Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will we learn

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Last season we put out a crap team against Walsall we lost & they played Chelsea in the next round.
This season we put out a crap team against Reading we lose & they get a trip to the Emirates in the next round.
What confuses the hell out of me is.
It's common knowledge that we lose millions of pounds every season playing in the championship.
So why are we not playing full strength teams
In these cup competions.
Not only do you give yourselves a better chance of winning each game so you can get that plum tie in the next round but the fans will be more likely to turn up against the lesser teams knowing
That you are playing your strongest possible team.6000 in the 3rd round of the league cup is
A disgrace.

Of course if we had played our strongest team against Reading there are no guarantees that we would have won as there are no guarantees that we will win against Barnsley on Saturday having rested 11 players.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Because the league cup is worth so little in comparison to the PL. imagine the stick on here if we'd started Kayal, Stephens and Dunk and they were all crocked and out for months. Basically written off any chance to be promoted. I've no interest in going to a 1/2 full Emirates to play their kids.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Last season we put out a crap team against Walsall we lost & they played Chelsea in the next round.
This season we put out a crap team against Reading we lose & they get a trip to the Emirates in the next round.
What confuses the hell out of me is.
It's common knowledge that we lose millions of pounds every season playing in the championship.
So why are we not playing full strength teams
In these cup competions.
Not only do you give yourselves a better chance of winning each game so you can get that plum tie in the next round but the fans will be more likely to turn up against the lesser teams knowing
That you are playing your strongest possible team.6000 in the 3rd round of the league cup is
A disgrace.

I've read better poems, to be fair.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
put out strongest team, pick up some injuries, lose and carry that into the next league game... League cup doesnt matter and going another round or two isnt going to save the finances, use it for trialing fringe and development squad, just like the big clubs do.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
One less distraction for us and one huge distraction for an improving Reading. OK it's crap for us supporters (Hull away would have been AMAZING) but hopefully will benefit us in the long run.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The league is priority and our best players need to be fit enough all season to get us promoted. The cup is an unnecessary distraction, especially this early in the season.
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that the cup doesn't interest me, climbing the table does.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The League Cup has become a joke and needs some sort of overhaul if it is going to survive beyond the next 5 years.

Maybe it should be re-invented and clubs are only allowed to field domestic players (English, Scots, Welsh or N Irish). It might not increase gates but at least it would make it a bit different.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
put out strongest team, pick up some injuries, lose and carry that into the next league game... League cup doesnt matter and going another round or two isnt going to save the finances, use it for trialing fringe and development squad, just like the big clubs do.

So if we had won & got a big home draw would we still be making 11 changes to the starting line up.

I understand that some players may need a rest but this is a major cup game.
We had a bigger crowd for the 1st round against Colchester than the 3rd round against Reading.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I can't be arsed with the League Cup, but have more time for the FA Cup (which I am sure we will treat in the same indifferent way). I would prefer us to take the Cups seriously but realistically it's not going to happen. It's not just Brighton, all clubs in the top 2 divisions at least treat cup ties as a diversion, a chance to rotate the squad.

I don't like it but it's now standard practice.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
So glad I was around when the League and FA Cups both really mattered . First Division (Premier )clubs fielding their strongest team as did we. Great memories of great games. Wolves at home in 1969 , North Stand goal net strewn with toilet rolls , 32000 plus gate . Also R1 Ipswich won 27,000 gate , WestBrom (a) , then Derby home 33000 and away replay taking 7000 fans in Wardys era .The days when clubs wished to win every cup and league game they played and clubs were fined etc for fielding under strength sides. Stuff the fans nowadays. Wish I had access to a Time Machine.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
yes lets forget about the league and focus on the cup competitions, as we may get a 'big' team in the draw, so that all those once a season fans can scramble for a ticket whilst shouting how they've supported the team all their lives and its not fair that they've missed out on this 'big' game.
During this cup run we get shown on TV a few times to gain some additional income but our league form falls away and the home attendances for league games drops off as we are lower mid table flirting with relegation. We struggle to get our transfer targets as we are not seen as a team challenging for promotion to the Premier League.
Come on get working on those tin foil cups

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Maybe it's me but I think it's currently a championship problem.Premier league teams seem to take it more seriously now than they did a few years ago probably thinking its a good chance of winning a trophy.using this week as an example most EPL teams that have played this week have played very strong teams & have been well supported.West Ham had 39000 for a game against Accrington Stanley.
Teams in league 1 & 2 take every game as a bonus.
Championship teams seem to take every game as an excuse to rotate their squad because the league is more important.
Unless they get a big draw

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
yes lets forget about the league and focus on the cup competitions, as we may get a 'big' team in the draw, so that all those once a season fans can scramble for a ticket whilst shouting how they've supported the team all their lives and its not fair that they've missed out on this 'big' game.
During this cup run we get shown on TV a few times to gain some additional income but our league form falls away and the home attendances for league games drops off as we are lower mid table flirting with relegation. We struggle to get our transfer targets as we are not seen as a team challenging for promotion to the Premier League.
Come on get working on those tin foil cups

Just focus on those play offs every season to try and get to the holy grail. Much better than a once in a lifetime watching your team win a cup. I think you will find many premier league teams take it seriously, yes they may play a team where players are a little deeper from the squad however the team on the field will still be paid much more than any championship side

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Because the league cup is worth so little in comparison to the PL. imagine the stick on here if we'd started Kayal, Stephens and Dunk and they were all crocked and out for months. Basically written off any chance to be promoted. I've no interest in going to a 1/2 full Emirates to play their kids.

Very harsh. What about the opportunity to buy a half and half scarf and have a selfie taken at the Emirates?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Just focus on those play offs every season to try and get to the holy grail. Much better than a once in a lifetime watching your team win a cup. I think you will find many premier league teams take it seriously, yes they may play a team where players are a little deeper from the squad however the team on the field will still be paid much more than any championship side
Maybe a good cup run will be the difference between Alex Pritchard not turning around on the M25

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here