Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fury vs Klitschko II Postponed Again

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Sounds like it could be mental health issues, something that Fury has struggled with for a long time.
If that's the case then hopefully he'll get the help he needs (despite personally not being able to stand the fool it's a horrible way to live).

I do wonder what the reaction from his camp would've been if WK had pulled out twice, I suspect it wouldn't have been the classiest.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Looks like it's possibly down to depression.

I think anyone who's got depression would know, looking at Fury's interviews, that he has it.

He's said some horrendous things but this situation could be positive if it raises awareness.

Would also be quite funny if, having been comfortably beaten, the robotic Wlad never gets a chance to avenge.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sounds like it could be mental health issues, something that Fury has struggled with for a long time.

Perhaps a fight will occur soon and he will get more cranial problems through a battering. Is it time boxing insisted on headgear at all levels?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Fury fought the fight of his life when beating Wlad. I think he knows that he cant get motivated to do the same in the rematch. His comments about only fighting for money and having no respect for the sport would indicate that he wants to get out quickly, rather than been forced to get back in the ring and get knocked out in front of us viewers.

He probably has enough money to retire on the Wlad fight alone. Buster Douglas, after beating Mike Tyson is a similar example.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fury fought the fight of his life when beating Wlad. I think he knows that he cant get motivated to do the same in the rematch. His comments about only fighting for money and having no respect for the sport would indicate that he wants to get out quickly, rather than been forced to get back in the ring and get knocked out in front of us viewers.

He probably has enough money to retire on the Wlad fight alone. Buster Douglas, after beating Mike Tyson is a similar example.

I'll admit I know little about boxing but I do recall in the aftermath of his title victory someone said he lacked the [training] discipline to be a long term champion. Photos of his size and stories of him on the piss seem to back this up. I think this is more a motivational issue than anything else. And it's a bit rich spouting the controversial stuff he does and then bleating the press and public are reacting to it; what on earth did he expect?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I have respect for pretty much anyone who has laced up a pair of gloves and stepped in the ring, and you cannot fault Tyson for what he has achieved. I did not expect him to beat Vlad in a million years, so he proved me and plenty more wrong. I also have plenty of sympathy for his mental health issues which I genuinely hope he can overcome.

What I am struggling with is this victim mentality he has suddenly developed. He is claiming there is a media witch hunt against him which is the cause of his poor mental state - which I strongly disagree with. The only person to blame for his current predicament is him. If he had been a bit more humble after the win against Vlad then he would have received the acclaim he deserved, instead he went on various very offensive rants which were only ever going to ostracise him. If I were his manager or promoter I would have been devastated to hear some of the shite coming out of his mouth. I know the man is six foot nine and undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, but surely there is someone (Hennessy, his uncle or dad?) who could pull him aside and say 'Tyson you have just won the biggest prize in boxing, you have the world at your feet. What the feck are you doing? Just shut up and enjoy the limelight.'

All in all it is a real shame. I am hoping he can pull it together as I would love to see Fury v Joshua. Personally I think the best thing that can happen for him is to be relieved of the belts, let him take a year out to get his head together. It would be such a shame for him and Joshua to miss out on a huge payday and potentially very memorable fight.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I think this situation has been a long time in the making. You could see from early on that he had some mental health issues, I remember for example when David Haye pulled out of the fight with him he was talking about giving up boxing and if you watch any of his interviews he goes from manic to depressed and uninterested.

He probably needed some help a long time ago and unfortunately knowing what I do I wonder if the boxing community and perhaps also the traveller community would have been particularly understanding of his situation. Certainly if you read Eddie Hearns comments on the subject recently then there is little sympathy or understanding for the complex nature of depression and mental health issues. Depression isn't something that can be solved by someone telling you to man up and get on with it.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
He is a disgusting, disgraceful excuse for a man. His comments about gays and women are just not acceptable (whether he said them to get on the news to publicise his fights or whether he actually believes them is irrelevant).

As a boxer he was boring and devoid of much talent. He is running from the ring because he knows that even if he could beat an aging Klitchsko in a rematch that AJ would destroy him and show him up to be an untalented, uncouth, lumbering oaf.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have followed Fury's career for many years and depression was something that he talked about at a very early stage in his career. This is what I have observed

If you follow Fury on twitter there are four things that absolutely stand out.

1 He can tweet someting quite innocous and get scores of responses calling him "pikey scum" and worse.
2 He has stages where his enthusiasm for life and boxing is vividly clear and he seems to trian like a man possessed.
3 He gets over excited and starts spouting random and often insulting stuff.
4 He starts re-tweeting a whole bunch of god is great and I love everyone tweets and sinks into a pool of remorse.

The fundamental problem he is struggling with is not uncommon in sportsmen. It is, quite simply that he has achieved his lifes ambition, his boyhood dream, how can you ever do anything else in your life that comes anywhere near to this ? He addressed this very point months after winning the title.

He has children and they are financially set up for life. What is Tyson Fury for?

Many top sports stars are able to live on adulation and the support of their fans. There is plenty to keep you busy meeting and greeting and being a modern celebrity.

For Fury this is challenging as a traveller he is not sure if he is English, Irish a combination or in some ways neither. Remember he dropped the British title to fight for the Irish title and then he turned up at Euro 2016 and went out drinking with the England fans.
He also has to contend with the backlash that so many of his ill thought out and niave utterings have generated. These appear to be a mixture of traveler culture and simple religious faith.
In short he does not have the public love and adulation that he feels he deserves and appears to need. He also appears to need boxing, so I am not convinced he will be able to walk away. I hope there are some genuine people out there who can watch out for him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It wasn't depression the stupid idiot was tested positive for cocaine last week and will be stripped of the titles now

So he should be if he is unable for whatever reason to defend his titles. The longer he can delay the return the older Vlad Klitschko is getting and the more he is likely to win the rematch and keep his titles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here