Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good morning - view from an Ipswich perspective

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
Been on here a few times in the past and always found Brighton a decent bunch.

If interested, here is a perspective from an Ipswich fan on the game last night and some thoughts.

Firstly, after witnessing one of the worst ITFC performances for nearly 30 years at Elland Road on Saturday I was not filled with any hope or expectation before the game yesterday. We also picked up a couple more injuries to key players at Leeds so I was very close to sticking a tenner on a 2-0 BHA win but didn't in the end due to some strangely guilty feeling that betting against my own team was wrong. In a nutshell, I was convinced you would win after what I had seen and the result you got against Barnsley.

Portman Road was eerily quiet last night - one of the lowest crowds I had seen for a long time in the league which summed up neatly the general apathy around the club after 15 years in the same division, a lack of investment compared to other clubs and a fairly prosaic style of football. We are lining up in a 4-3-3 this season and a baffling failure to replace Daryl Murphy plus a host of injuries to attacking players saw us start up front with Leon Best up front - I'm fully aware, not a fan favourite of BHA.

My thoughts on Brighton were that you were a pretty decent team who had a decidely off day. I will credit Ipswich with having some influence on your performance - particularly our two full backs doing a good job on Knockeart particularly and Skalak - but it appeared to me that Murray ( a player I have always rated) and Hemed were far too similar in style to do a job on our back four. You lacked pace, I was expecting Baldock to come on but it never happened thankfully.

I thought your two gigantic centre backs looked very assured - Dunk's passing seem to have improved and Duffy looked rock solid alongside him. They didn't have much to do but what they did was good.

I can't imagine you were chuffed with the ref - I don't think he didn't anything particularly bad for either side but he did seem to be overfussy on back chat and dissent - don't think I have been to a game with more bookings for that.

Fair play to the 550 odd who came - it's a long journey and our away ticket pricing is scandalous at £35 a pop (we were fleeced the same at Elland Road, £40 on the gate if you hadn't got a ticket) - something has to change on that score.

All the best for the season - I think you will definitely make top six. You have a decent side, probably need a striker, and a very solid Championship manager who is a decent bloke. Think the top two will probably be Newcastle and Norwich based on resources and managers - with maybe a Brighton and Huddersfield play off final. Nothing would be sweeter though then you (or any other side) knocking Norwich out of contention in the final seconds of the final game of the season.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

If interested, here is a perspective from an Ipswich fan on the game last night and some thoughts.

Firstly, after witnessing one of the worst ITFC performances for nearly 30 years at Elland Road on Saturday I was not filled with any hope or expectation before the game yesterday. We also picked up a couple more injuries to key players at Leeds so I was very close to sticking a tenner on a 2-0 BHA win but didn't in the end due to some strangely guilty feeling that betting against my own team was wrong. In a nutshell, I was convinced you would win after what I had seen and the result you got against Barnsley.

Portman Road was eerily quiet last night - one of the lowest crowds I had seen for a long time in the league which summed up neatly the general apathy around the club after 15 years in the same division, a lack of investment compared to other clubs and a fairly prosaic style of football. We are lining up in a 4-3-3 this season and a baffling failure to replace Daryl Murphy plus a host of injuries to attacking players saw us start up front with Leon Best up front - I'm fully aware, not a fan favourite of BHA.

My thoughts on Brighton were that you were a pretty decent team who had a decidely off day. I will credit Ipswich with having some influence on your performance - particularly our two full backs doing a good job on Knockeart particularly and Skalak - but it appeared to me that Murray ( a player I have always rated) and Hemed were far too similar in style to do a job on our back four. You lacked pace, I was expecting Baldock to come on but it never happened thankfully.

I thought your two gigantic centre backs looked very assured - Dunk's passing seem to have improved and Duffy looked rock solid alongside him. They didn't have much to do but what they did was good.

I can't imagine you were chuffed with the ref - I don't think he didn't anything particularly bad for either side but he did seem to be overfussy on back chat and dissent - don't think I have been to a game with more bookings for that.

Fair play to the 550 odd who came - it's a long journey and our away ticket pricing is scandalous at £35 a pop (we were fleeced the same at Elland Road, £40 on the gate if you hadn't got a ticket) - something has to change on that score.

All the best for the season - I think you will definitely make top six. You have a decent side, probably need a striker, and a very solid Championship manager who is a decent bloke. Think the top two will probably be Newcastle and Norwich based on resources and managers - with maybe a Brighton and Huddersfield play off final. Nothing would be sweeter though then you (or any other side) knocking Norwich out of contention in the final seconds of the final game of the season.
Thanks for that. All seems very fair. One of my best friends is an Ipswich fan and I have a soft spot for your club that goes back to the incredible Bobby Robson days.

I don't think anyone seriously is targeting the top 2 for us this year now. A shame but it would be a mistake to be too greedy. Last night was a bad performance - we still have some great players who are brilliant to watch most of the time.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Pretty much sums it up. Dunk and Duffy look as solid as you like aerially, Murray often found himself out wide and does, as you point out, lack pace for such a position. Knocky was pretty quiet, Skalak was, erm, ineffective again and until we find the necessary pace then a few 0 - 0 are on the horizon.

It was pretty empty and quiet last night on a sultry evening, but I don't really have any bad thoughts towards Ipswich, all the best in whatever happens this season.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Thanks for that. All seems very fair. One of my best friends is an Ipswich fan and I have a soft spot for your club that goes back to the incredible Bobby Robson days.

