Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quite possibly.
If for no other reason than it would seem pretty impossible for people inside and outside of the sport to dislike him.
A totally class act.

As for best manager I'll be interested to see what kind of budget CH has had to work with.
From memory I think Oscar had something like £23m and Sami had just £3m more.

That said if any manager were to be given a Mickey Adams sized 'budget' I'd want it to be Chris.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Glad Martin O'Neill looks like he has finally sorted out his contract with Ireland.

If I was the FAI, Chris Hughton would have been right up there on my shortlist - though I doubt he'd have taken it at this stage anyway. Maybe one for later in his career.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Doing the best job for us - yes.

Best manager we´ve ever had? No, that was a certain Mr Clough.

Anyone who saw us lose 4-0 at home to Walton & Hersham or 8-2 to Bristol Rovers might disagree. He was a great manager at Derby and Nottingham Forest, but whatever management skills he had, they didn't work here or at Leeds. He made very little attempt to adapt to life in the third division and treated the club and its players with contempt. On his watch - not that he was in Sussex very much - we signed a few decent players such as Andy Rollings and Peter Grummitt, but the best thing he did for the club was bringing Peter Taylor south and then failing to persuade him to bugger off to Leeds with him. Taylor laid the foundations for Alan Mullery's team, bringing in Peter Ward, Brian Horton, Chris Cattlin, Graham Cross and others.

Mullery took us into the top flight, so must be undisputed number one, while Mike Bailey delivered our highest-ever league finish, so has to be a strong candidate for second place. Barry Lloyd got us to the play-off final despite a negative goal difference, but CH's team was better and finished higher. Gus Poyet's too.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anyone who saw us lose 4-0 at home to Walton & Hersham or 8-2 to Bristol Rovers might disagree. He was a great manager at Derby and Nottingham Forest, but whatever management skills he had, they didn't work here or at Leeds. He made very little attempt to adapt to life in the third division and treated the club and its players with contempt. On his watch - not that he was in Sussex very much - we signed a few decent players such as Andy Rollings and Peter Grummitt, but the best thing he did for the club was bringing Peter Taylor south and then failing to persuade him to bugger off to Leeds with him. Taylor laid the foundations for Alan Mullery's team, bringing in Peter Ward, Brian Horton, Chris Cattlin, Graham Cross and others.

Mullery took us into the top flight, so must be undisputed number one, while Mike Bailey delivered our highest-ever league finish, so has to be a strong candidate for second place. Barry Lloyd got us to the play-off final despite a negative goal difference, but CH's team was better and finished higher. Gus Poyet's too.

100% This. Clough was nothing without Taylor. I feel that PT never got the recognition he deserved.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given how well he has done here it seems very odd to think that CH was out of work for so long after his sacking by Norwich and that he was 2nd choice to Hyypia apparently too ( how shit was THAT decision in retrospect). He is doing a fine job but until he gets us promoted he cannot be considered the best ever.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Given how well he has done here it seems very odd to think that CH was out of work for so long after his sacking by Norwich and that he was 2nd choice to Hyypia apparently too ( how shit was THAT decision in retrospect). He is doing a fine job but until he gets us promoted he cannot be considered the best ever.
There's probably more to that decision than simply 1st & 2nd choice.
I wouldn't be surprised if the role of Director of Football was involved.

The club wasn't slow in appointing Chris once the world's angriest and most jet lagged poker player had delivered his Christmas messages.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There's probably more to that decision than simply 1st & 2nd choice.
I wouldn't be surprised if the role of Director of Football was involved.

The club wasn't slow in appointing Chris once the world's angriest and most jet lagged poker player had delivered his Christmas messages.

You are of course, understandably, forgetting that TB and PB thought Hyypia needed more time, or I assume they did as they refused to sack him :rolleyes: WTF ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He's on his way to being, and I think he will be.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here