Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] HUGHTON ON: BARNSLEY

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
The key talking points from the manager's press conference.

At his pre-match press conference, Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton spoke about Sebastian Pocognoli’s debut, analysed his options at the centre-half, pointed out areas in which wants to improve, and looked at Saturday’s opponents Barnsley.
sp-l229-3283398.jpg

Pocognoli progress: “The thinking behind taking him [Sebastian Pocognoli] off, was that I wanted to make some changes, and if we were fortunate enough to get to extra-time, we wanted players on the pitch who could do the extra 30 minutes.“So we’re still getting him up to speed, as he’s been out for a while, in regards to playing at first-team level consistently.
“He’s fine from a physical point of view, and has no injuries. But it’s the competitive level, and sometimes you don’t know if they’re ready until they play.
“He’s not a young player, he’s a player who’s got a lot of experience and he’ll find a way [to get fit].”
duffy-newcastle-l229-3276932.jpg

Centre-back options: “What we have got is really good competition in the centre-half position. He [Shane Duffy] was good at Newcastle, considering we’d only signed him the day before, but had a tough one against Brentford.
“He was up against a striker [Scott Hogan] who will give a few centre-halves a tough time this season. But since then, he’s been fine and got to know a lot of the players better.
“The relationship with him and Dunky [Lewis Dunk] is one that will be a good one, but I’m always very conscious to say we have a lot of competition.
“It’s not just about Shane and Dunky, it’s about Uwe [Huenemeier] and Connor [Goldson] as well, who both faired very well for us last season."

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK*

Finding the balance: “We’re still very much trying to achieve the levels we require in our game. Even in the Nottingham Forest game, where we ended up winning fairly comfortably, they were the better side for 20-25 minutes.“I’ve changed things a little bit up front. Glenn [Murray] and Tomer [Hemed] played the first few games together, and then we changed it.
“So at the moment, we’re still trying to get to our best level, in regards to performance.
“We’ve conceded a few goals in recent games which have disappointed me, but we’re still right up there within touching distance.
Barnsley test: “Irrespective of where they finish this season, they’ve started very well and they’re in good form.
“They’re scoring a lot of goals, which is difficult in this division, particularly when you’re a team that are new to this division.
“It’s difficult to keep those levels of performance right the way through a season, but we happen to be playing against a team who are in really good form at the moment.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here