Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calais Jungle. Legal situation.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Hollande and others have threatened to open the floodgates for refugees from Calais.

Question; if there are legal experts out there......... Why can't the UK sue them for not enforcing the Dublin agreement through the Brussels court?
Has that law gone the same way as Shengen? Can the British people (without the UK government) take legal class action privately and collectively.

The French, surely, should be accountable to EU law (as we are) until we stop paying and we have left. I'm confused.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's election time in France. Hollande is just trying to appeal to voters who don't want to continue with what they see as France carrying our problem, especially as we've voted to leave the EU. Whether Hollande would in fact pull the plug if he won is open to debate. It's all a bit reminiscent of the "we'll have £350m a week to pump into the NHS if you vote for Brexit. Oops, you didn't actually believe us, did you?" debacle.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Leaving aside the fact tha from a humanitarian point of view, refugees are every countries problem...
I don't see why it's the UK's problem at all... just because the camp denizens want to come here.

If they wanted to go to Canada (for instance), would the Calais camp be Canada's problem?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Leaving aside the fact tha from a humanitarian point of view, refugees are every countries problem...
I don't see why it's the UK's problem at all... just because the camp denizens want to come here.

If they wanted to go to Canada (for instance), would the Calais camp be Canada's problem?

You can see why the French people see it that way. These are people who want to leave France but they're being prevented from doing so at the UK's behest.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You can see why the French people see it that way. These are people who want to leave France but they're being prevented from doing so at the UK's behest.

It's France's problem because they allowed them into France in the first place.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Err...... it's the rules... we aren't in Schengen, most of these people are not EU citizens, most of them are just economic migrants looking for an easy life, most are not fleeing anything other than relative poverty, do we let in the entire population of these countries just because they fancy a life with 'satellite tv' and central heating?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Err...... it's the rules... we aren't in Schengen, most of these people are not EU citizens, most of them are just economic migrants looking for an easy life, most are not fleeing anything other than relative poverty, do we let in the entire population of these countries just because they fancy a life with 'satellite tv' and central heating?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No, maybe, I don't know? They're here, I wish somebody would come up with a decent answer.

D

Deleted member 22389

No, maybe, I don't know? They're here, I wish somebody would come up with a decent answer.

The answer is simple, they have no legal right to come to the UK. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you let them in from Calais there will be thousands more after that all wanting the same, we simply can't do it and the sooner we break ties with the EU the better.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's France's problem because they allowed them into France in the first place.

Not really. They could always just waive these people through to where they want to go and leave the administrative nightmare to us? Sure, we'd just bounce them back to France but that doesn't change the fact that this situation is only beneficial to us, not them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here