Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up to 7 teams relegated in 2018-19 and winter breaks

el punal

Winter breaks great idea ,watch England win things now as the poor luvvies won't be tired :whistle:

I could understand having a winter break in years gone by when we didn't have the facilities or technology to ensure that pitches were playable. Not now, unless you're some Scottish club living halfway up a mountain. I'm trying to think of any Albion match that has been postponed in recent years due to bad weather - none comes to mind.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Winter breaks great idea ,watch England win things now as the poor luvvies won't be tired :whistle:

I can't get my head around how a winter break helps them rest.
They still play the same number of games. Then the top few teams have to fit in tours to Asia to raise more cash!

Liverpool in the 70s played 42 league games, FA cup, League cup and European cup and used about 16 players.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I could understand having a winter break in years gone by when we didn't have the facilities or technology to ensure that pitches were playable. Not now, unless you're some Scottish club living halfway up a mountain. I'm trying to think of any Albion match that has been postponed in recent years due to bad weather - none comes to mind.

Blackburn in the 13/14 season is the last one I can remember.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
7 teams relegated seems a little harsh, could we not build towards it by losing 5 and promoting only 3 in two consecutive seasons

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
When would the winter break be? As likely to have snow in April as January. Xmas/New Year without footie? Think I would go stark, staring potty.

PG

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Winter breaks are completely pointless unless one lives in a continental climate. The international break has already ruined the early part of the season, now we look forward to a stupid break over Christmas or something. More often than not, the Atlantic roars in and we have weeks of lovely mild and wet weather.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I still don't get how lower league teams playing less games helps them survive

Losing 3 home games or 13% of your home fixtures means losing a lot of ticket sales, food & drink sales, programme sales, (possibly less of their games shown live on TV, etc.... and these are clubs that heavily rely in these sources of incomes to survive.

This restructure won't suddenly increase TV coverage and produce a lot of extra TV revenue to these lower league teams to offset these losses from fewer games, because the Premier League will still be in place and taking the vast majority of TV money and reducing the marketability of the other domestic leagues

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
If the Championship becaomes premier league 2, it could mean better distribution of wealth and an end to parachute payments. I like the idea of a winter break. Just after Christmas, when the worst weather hits. It's not just about games being called off, which there is less these days, but pitch condition, transport issues and I hope the league would extend to the end of May. However I believe that these proposals won't happen and will become watered down or not happen at all. I did hate the B team idea. Glad that's been shelved.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
(possibly less of their games shown live on TV, etc.... and these are clubs that heavily rely in these sources of incomes to survive.

This restructure won't suddenly increase TV coverage and produce a lot of extra TV revenue to these lower league teams

If the top two divisions are not going to play for four weeks, that leaves a lot of TV time to fill. We'll be sick of the sight of Portsmouth after a month #twats

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If the top two divisions are not going to play for four weeks, that leaves a lot of TV time to fill. We'll be sick of the sight of Portsmouth after a month #twats

If seven go down, Leeds will probably be in the third tier.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You're right, but often it's not the pitch. Some ice and snow on walkways, pavements, concourses, etc and matches get called off for 'safety reasons'. This is the Age of the Wuss.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just after Christmas, when the worst weather hits. It's not just about games being called off, which there is less these days, but pitch condition, transport issues and I hope the league would extend to the end of May.

The weather here as we have an Atlantic and not a continental climate, is unpredictable. I'm surprised you think 'the worst weather just after Christmas' etc as very often we have had very mild weather around and after Christmas.

For example: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wea...orms-to-disrupt-travel-for-millions-live.html
Last January's first ten days.
7152f1aea2805f757812edcc3baddb89.jpg

Last winter was very mild but so were the previous two. What a waste of time a winter break would be.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I vaguely remember that. What was the reason? Sometimes a game can be called off because of adverse conditions affecting spectators health and safety.

Waterlogged pitch because someone left the sprinklers on all night. It still took them until noon to decide to call it off. I'm sure the fact that Blackburn had an injury crisis, was nothing to do with it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're right, but often it's not the pitch. Some ice and snow on walkways, pavements, concourses, etc and matches get called off for 'safety reasons'. This is the Age of the Wuss.

The age of not wanting to get sued by vampire-like 'no win, no fee' ambulance chasing lawyers.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What would make you more fatigued: doing something all in one go, or doing half having a rest and then doing the other half?
As for the comment about the 70s...ridiculous to compare today's game directly to that era.

They won't be resting though, they'll end up on some lucrative middle east/Asian/North American tour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here