Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being in your 40s

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think I would be right to say that there are a fair few of us aged between 40-49 on the board who have grown up with it.

My mum always said her favourite decade was her 40s and supposedly life begins at 40. Yet I can't help feeling it absolutely blows.

More people you know start to die than get married or have kids. Bits stop working, injury happens more often and every tingle reminds you that you're not immortal (which you were in your 20s as everyone knows). You have to watch your weight, take pills and shop much ,more carefully for clothes that say neither "hipster dick" nor "tweedy old man". You can no longer run that 13 second 100 metres yet your stupid brain insists that you can and that you achieved that time regularly in the past.

Everyone shouts at you. You piss people off all the time. You've either taken on too much at work in an effort to once and for all nail that career or you're stuck in a dead end existence being mocked by 25 year old graduates. You may well have kids and if you do they definitely shout at you because they will be older than babies and (probably) younger than 20. If you don't have kids you may have a partner who resents you for it by now. Or a partner starting the menopause. Or one having a mid life crisis. Or all of the above.

At least you probably have enough money to treat this stress with red wine or beer but, if you do, you will put on 5 stone just opening the bottle, If you don't have enough for booze you will feel a failure.

Or is this just me?

Does it get any better in your 50s? .

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
58 in a couple of weeks for me. Still invincible and act like a 20 something. I really believe a big part of it is in your head. I'm just going to sit down now for a nice little rest and a glass of sanatogen.....Oh! No, it's just a number.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm near the 49 end of the 40's, Top Man and Burton's seem a thing of the past.
As already mentioned, convertible sounds the ticket :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just turned 48, it's fine.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm 28 in a couple of months, what's your advice for life?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Thread is 4 years too late for me.
But when I woke up on my 40th birthday the belt on my trousers no longer fitted the way it always used to, it drooped down at the front when it was nice and flat the night before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here