Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Refused entry after half-time. Standard procedure?

matt

Mar 19, 2007
For unforeseen reasons I was delayed on my journey to the game last night and didn't get to the stadium until the second half had started. All the turnstile doors were closed but a steward poked her head out and said "we have been told not to let anyone else" in. Obviously this saved me watching 40 minutes of crud but did deny me a pie.

Is it standard procedure to stop people entering after half-time. I can't see the logic behind it - it's not as if it is the opera. Plus there is no mention of this on the ticket website T&C or Ground Regulations. I've emailed the club asking for a refund as a matter of principle and their initial reply was that it is 'common place' for clubs to stop entry after half-time. It's the first time I have got to a ground so late so have no idea if this is the case or not.

Anyone experienced something similar?

:down:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
For unforeseen reasons I was delayed on my journey to the game last night and didn't get to the stadium until the second half had started. All the turnstile doors were closed but a steward poked her head out and said "we have been told not to let anyone else" in. Obviously this saved me watching 40 minutes of crud but did deny me a pie.

Is it standard procedure to stop people entering after half-time. I can't see the logic behind it - it's not as if it is the opera. Plus there is no mention of this on the ticket website T&C or Ground Regulations. I've emailed the club asking for a refund as a matter of principle and their initial reply was that it is 'common place' for clubs to stop entry after half-time. It's the first time I have got to a ground so late so have no idea if this is the case or not.

Yep happened to me once. For a home league game against Forest (a drab 0-0) eventually on the final whistle I got in thanks to a kindly steward and saw the uneventful 2mins of injury time. I have no idea why this is the case, and I suspect this is a widespread practice.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

My only experience of arriving after HT had the opposite outcome. It was against Preston at the Goldstone just after the big storm in 1987 and transport that day would have caused a meltdown on NSC. There were no trains to Brighton so I got a coach from Victoria which dropped me off on the A23 at Patcham so had to jog up the hill and into Hove. Went for the shortcut through Hove Park option but given the number of fallen trees it didn't help much. Finally turned up sometime during the second half and was let in to the West Terrace for free to see the end of a 0-0 draw.
Hope that helps (don't expect it does much)...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The opera will let you into the building (our equivalent would be the concourse) at any time the show is on. In that "concourse" you can buy a drink and something to eat at any of 3 bars, and sit down and watch (with full sound volume) one of multiple screens showing what's going on on the stage. At the next interval (and there are often two intervals, meaning that you can see the last third of the opera if you're running really late), you can take your seat in the auditorium. What you can't do is enter the auditorium while the orchestra is playing.

Doesn't really help, I know, but you mentioned opera, so I thought I'd draw the comparison.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The opera will let you into the building (our equivalent would be the concourse) at any time the show is on. In that "concourse" you can buy a drink and something to eat at any of 3 bars, and sit down and watch (with full sound volume) one of multiple screens showing what's going on on the stage. At the next interval (and there are often two intervals, meaning that you can see the last third of the opera if you're running really late), you can take your seat in the auditorium. What you can't do is enter the auditorium while the orchestra is playing.

Doesn't really help, I know, but you mentioned opera, so I thought I'd draw the comparison.

Is that because it isn't over till the fat lady sings? :shrug:

matt

Mar 19, 2007

Thank you. I only went once and was on time, so had no problems, but am now better prepared for next time.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
seems a bit odd not letting you in if you are late.

i did quite a few grounds in the 80`s and 90`s at half time entry. The difficulty was usually trying to find someone who was actually still on a manned turnstile.
Quite a few times paid half price to get in at half time at the goldstone on mid week games when a few of us would stay longer in the pub than planned.

Times may well have changed but considering your ticket is electronic so to speak and can be checked for validity what on earth is the problem with no letting you in late.
Surely if it was actually a rule that you will be denied entry after a certain time that would be laid out on the ticket......wouldnt it?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Very strange can't think of a good reason why. I got into Scarborough in the second half ,late due to traffic. I also got into the chicken run in the second half having been ejected form the North stand:rolleyes:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Is that because it isn't over till the fat lady sings? :shrug:

Sometimes! Depends on the plot line. Four plotlines cover 95% of all operas:

1 Boy meets Girl. Girl dies.
2 Boy meets Girl. Boy dies.
3 Boy meets Girl. They both die.
4 Boy meets Girl and then lots of people meet. They all die.

It's a laugh a minute.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Could it be that it would confuse the complicated calculations they have to complete before they announce the attendance? Oh, forgot, they don't actually care about real a attendance numbers do they?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

And you are recounting your experience of the opera. Well, fancy that :smile:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
How bizarre, I had similar at Withdean a few times but was let straight in to wander/stumble down the running track

managed it at Charlton one year as well when my friend called me late to watch them v Bolton. Got there at about 60 minutes and a steward pointed me toward one gate where they said they had to charge me full price but wouldn't question it if I said I was under 16 (I was 22/23 and hadn't aged well) so i popped in. Apparently I missed nothing in the preceding minutes but then saw a 2-0 win thanks to two late penalties.

This doesn't help or add much to the conversation but three words in thought well I have started now so may as well get the post count up

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i wonder if the early leaver nazis hate the late arrivers with the same intensity
Is a late arriver like a late arrival, but without the education?

I'm just shitting you pasta

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here