Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup goes further downhill

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If we allow the 'big' clubs to take a break in winter to line their pockets with warm weather tours it has been said that the FA Cup will be moved to make way for the Saturday fixtures. Rounds 3, 4 & 5 will be played mid-week with no replays. Presuming the top clubs would still be in the CL mid week and others would rest their A team the cup could just disappear soon.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
If we allow the 'big' clubs to take a break in winter to line their pockets with warm weather tours it has been said that the FA Cup will be moved to make way for the Saturday fixtures. Rounds 3, 4 & 5 will be played mid-week with no replays. Presuming the top clubs would still be in the CL mid week and others would rest their A team the cup could just disappear soon.

Such a shame the FA cup was the biggest cup compitition in the world now it is like the simod cup ect

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
If it happens and they allow the over seas tours then it's an absolute disgrace.

It completely ruins the argument of needing the rest when a team then travels thousands of miles

It won't help our national team. We are just shit and have a waste of space FA that have again been shown to have got the wrong man in

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The FA Cup is still probably one of the best things about the English game, round 3 and 4 are the best weekends of year for me. Ever since Man U left the competition for a season its been in decline

Winners need to take CL spot, but it will never happen

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I've been saying for years that we should blow out the league cup entirely, and maybe even bring the FA Cup rounds through a bit earlier

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
It still means a helluva lot at grass roots level. Can't wait for Hill v Cadbury Heath in the 3rd qualifying round on Saturday.
The winner of the tie pockets £7,500 and is one game away from the first round proper. Hill have already earned £7,500 for their 2 wins to get thus far, vital funds for a club of our size.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The FA Cup is like the West Pier. Grand and charming in its heyday but gradually eroded by outside forces, occasionally shat on, crumbling before our eyes.

Only the remnants remain, a reminder of something lost, to be viewed from afar with nostalgic fondness for a bygone age.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've been saying for years that we should blow out the league cup entirely, and maybe even bring the FA Cup rounds through a bit earlier

The League Cup is a source of income for the Football League that has nothing to do with the Football Association, who start their cup competition in August, how much further back do you think it should start?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The FA Cup is still probably one of the best things about the English game, round 3 and 4 are the best weekends of year for me. Ever since Man U left the competition for a season its been in decline

Winners need to take CL spot, but it will never happen

I am pretty sure I saw somewhere every season but 3 since 2000 the Winners have qualified for the CL via the league.

It is not just the PL sides that don't care much for the cup anymore.

I think a few PL clubs take the League Cup more seriously now as it is over by March

Yoda

English & European
All this talk about too many games is pathetic. A Football league club with a good cup run (or two) can play just as many games in a season (excluding playoffs if they make them), as a Premier League club in European Competitions. Do you hear them moaning?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I always thought we could have a mid-winter break if:

A. The League Cup Final was played mid-week and the 2 semi finals did not take place over 2 legs.
B. The Christmas & New Year league programmes remains, with The FA Cup 3rd round taking place on the first weekend in January, as it does now, but no replays in The FA Cup after the 2nd round.

At the end of the day, The Premier League will get what it wants.

They're having a mid-winter break in Scotland this year. I thought the previous one they had years back, got scrapped as Rangers & Celtic were making money playing friendlies elsewhere, when the other clubs had income during the break.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Can anyone tell me the advantage of a 'winter break', especially when the players don't have a break at all...?

I can understand it in central Europe (average daily temperatures below freezing), but we hardly have that issue here.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
And of course the winter break would be, say second two weeks in January, and then it would snow end of January. You can be sure that whatever period they shut down will be warm and sunny but on return the snow gates will open.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We have enough international breaks as it is without having unnecessary winter breaks, its not as if its hard work being a footballer, time they manned up a bit and stopped whinging they are tied. It was never an issue when Saturday 3pm KO's were in place and international football took place in the week.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I am pretty sure I saw somewhere every season but 3 since 2000 the Winners have qualified for the CL via the league.

It is not just the PL sides that don't care much for the cup anymore.

I think a few PL clubs take the League Cup more seriously now as it is over by March

Portsmouth, Wigan and Man United last year by my reckoning. And United qualified for the Europa League by finishing fifth anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here