Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugby Union: Aviva Premiership Season 2016/17

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I know there are a few fans of the Egg on here so I thought I'd start a singular thread for the season.

This is perhaps encouraged by my delight at an Albion win today combined with a victory for Quins over Saracens at The Stoop this afternoon :rave:

Wasps look like the team to beat this year.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My interest in rugby never really got beyond the Six Nations (or Five Nations as I knew it) until last year when I got quite into the Premiership.

I was particularly taken with Exeter Chiefs as, to me at least, they seemed to buck the trend of the like of Saracens, Wasps and Quins - a bit smaller, not so well financed but with a great team and club ethic. I was disappointed they came up just short after a tremendous season.

As to this season, Wasps look pretty frightening and Bristol are going to need to up their game somewhat if they're not going to make a very rapid return from whence they came. I'd like to get to my first club rugby game this season and would probably choose Quins for no reason other than relative convenience.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My interest in rugby never really got beyond the Six Nations (or Five Nations as I knew it) until last year when I got quite into the Premiership.

I was particularly taken with Exeter Chiefs as, to me at least, they seemed to buck the trend of the like of Saracens, Wasps and Quins - a bit smaller, not so well financed but with a great team and club ethic. I was disappointed they came up just short after a tremendous season.

As to this season, Wasps look pretty frightening and Bristol are going to need to up their game somewhat if they're not going to make a very rapid return from whence they came. I'd like to get to my first club rugby game this season and would probably choose Quins for no reason other than relative convenience.

Good for you. It's only when, like you, people give rugby the time of day that they realise what an absorbing sport it is.

Exeter are a tough team to beat. They are built on a solid foundation of defensive and attritional rugger. Rob Baxter is a very loyal and outstanding coach who hasn't yet been tempted away. He's been there about twenty years with his first season as coach seeing them into the top flight. They've been steadily improving year on year since.

Quins are seen as a bit of an 'establishment' club. The Middlesex of Rugby Union. Apart from a shock title win in 2012 they've not been greatly successful. They have won the European Challenge Trophy on four occasions (think UEFA Cup), more than any other team, but they've never got further than the last eight of the main trophy. I was in Cardiff for the final in 2011 when Quins won the Challenge Trophy with a last minute penalty- great scenes. Although not as great as being at Twickenham on the day we won our only title.

When I first followed Rugby I watched Bath but transferred to being an STH at Quins as they are my nearest team. Every year there is a home match that they play at Twickenham just after Christmas. There is nearly always a full house. If you want to introduce yourself to the game as a live viewing spectacle then this is the one to go for. A great day out, never seems to clash with Albion, and a fine crowd. Tickets aren't that unreasonable.

BT Sport has half the Premiership matches live each week and Quins are often on.

Edit: Big Game 9 is v Gloucester on 27th December. Day after the home match v Queens Park Rangers.

Last edited:

bobbyc

Aug 9, 2016
Just back from the stoop, amazing saturday with quins beating sarries and brighton winning!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When I first followed Rugby I watched Bath but transferred to being an STH at Quins as they are my nearest team. Every year there is a home match that they play at Twickenham just after Christmas. There is nearly always a full house. If you want to introduce yourself to the game as a live viewing spectacle then this is the one to go for. A great day out, never seems to clash with Albion, and a fine crowd. Tickets aren't that unreasonable.

To be honest, the 'Big Game' is the one game that I don't think I would want to go to. Maybe it's just my footballing background, but the thought of a side that plays in front of c14,000 playing a one-off game, for no good reason, in front of 70,000-80,000 is just ludicrous.

I'd rather go to a more run of the mill game.
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] is also a Quins follower, BTW.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm a Quins man through and through, but I've also got a soft spot for the chiefs

I've seen an Albion hat at The Stoop before. I think there are a few.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
To be honest, the 'Big Game' is the one game that I don't think I would want to go to. Maybe it's just my footballing background, but the thought of a side that plays in front of c14,000 playing a one-off game, for no good reason, in front of 70,000-80,000 is just ludicrous.

I'd rather go to a more run of the mill game.
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] is also a Quins follower, BTW.

Point taken, and admired, although the December jolly is essential to the club's finances which are always tight. (Some Quins fans would have me shot for saying that though).

Most home fixtures up until Christmas are Saturday 3pm jobs (Yes, despite television we still have those). Look out for the Leicester away game on BT Sport on Sunday 8th October. Always a cracker.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I replaced my Albion season ticket of 5 years, with a Bristol season ticket this year... so far it's been like that Hypia season... but recruits are due in Oct and Nov... targeting Worcester and Newcastle is essential... though Quins are vulnerable too.

Friday night was men against boys....but the stadium is good, the cider and pasties better.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tigers fan here. Follow them all over Europe. Rugby weekends abroad are absolutely fantastic.

Not that expensive either. A nice Trip in Racing 92 for thee in January.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Not that expensive either. A nice Trip in Racing 92 for thee in January.

Indeed.

Trips to Italy have been the best. Perpignan up there too - great place and a fantastic stadium. French rugby fans have all the passion of football fans in this country, but without any of the aggression. We had a lock-in in their supporters' club until 5am.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
As a Wasps fan this season is starting to look pretty good.

I actually watched Sarries win the Premiership final last season at Twickers, just for a day out, so to think this season I could be there for Wasps is absolutely awesome.

Saddened though I was by the relocation to Coventry, it seems to have done them a world of good and the crowds they're getting up there are pretty impressive.

Might make my first trip to Allianz Park in a few weeks for what looks set to be a top of the table clash

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here