Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40 years ago today: WBA 0 B&HA 2 (FLC 3rd Round)

This is one of the matches I most regret missing, not so much because it was a victory on a First Division ground (exceptionally rare though that was), but due to our performance. I went to both legs of the First Round tie with Southend and to the replay win over First Division Ipswich, but decided not to go because I'd just started my first proper job at Solport Bros. (next to Goring Station). I heard a first-hand report that we were so brilliant that some locals said they had difficulty believing we were from the Third Division. I'd like to hear from people who actually went to The Hawthorns that night, as I've always wondered to what extent this was true.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is one of the matches I most regret missing, not so much because it was a victory on a First Division ground (exceptionally rare though that was), but due to our performance. I went to both legs of the First Round tie with Southend and to the replay win over First Division Ipswich, but decided not to go because I'd just started my first proper job at Solport Bros. (next to Goring Station). I heard a first-hand report that we were so brilliant that some locals said they had difficulty believing we were from the Third Division. I'd like to hear from people who actually went to The Hawthorns that night, as I've always wondered to what extent this was true.

Ah, those halcyon days when clubs sent out their first XIs to try and win cup matches!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
At the time still living at home and so went to matches with my Father. First away cup game was Derby. Thinking back to the five people in the Morris Marina (reg LAP31P) that day, I'm the only person still alive.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Was there that night and what will always stay with me was the way a young Mr Ward torn them apart. Afterwards that great footballer and WBA manager J. Giles said we were by far the better side.What a night !

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was there that night and agree Peter Ward stood out. My main memory was standing behind the goal on an open terrace with quite a good following from Brighton.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
The game must be up there as one of the best Albion performances of all times in my book. WBA were a good side, yet there was only one team in the match for most of the game and a 0-4 scoreline that night would not have been out of place. Remember us filling up a couple of Seagull Special trains for the match, certainly on the journey home we were pinching ourselves as we thought we had been in a dream, a real Wardy Wonderland night.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was a wet midweek evening, we played WBA off the park but my outstanding memory was of Willie Johnston running the length of the pitch to aim a kick at the refereee. Don't think he intended to connect but unsurprisingly he was sent off.

Along with the Ipswich and Derby Cup games the WBA win was one of my favourite early games watching the Albion

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
It was a fantastic night - WBA were on the up during the 70s and finished 7th in the top flight that year. Ipswich finished 3rd. Derby were football royalty and we took them to a replay in the following round (thousands of BHA went up there - we had two sides of the Baseball Ground). The previous Saturday we beat York 7-2 at home and the famous 7-0 against Walsall (0-0 at ht) was only a couple of weeks later.

As for the game, I just remember standing near the back of the away end (same as it is today) and watching through a misty/drizzly night as we swarmed all over them - a breathless, intoxicating, utterly convincing 2-0 away win. I'm pretty sure there was a Seagull Special for the game and a couple of thousand noisy, excited, boisterous fans had a fantastic evening. But it was the 70s so a couple of coaches got bricked on the way back.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd echo what everyone said: we were absolutely on fire that night and West Brom put out a decent team too

Goals here

[yt]dB3xGmRLrnM[/yt]

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
One of my all time favourite away games.
Fantastic performance by the team, and superb backing from the away terrace.
I organised a coach from the Hungry Years pub, and , luckily, we escaped unscathed.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Jesus 40 years ago? I was there that night. I went to see the School deputy headmistress at Newman. Just said I wanted to leave early. "Why". I want to go and see the Albion at West Brom.

Well why didn't you say, she said. Off you go, have a good time. 15 years old so I was and went on my own on the Seagull Special. Great night.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Following Saturday we won 3 - 1 at Tranmere , why do I remember this? It was my wedding day and the result was whispered to me as I walked back down the aisle.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I was there that night and agree Peter Ward stood out. My main memory was standing behind the goal on an open terrace with quite a good following from Brighton.

Yes, I was part of the 'quite a good following from Brighton'. There were a few thousand supporting Brighton that night. It was a fantastic game from little old Brighton with Wardy playing a blinder (edit: the whole team playing a blinder) These were the kind of games we looked forward to in the 70s, mixing it with the big boys in the Cups instead of the bread and butter 2nd/3rd division.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I was there too. One of the first times that Wardie came to my attention, although he had started with a little burst of scoring at the end of the previous season and on MOTD against York City (7-2) just before the WBA game.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
No penalties in those days. Aston Villa's two legged semi-final was replayed and the final itself involved three matches.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Brilliant night. If I had to name my all-time favourite Albion season it would be that 76-77 season. The Cup victories over First (Premier) division WBA and Ipswich and the narrow defeat at Derby after a fantastic 1-1 draw at home. Full-strength sides all round as well in those days. And of course we got promoted at the end of it, thus nailing the lie that the really stupid often trot out that a Cup run always detracts from the League.

More than anything those performances showed that we WERE good and that we could easily play at a higher level. That gave us an immense amount of confidence, not just for the rest of the season but also for the following year in Division Two. There was nothing to be afraid of.

Forty years ago. Jeez.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
These achievements are in danger of becoming diluted by the current practice of playing squad players. I notice already someone has mentioned West Brom put out a strong side. Of course they did. Every team played their very best side in every game regardless.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Loving the ITV studio, looks like Brian Moore did the DIY background himself! No green screens in them days :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here