Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good morning - view from an Ipswich perspective

21 Not allowed!
    Been on here a few times in the past and always found Brighton a decent bunch.

If interested, here is a perspective from an Ipswich fan on the game last night and some thoughts.

Firstly, after witnessing one of the worst ITFC performances for nearly 30 years at Elland Road on Saturday I was not filled with any hope or expectation before the game yesterday. We also picked up a couple more injuries to key players at Leeds so I was very close to sticking a tenner on a 2-0 BHA win but didn't in the end due to some strangely guilty feeling that betting against my own team was wrong. In a nutshell, I was convinced you would win after what I had seen and the result you got against Barnsley.

Portman Road was eerily quiet last night - one of the lowest crowds I had seen for a long time in the league which summed up neatly the general apathy around the club after 15 years in the same division, a lack of investment compared to other clubs and a fairly prosaic style of football. We are lining up in a 4-3-3 this season and a baffling failure to replace Daryl Murphy plus a host of injuries to attacking players saw us start up front with Leon Best up front - I'm fully aware, not a fan favourite of BHA.

My thoughts on Brighton were that you were a pretty decent team who had a decidely off day. I will credit Ipswich with having some influence on your performance - particularly our two full backs doing a good job on Knockeart particularly and Skalak - but it appeared to me that Murray ( a player I have always rated) and Hemed were far too similar in style to do a job on our back four. You lacked pace, I was expecting Baldock to come on but it never happened thankfully.

I thought your two gigantic centre backs looked very assured - Dunk's passing seem to have improved and Duffy looked rock solid alongside him. They didn't have much to do but what they did was good.

I can't imagine you were chuffed with the ref - I don't think he didn't anything particularly bad for either side but he did seem to be overfussy on back chat and dissent - don't think I have been to a game with more bookings for that.

Fair play to the 550 odd who came - it's a long journey and our away ticket pricing is scandalous at £35 a pop (we were fleeced the same at Elland Road, £40 on the gate if you hadn't got a ticket) - something has to change on that score.

All the best for the season - I think you will definitely make top six. You have a decent side, probably need a striker, and a very solid Championship manager who is a decent bloke. Think the top two will probably be Newcastle and Norwich based on resources and managers - with maybe a Brighton and Huddersfield play off final. Nothing would be sweeter though then you (or any other side) knocking Norwich out of contention in the final seconds of the final game of the season.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldLayne View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Been on here a few times in the past and always found Brighton a decent bunch.

If interested, here is a perspective from an Ipswich fan on the game last night and some thoughts.

Firstly, after witnessing one of the worst ITFC performances for nearly 30 years at Elland Road on Saturday I was not filled with any hope or expectation before the game yesterday. We also picked up a couple more injuries to key players at Leeds so I was very close to sticking a tenner on a 2-0 BHA win but didn't in the end due to some strangely guilty feeling that betting against my own team was wrong. In a nutshell, I was convinced you would win after what I had seen and the result you got against Barnsley.

Portman Road was eerily quiet last night - one of the lowest crowds I had seen for a long time in the league which summed up neatly the general apathy around the club after 15 years in the same division, a lack of investment compared to other clubs and a fairly prosaic style of football. We are lining up in a 4-3-3 this season and a baffling failure to replace Daryl Murphy plus a host of injuries to attacking players saw us start up front with Leon Best up front - I'm fully aware, not a fan favourite of BHA.

My thoughts on Brighton were that you were a pretty decent team who had a decidely off day. I will credit Ipswich with having some influence on your performance - particularly our two full backs doing a good job on Knockeart particularly and Skalak - but it appeared to me that Murray ( a player I have always rated) and Hemed were far too similar in style to do a job on our back four. You lacked pace, I was expecting Baldock to come on but it never happened thankfully.

I thought your two gigantic centre backs looked very assured - Dunk's passing seem to have improved and Duffy looked rock solid alongside him. They didn't have much to do but what they did was good.

I can't imagine you were chuffed with the ref - I don't think he didn't anything particularly bad for either side but he did seem to be overfussy on back chat and dissent - don't think I have been to a game with more bookings for that.

Fair play to the 550 odd who came - it's a long journey and our away ticket pricing is scandalous at £35 a pop (we were fleeced the same at Elland Road, £40 on the gate if you hadn't got a ticket) - something has to change on that score.

