Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Weak Premier League

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think it's a particularly tough Championship this season, and it's going to take a lot of getting out of in the right direction.

But it's only tonight, watching my first MotD of the season, that it's dawned on me how weak the Premier League is this campaign, with all of the following relegation candidates:

- Hull (seemingly this year's basketcase club)
- Watford (over-achieved previously)
- Bournemouth (small club, second season syndrome)
- Crystal Palace (small club, shit manager)
- Middlesbrough (just promoted, struggling. Even lost to Palace)
- Burnley (one man side, and he's a banned homophobe)
- Sunderland (could be their turn after numerous miraculous escapes)

Beyond this lot, these perennial Premier League mid-table clubs could be set for struggles this season:

- West Brom
- West Ham
- Stoke

Even Swansea and Southampton could struggle after previously decent seasons.

Or am I just mis-reading it all?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think it's a particularly tough Championship this season, and it's going to take a lot of getting out of in the right direction.

But it's only tonight, watching my first MotD of the season, that it's dawned on me how weak the Premier League is this campaign, with all of the following relegation candidates:

- Hull (seemingly this year's basketcase club)
- Watford (over-achieved previously)
- Bournemouth (small club, second season syndrome)
- Crystal Palace (small club, shit manager)
- Middlesbrough (just promoted, struggling. Even lost to Palace)
- Burnley (one man side, and he's a banned homophobe)
- Sunderland (could be their turn after numerous miraculous escapes)

Beyond this lot, these perennial Premier League mid-table clubs could be set for struggles this season:

- West Brom
- West Ham
- Stoke

Even Swansea and Southampton could struggle after previously decent seasons.

Or am I just mis-reading it all?

Problem is, cannon fodder tend to take points off each other, as has happened three times recently to SCSM FC.

theboybilly

A very strong Man City are seemingly so much better than United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool. But I can't see any of the rest breaking into that top 6 (perhaps Everton when Koeman gets it together) The rest are just spending shedloads to avoid relegation and are not at all Box Office. I'm not saying the Albion would be any different should we go up but the Premier League is far from the 'Best League in the World' as far as quality goes.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I just watched MoTD, mostly because I had some cold Stella in the fridge and I'm not back at work till Monday.

As I struggled through Bournemouth vs Everton, Sunderland vs Palace and Stoke vs WBA, I couldn't help but think to myself, "have SKY really paid £5.1bn for this?"

And there is still West Ham vs Southampton to come tomorrow Zzzzzzzzz

£5.1 BILLION....??:shootself

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I just watched MoTD, mostly because I had some cold Stella in the fridge and I'm not back at work till Monday.

As I struggled through Bournemouth vs Everton, Sunderland vs Palace and Stoke vs WBA, I couldn't help but think to myself, "have SKY really paid £5.1bn for this?"

And there is still West Ham vs Southampton to come tomorrow Zzzzzzzzz

£5.1 BILLION....??:shootself

Well said :thumbsup:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This season it seems not many PL teams are able to defend hence the goal feast each week, which makes the PL the most entertaining league in the world. Therefore on a goal to £ ratio Sky have a bargain.

But seeing the amount of goals conceded from corners and free kicks does give some confidence that when we go up, we may have a change due to the quality of our corners and wide free kicks.

I think the title is virtually assured to go to City but the scramble to avoid the drop will be entertaining with the usual sackings, panic buys in January and given the poor quality maybe lots of teams in danger right up to the last game.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I appreciate this is not relevant to the thread title, but Arsenal v Chelsea yesterday, late kick off, and no I didn't watch it, but I did see the starting 11 for both teams, only 2 British players out of 22, no wonder our national squad struggles..............anyway, back to the thread.........yes as Bry Nylon states.....5.1 billion!!! yikes......

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't really think Palace (unfortunately) and Watford are particularly weak, but apart from that I'd agree with you completely [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

Sunderland strike me as a club that epitomises the Premier league. The huge ground highlighting the vast riches of the league they play in, but so much of it squandered by half a dozen managerial merry go round appointments, with at least four being utterly pony and the remaining two being booted out the moment things take a downturn.

