Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are The Bookies Wrong About Us?

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Champ Win Odds Sep 16.jpg
Seen quite a lot of misery on recent threads about our prospects this season ... however all the bookies have us a clear third favourite to win this league. Are they completely deluded?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
IF our hangover from last season lifts, no.

If it lasts a while, yes.
Hangover? We lost with 10 men at the runaway bookies favourites, and then lost 2-0 at home to a side bang in form, and surprising a lot of people. We won out last two games. Quick, throw in the towel now!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
View attachment 78078
Seen quite a lot of misery on recent threads about our prospects this season ... however all the bookies have us a clear third favourite to win this league. Are they completely deluded?

Given the fact that we only have three strikers, one of whom can't score at this level, then yes I suggest they have it wrong :shrug:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
View attachment 78078

Bookmakers will lay odds on team as a squad and potential yes, the odds are also determined by the amount of money laid on that team. Considering Newcastles and Norwich odds we along with the rest are also runs.

I wonder what odds Leicester were last season ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wouldn't back us at that price, but conversely I do think we've got a very good chance of making the top two.

el punal

View attachment 78078

No, they're not deluded. Nor are the relatively sane Albion fans in our midst. We are in the top seven, five points off top place and three off second. That is a comfortable place to be in. Unfortunately the nay-sayers on this board will find something to carp and complain about regardless of how successful we are.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If you had to suffer like I did on Tuesday night,you will be well aware that we over achieved last season, CH is too defensive, we play the wrong shape, we need to hoof the ball forward more,etc etc therefore we are doomed, as the bloke in front was telling everyone who wasn't listening for the whole game.

Then on the basis that this chap is 100% certain that he is right, then yes the bookies have got it wrong.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Goals = points. If we don't start scoring more, we ain't going to win enough points to challenge.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Hangover? We lost with 10 men at the runaway bookies favourites, and then lost 2-0 at home to a side bang in form, and surprising a lot of people. We won out last two games. Quick, throw in the towel now!!

You must have a very dodgy memory if you think we're playing anywhere near last year's form.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I wonder what odds Leicester were last season ?

famously about 5000/1 at start oft he season. think they've learnt its not worth put such silly odds out there because the mug/fan punters are still going to back at 500/1.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Fans are bemoaning our lack of firepower compared to last season but what has actually changed? We still have Hemed, Baldock and Manu and Murray has come in for Zamora, who missed the last 3 months of the season. Murray will score more than Zamora did and is also better defensively. That leaves James Wilson, who flattered to deceive most of the time and only scored a handful of goals. A whole season of Knockaert is far and away better than Wilson's contribution.
We have the best player in the Championship ( Knocky ) We have one of the best central midfield pairings and a dominant centre-half coveted by bigger clubs.We have flair in the side and will score plenty of goals. We are currently 7th, five points off the top and we are having our blip now. When we get in the groove, I can see us going on a significant winning run. All the other sides fear us. Clough said we were streets ahead of anything they had played thus far ( that includes Wednesday ) and we didn't hit top gear at Burton. We have class and experience in our side and TB will strengthen in January for the final push.
Points average per game last season = 1.94.....eight games in and still nowhere near our stride = 1.75....with no uplift all season that still gives us over 80 points....and fans are out there saying we will be way off the pace....ridiculous....we will be right up there.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I think we are quite a good bet to be in the shake-up (at least play-offs) with 5 games to go say, though I'm expecting Newcastle or Norwich to win it. Last season was hugely unlucky - the most points for 18 years not go up automatically. Maybe this season we'll be luckier with a few points fewer?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fans are bemoaning our lack of firepower compared to last season but what has actually changed? We still have Hemed, Baldock and Manu and Murray has come in for Zamora, who missed the last 3 months of the season. Murray will score more than Zamora did and is also better defensively. That leaves James Wilson, who flattered to deceive most of the time and only scored a handful of goals. A whole season of Knockaert is far and away better than Wilson's contribution.
We have the best player in the Championship ( Knocky ) We have one of the best central midfield pairings and a dominant centre-half coveted by bigger clubs.We have flair in the side and will score plenty of goals. We are currently 7th, five points off the top and we are having our blip now. When we get in the groove, I can see us going on a significant winning run. All the other sides fear us. Clough said we were streets ahead of anything they had played thus far ( that includes Wednesday ) and we didn't hit top gear at Burton. We have class and experience in our side and TB will strengthen in January for the final push.
Points average per game last season = 1.94.....eight games in and still nowhere near our stride = 1.75....with no uplift all season that still gives us over 80 points....and fans are out there saying we will be way off the pace....ridiculous....we will be right up there.

Beating the top teams is the only way we will be top two, which is TB's target. Have you seen anything so far this season that suggests we might manage this feat?

Topnit

Sep 21, 2016
They've basically looked at the top 8 and picked us due to where we finished last season, in comparison to the rest of them.

Everyone beats everyone in this stupid league. I mean who would have predicted Huddersfield would start like this?
Wolves lose 4-0 at home to Barnsley, and then win at St James' while Barnsley lose at home to ten man Reading, who got spanked at Wolves and Newcastle. Could all change again in three games.

Norwich should be favs in my opinion, but Newcastle will be the bookies/media favourites to walk the league even if they're in the bottom three in April.

So to answer your question, I dunno lol.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
What surprised me was we're 4/7 and Barnsley 4/1 on Saturday. Massive price for free scoring Barnsley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here