All the best for the season - I think you will definitely make top six. You have a decent side, probably need a striker, and a very solid Championship manager who is a decent bloke. Think the top two will probably be Newcastle and Norwich based on resources and managers - with maybe a Brighton and Huddersfield play off final. Nothing would be sweeter though then you (or any other side) knocking Norwich out of contention in the final seconds of the final game of the season.
      Thanks for that. All seems very fair. One of my best friends is an Ipswich fan and I have a soft spot for your club that goes back to the incredible Bobby Robson days.

I don't think anyone seriously is targeting the top 2 for us this year now. A shame but it would be a mistake to be too greedy. Last night was a bad performance - we still have some great players who are brilliant to watch most of the time.
      The BHAFC forum is utter shite. They literally talk about everything except their own football club on there.
      Everything in Moderation Prince Monolulu's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Pretty much sums it up. Dunk and Duffy look as solid as you like aerially, Murray often found himself out wide and does, as you point out, lack pace for such a position. Knocky was pretty quiet, Skalak was, erm, ineffective again and until we find the necessary pace then a few 0 - 0 are on the horizon.

It was pretty empty and quiet last night on a sultry evening, but I don't really have any bad thoughts towards Ipswich, all the best in whatever happens this season.
      I gotta Horse!

7 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Moshe Gariani View Post
      Thanks for that. All seems very fair. One of my best friends is an Ipswich fan and I have a soft spot for your club that goes back to the incredible Bobby Robson days.

I don't think anyone seriously is targeting the top 2 for us this year now. A shame but it would be a mistake to be too greedy. Last night was a bad performance - we still have some great players who are brilliant to watch most of the time.
      Targeting the top two would be mad when we are miles adrift in 3rd place

0 Not allowed!
      Hard to disagree with any of that. It was a strange atmosphere, although we did our best to make a noise with limited numbers - hard to know how much is lost in the rafters of that old stand.

Thought Ipswich were the better team, with limited resources available. Agree the fullbacks played well, thought in advance the rookie RB may be a weak link but I made him MoM.

Midtable for you guys, think we will probably miss out in the playoffs, again, unless we can bring in that quality striker (that everyone is looking for) in January.

PG
      Harry!Harry!Harry!
      Brighton v Crystal Palace
      Games won: 40
      Games drawn: 26
      Games lost: 37

0 Not allowed!
      Largely agree with all that and I'd feel decidedly apathetic if my club's goalscoring hopes sat with Leon Best. I like Mick though, always direct but very fair in all he says and if he's a mate of Chris Hughton, he must be a good guy. You know he'll squeeze the very best out of what he has, but I'd say an assault on the top 6 looks tough for you this season.

Knockaert seemed to be very quiet - I'm not sure if that was entirely down to your shackling of him - he just doesn't seem to perform on the road as he does at the Amex. I also expected Baldock to be introduced to try and stretch things a bit.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I was expecting Baldock to come on we are missing our Impact super sub and do need another striker.
      If we sneak a win at Wednesday all is forgiven.
      My best friend is Norwich fan but he had mix feelings as he didint want us to overtake them at the top.Sad Git
      THOSE IN GLASS PALACES SHOULD NOT THROW BRICKS

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldLayne View Post
      and a very solid Championship manager who is a decent bloke. .
      Praise indeed bearing in mind the Norwich connection there!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      Largely agree with all that and I'd feel decidedly apathetic if my club's goalscoring hopes sat with Leon Best. I like Mick though, always direct but very fair in all he says and if he's a mate of Chris Hughton, he must be a good guy. You know he'll squeeze the very best out of what he has, but I'd say an assault on the top 6 looks tough for you this season.

Knockaert seemed to be very quiet - I'm not sure if that was entirely down to your shackling of him - he just doesn't seem to perform on the road as he does at the Amex. I also expected Baldock to be introduced to try and stretch things a bit.
      My feeling as well. I don't go to away games anymore, but my impression from fan comments and the argus is that away from home, he is not nearly as effective. Maybe he just loves to perform in front of large adoring crowds, but is less than willing when away from home. I am perfectly prepared to accept that this might be unfair -just the impression I have, rightly or wrongly.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit Barrel View Post
      Targeting the top two would be mad when we are miles adrift in 3rd place
      Fair cop..! You are right. The bookies give us a 1 in 4 chance of automatic - and that is about right - so no harm in hoping.

On the question of odds to go up, I notice we are not far away from evens again "to get promoted". Having been close to evens in May 2013, around 3/1 in May 2014 and odds on in April 2016 - surely it has to be our turn soon...?!
      The BHAFC forum is utter shite. They literally talk about everything except their own football club on there.