pocognoli has been assured he will get plenty of game time this season. After all, if he doesn't, then he would have been better off staying at West Brom.

Bong isn't yet showing the form that he was last year, and as the season wears on, injuries and suspensions come into play too. I for one am looking forward to seeing a lot more Of Sebastien Pocognoli.

To be honest, I don't think Bong is anything other than a steady left back. I'm not having a go at him in saying that, he's done a very fine job for us when he's been in the team and when we signed him he was a definite improvement on Joe Bennett from the season before. I just think that he doesn't have the all round game to fit into our team now that it's improved vastly from the time that he joined, he came into a team with no real expectation other than to survive. Now we're looking for a top 2 finish, and he's just not quite that good. I think Rosenior showed the difference when he stepped in last season, Ridgewell as well to a lesser extent.

Pocognoli is a definite step up in class and quality, I'm confident he'll prove that over the course of the next few months when he gets more game time so he gets his fitness levels up. There's a reason he has played for Belgium, after all. Bong remains a decent enough option at left back though, and he's perfectly reliable.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have not seen enough of Pocognoli to form a true opinion really but am basing mine on his reputation and international status for Belgium who are a reasonable team not like Andorra or N Ireland. Pre injury Bong was far better than Rosenior at left back and hopefully as he seems to be improving each game he will get back to that standard very soon. I would prefer to see LR playing right midfield in tight away games and pushing Bruno for home games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would I be right in saying the ONLY (and very few) times we used LR as a RM player was in the days before we acquired one Anthony Knockaert, who I think most of us would agree has got that position pretty well nailed down now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here