Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kodi boxes to be banned?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Surely a non-starter? Kodi itself does nothing illegal, and I'm guessing no-one is stupid enough to sell these boxes with the piracy add-ons fully loaded?

They do. You can buy them with set ups so it's like having channels on normal TV / satellite

What's it got to do with the BBC - their stuff is free anyway.

I've got Kodi on my phone, laptop & nexus TV = I haven't got a box..

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Surely a non-starter? Kodi itself does nothing illegal, and I'm guessing no-one is stupid enough to sell these boxes with the piracy add-ons fully loaded?

Quoting the article

Some traders sell Kodi boxes preloaded with such third-party add-ons that can access pirated content. It is the sale of these "fully-loaded" boxes that is the subject of a legal case.

So clearly they do. No one is stopping the sale of all boxes, just those with piracy stuff available from the off.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Quoting the article

So clearly they do. No one is stopping the sale of all boxes, just those with piracy stuff available from the off.

Fact is you can do it yourself for free - rather than pay someone else & then you can keep it updated.

If you buy a pre-loaded box often you need to go back to them to sort it out when links go fish

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The link in the link says that it is Middlesborough council prosecuting him and I can see no reference to the BBC so I don't know where he OP got that from.

boik

Quoting the article

Ah, my speed reading is not up to scratch. In that case they deserve to be prosecuted. Don't get me wrong, I love Kodi (although mostly use OSMC on Pis), but selling them in that state is stupid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
prediction: action against this trader will be successful, and they'll start going after others selling/advertising the features to access sky etc. sale of the boxes themselves will not be affected as they have a legitimate, non-circumvention purpose. this is supported in case law back to the original tape-tape decks.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
They do. You can buy them with set ups so it's like having channels on normal TV / satellite

I've got Kodi on my phone, laptop & nexus TV = I haven't got a box..

Last time I checked I was paying £140 a year for use of the BBC.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Damit I've only just got mine, fully loaded

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Damit I've only just got mine, fully loaded

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I think we'll be fine, matey. They are looking to block the sale of new ones, I can't see that there's much they can do to stop the existing ones except work with Amazon to bugger up the app with an update sometime in the future but if you turn off Amazon updates then there's sod all they can do. All the streams are sourced from abroad anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here