I don't think anyone seriously is targeting the top 2 for us this year now. A shame but it would be a mistake to be too greedy. Last night was a bad performance - we still have some great players who are brilliant to watch most of the time.

Targeting the top two would be mad when we are miles adrift in 3rd place :whistle:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Hard to disagree with any of that. It was a strange atmosphere, although we did our best to make a noise with limited numbers - hard to know how much is lost in the rafters of that old stand.

Thought Ipswich were the better team, with limited resources available. Agree the fullbacks played well, thought in advance the rookie RB may be a weak link but I made him MoM.

Midtable for you guys, think we will probably miss out in the playoffs, again, unless we can bring in that quality striker (that everyone is looking for) in January.

PG

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Largely agree with all that and I'd feel decidedly apathetic if my club's goalscoring hopes sat with Leon Best. I like Mick though, always direct but very fair in all he says and if he's a mate of Chris Hughton, he must be a good guy. You know he'll squeeze the very best out of what he has, but I'd say an assault on the top 6 looks tough for you this season.

Knockaert seemed to be very quiet - I'm not sure if that was entirely down to your shackling of him - he just doesn't seem to perform on the road as he does at the Amex. I also expected Baldock to be introduced to try and stretch things a bit.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I was expecting Baldock to come on we are missing our Impact super sub and do need another striker.
If we sneak a win at Wednesday all is forgiven.
My best friend is Norwich fan but he had mix feelings as he didint want us to overtake them at the top.Sad Git

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Largely agree with all that and I'd feel decidedly apathetic if my club's goalscoring hopes sat with Leon Best. I like Mick though, always direct but very fair in all he says and if he's a mate of Chris Hughton, he must be a good guy. You know he'll squeeze the very best out of what he has, but I'd say an assault on the top 6 looks tough for you this season.

Knockaert seemed to be very quiet - I'm not sure if that was entirely down to your shackling of him - he just doesn't seem to perform on the road as he does at the Amex. I also expected Baldock to be introduced to try and stretch things a bit.

My feeling as well. I don't go to away games anymore, but my impression from fan comments and the argus is that away from home, he is not nearly as effective. Maybe he just loves to perform in front of large adoring crowds, but is less than willing when away from home. I am perfectly prepared to accept that this might be unfair -just the impression I have, rightly or wrongly.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Targeting the top two would be mad when we are miles adrift in 3rd place :whistle:
Fair cop..! You are right. The bookies give us a 1 in 4 chance of automatic - and that is about right - so no harm in hoping.

On the question of odds to go up, I notice we are not far away from evens again "to get promoted". Having been close to evens in May 2013, around 3/1 in May 2014 and odds on in April 2016 - surely it has to be our turn soon...?! :)

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I've read the thread and agree with it all. And note the decent and incredibly accurate assessment by our 'Tractor Boy' friend. Bearing in mind he's not privy to all that's been discussed by us Seagulls, he's done well to pinpoint so many of our frustrations.
It's been said by so many, and I'm sure TB and CH are as frustrated as us, we need some quick legs up front. I'm almost to the point that I think we could do worse than give Elvis some game time, especially in away games. He does break incredibly quickly, unfortunately you never know what to expect with his end product.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I've read the thread and agree with it all. And note the decent and incredibly accurate assessment by our 'Tractor Boy' friend. Bearing in mind he's not privy to all that's been discussed by us Seagulls, he's done well to pinpoint so many of our frustrations.
It's been said by so many, and I'm sure TB and CH are as frustrated as us, we need some quick legs up front. I'm almost to the point that I think we could do worse than give Elvis some game time, especially in away games. He does break incredibly quickly, unfortunately you never know what to expect with his end product.

Not seen him live but I think he is worth a game or two -at least as sub to come on against tiring defenders. Who knows? A goal or two and his confidence may come back.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My feeling as well. I don't go to away games anymore, but my impression from fan comments and the argus is that away from home, he is not nearly as effective. Maybe he just loves to perform in front of large adoring crowds, but is less than willing when away from home. I am perfectly prepared to accept that this might be unfair -just the impression I have, rightly or wrongly.

Like you, it has been a long while since I have seen the Albion on the road, but as a season ticket holder I have seen all of Knocky's performances at the Amex, and 'unwilling' is the very last lebel you could stick on him.

He gives his all from the first minute to the last, and I can't believe that the same doesn't apply when we play away from home.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Welcome back, and you've worked us out very well. I think Mick will at least eke out a top half finish for you, but understand the despondency at the lack of investment or, more accurately, when compared to Championship rivals.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Like you, it has been a long while since I have seen the Albion on the road, but as a season ticket holder I have seen all of Knocky's performances at the Amex, and 'unwilling' is the very last lebel you could stick on him.

He gives his all from the first minute to the last, and I can't believe that the same doesn't apply when we play away from home.

Precisely this. I was almost affronted by the accusation but, that said, there really is a disparity between his home and away performances.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Good summary from the OP.

Can we have our washing back now please?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

You could say that if we don't know what Elvis is going to do nor do the opposition..Lua lua injured ..Murphy IMHO out of form we've begun to rely too much on AK ..there is March to come back but we shudnt expect too much from him at the start

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here