Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'I sold three new [plastic] fivers for £460' on Ebay'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37450223

.A collector who sold three new plastic £5 notes for £460 on the Ebay internet auction site says he will reinvest the money in his hobby.
Alan Scrase said finding the polymer fivers with consecutive AA01 serial numbers was "the luck of the draw".
The 52-year-old struck the jackpot after visiting a bank branch shortly after a delivery of new fivers - on the day after the launch date.
He had failed to get any of collector value on the first day of issue.

"I did not get them on 13 September - the first day - but it was just by sheer chance that I went to the bank the next day and they had just got them in," he said.
"You just go in your bank and ask for them. I got a few."

Big surprise there then Alan Scrase. Smarter bank employees at smaller bank branches skimmed most of them off first on Day One. Fact.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
When all the pre-decimal coins were being withdrawn in the late 1960's up to the deadline day of 1971 I got my brother (who worked in NatWest bank as a cashier) to take out pre-1947 coins with silver.

They fetch quite a premium now with the price of silver: pre-1920 coins are solid silver. As coins they are not worth much unless in perfect condition; so many coins are being dug up by metal-detector users now, and these will often be unworn being lost when newly minted.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I have a new fiver with two A's at the beginning on the serial number. How much is it worth roughly? I don't go on ebay or Facebook so limited options but wouldn't want to sell it unless it was a three-figure amount.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here