Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there a professional player still playing who playing today at the Goldstone?

D

Deleted User X18H

Is there a professional player who is still playing today who played at the Goldstone?

Apart from Frank Lampard

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I reckon Jamie Cureton would have been the last. He was still playing in the football league last year but a wiki search shows him playing for Farnborough.

I'm racking my brain for an old goal keeper.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I reckon Jamie Cureton would have been the last. He was still playing in the football league last year but a wiki search shows him playing for Farnborough.

Did Shay Given play at the Goldstone? He started out on loan to Swindon

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Cureton is still playing professionally - for Eastliegh, in the National League (Conference)

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Some very old players still employed by FL clubs who potentially might've done..

Darren Ward
Matt Oakley
Ritchie Humphreys
Gareth Ainsworth

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Again using Wiki no. Played 5 games in 96 and we weren't in their league.

Depends when it was. We were in the same league in 95/96 but not in 96/97. I don't know when we played Swindon though and whether Given was in the team

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Is David James still playing for a small club?

http://www.totalfootballmag.com/oth...land-goalkeeper-creates-amex-stadium-history/

David James created a small piece of Brighton & Hove Albion history on Saturday by becoming the first player to play at the Goldstone Ground and the Amex Stadium.

The 41-year-old former England goalkeeper played between the sticks for Bristol City in the Robins' 2-0 defeat to Gus Poyet’s Albion.

The latest appearance in James’ remarkable career comes nearly 21 years to the day since he played for Watford against Albion at the Goldstone - on that day the home side won 3-0.

Since that game on January 19, 1991, James has also played for Liverpool, Aston Villa, West Ham, Manchester City and Portsmouth, and has also won 53 England caps.

The Goldstone Ground was the home of Brighton & Hove Albion for 95 years before its closure in 1997. The Amex Stadium opened in August 2011 following a 14 year planning battle.

There are no Brighton players from the Goldstone era still playing in the professional game. Will this unique record belong to James for eternity, or are there other players who have a chance to join him in this elite club?

Here are a few of the candidates:
Ryan Giggs

The 38-year-old played for Manchester United in a League Cup tie at the Goldstone Ground in 1992. The game finished 1-1, before United beat the Seagulls 1-0 in the second leg at Old Trafford to secure a 2-1 aggregate victory. Giggs is a one-club man, having been a feature in Sir Alex Ferguson’s sides for nearly 21 years, and has amassed 627 appearances for the Red Devils. The left winger has won 12 Premier Leagues, four FA Cups and four League Cups during a spectacular career. Promotion for the Seagulls - or Brighton v United in the FA Cup at some point - could see Giggs become only the second man to experience the hallowed turf of the Goldstone and the Amex Stadium.
Frank Lampard

In the 1995/6 season, West Ham United loaned a teenage Frank Lampard to third tier Swansea City, with whom he made nine appearances. One of these saw the midfielder play and score for the Swans in a 2-0 victory over Albion at the Goldstone. Lampard moved to Chelsea in 2001 for £11m. The 33-year-old has won 90 England caps to go with three Premier League titles and three FA Cup winners medals. If Brighton can get their act together, Frank and co could be visiting the Amex Stadium next season.
Scott McGleish

The definition of a journeyman footballer, McGleish played for Leyton Orient in a 4-4 draw against Albion on March 8, 1997, a month before the Goldstone closed its doors for the final time. With Albion scrapping to avoid relegation to the Conference, McGleish scored late on to give Orient a 4-3 lead. The striker chose to celebrate in front of the home support whilst making some ill-advised gestures - actions that have hardly endeared him to Seagulls fans since. Nomadic McGleish has also represented Charlton Athletic, Peterborough United, Colchester United, Cambridge United, Barnet, Northampton Town and Wycombe Wanderers during an 18-year career, before joining League 2 Bristol Rovers last summer, where has scored eight goals so far this season.
David Beckham

The career of the world's most famous footballer began at the Goldstone Ground when he came on as a substitute for Manchester United against Albion in a League Cup tie on September 23, 1992. Beckham signed his first professional contract with United shortly after, before embarking on a glittering career that has also included spells at Read Madrid, AC Milan and LA Galaxy. The midfielder lists six Premier League titles, two FA Cup winners medals and a La Liga title amongst his many accolades, and is England’s most capped outfield player of all time, with 115 appearances for his country. Emulating the Brighton keeper was a possibility when Beckham was a free agent after his contract with LA expired, but his new deal means the only Amex connection for Becks any time soon is use of a credit card to buy Victoria a 'we're staying put' gift. If by some strange twist of fate Brighton secure a home friendly against LA Galaxy in the summer, or Goldenballs ends his career back in England, well into his 40s, playing in the Championship or lower, then an appearance at the Amex would be, as the ads for a rival credit card goes, priceless.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Gareth Ainsworth isn't a bad shout.
Course he hasn't actually played in a while seeing as he's probably a little busy with the management side but he is still registered as a player. Could've rocked up with Lincoln in the mid-90s possibly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here