The result is another terrible manager, and a cack team made up of expensive mercenaries (a phrase that is often used, but seems so apt in their case).

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I don't really think Palace (unfortunately) and Watford are particularly weak, but apart from that I'd agree with you completely [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

Sunderland strike me as a club that epitomises the Premier league. The huge ground highlighting the vast riches of the league they play in, but so much of it squandered by half a dozen managerial merry go round appointments, with at least four being utterly pony and the remaining two being booted out the moment things take a downturn.

The result is another terrible manager, and a cack team made up of expensive mercenaries (a phrase that is often used, but seems so apt in their case).

Fully agree - the PL is not the holy grail many seem to think it is. We have a couple of decent players and other than that squad players at best.

That said I dont agree with the OP as the 'top' teams seem to be playing some amazing football this season and much better than last

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Whatever happened to the 'glamour' of the PL? The sooner clubs like Swansea, Burnley, West Brom, Hull, Palace, Boro and Stoke City FC are dragged round to the back of the nearest Tesco Express and dispatched with a 'coup de gras' to the nape of the neck the better for the marketing men and all concerned. And to think we export this shit around the world! Utterly disgusting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've been saying this for a few years now, with a fair degree of justification.

One of the many problems with the Premier League is it's so predictable.

Sure there are 'shocks' but Leicester aside it always reverts back to the norm.
The only genuine question raised is '6 into 4, at the top, doesn't go'.

It's amazing how no matter how much money is spent at clubs like Stoke, WBA, Southampton, and now palace you can guarantee they will only ever be fighting for mid table, while one is fighting relegation.

Yesterday Moyes actually answered the question 'your team must be gutting to lose from 2-0 up?', with:-

'not really, they are used to it'.

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Surely it's the same in any top division. Spain is worse, they have 3 teams who could compete for the title and everyone else is a poor show at least in the premiership there are 6 or so sides who are top teams

AmexGold

Banned
Apr 22, 2014
Surely it's the same in any top division. Spain is worse, they have 3 teams who could compete for the title and everyone else is a poor show at least in the premiership there are 6 or so sides who are top teams

There are a lot of average sides this year, including Palace. For once I'm relatively confident of staying up.

If Albion could ever manage to negotiate the play offs I think they'd survive comfortably in the PL.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
There are a lot of average sides this year, including Palace. For once I'm relatively confident of staying up.

If Albion could ever manage to negotiate the play offs I think they'd survive comfortably in the PL.

I completely agree, at work me and some colleagues were trying to predict the final Premiership table and I had both Sunderland and West Brom in 11th & 12th clear of relegation but usually they are sub 15th but there are lots of poor teams

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I am living in Madrid at the moment and have been to watch Real three times and going to watch Atletico later on today, to be honest I do not think the football is any better here, in fact Real have been pretty crap in most of the games I have seen including during midweek against Villareal. I am not sure that the Spanish league is light years away from PL at all, especially the teams at the bottom. Looking forward to my trip to VIcente Calderon this afternoon though :)

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I completely agree, at work me and some colleagues were trying to predict the final Premiership table and I had both Sunderland and West Brom in 11th & 12th clear of relegation but usually they are sub 15th but there are lots of poor teams

I kind of hope Sunderland go down

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm pleased it's weak and I hope it stays that way, it means if we do go up we have half a chance of staying there and not get smashed every weekend.
But weak or not it is still a much higher level than the championship even the weaker sides have players who can win games at the blink of an eye.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Whatever happened to the 'glamour' of the PL? The sooner clubs like Swansea, Burnley, West Brom, Hull, Palace, Boro and Stoke City FC are dragged round to the back of the nearest Tesco Express and dispatched with a 'coup de gras' to the nape of the neck the better for the marketing men and all concerned. And to think we export this shit around the world! Utterly disgusting.
Yep the standards are so bad it's unreal....best league in the world is laughable as Spain and Germany are miles ahead when it comes to ability on the pitch.
The Premiership isn't about quality football and the experience it's about money and nothing else and it will get worse....players are so overpaid it's ridiculous and we're talking about bang average players at best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here