Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] MANAGERS' VIEWS: HUGHTON AND ULDERINK

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion's manager and Reading's assistant boss reflect on last night's game.

CHRIS HUGHTON backed his decision to rotate the squad in Brighton & Hove Albion’s EFL Cup defeat to Reading on Tuesday night.The Seagulls boss also felt his team were guilty of not taking full advantage of the chances they created, as the Royals played the entire second half with ten men.
He said, “No complaints with the team that I put out, and if we had the opportunity again, I’d go with the same players, as we had a strong enough team to win the game.
“Their tempo was better than ours to start with, and amongst that you’ve got to make sure you don’t concede poor goals, and both of them were.
“At 1-0, you’re still in the game, and certainly when you’re against ten men, you’re going to have opportunities, albeit they were from crosses and balls into the box.
“But we needed to make more of the dominance that we had in that last period. They decided to sit back, which I can understand, but we had to make more of the opportunities that we had.”
Hughton admitted his team need to rediscover their scoring touch in front of goal, but is also focused on improving their defensive record this season.
“It’s a concern [lack of goals]. We’re generally quite a solid team, and we were similar last season, until we started scoring a lot more goals in the second half of the season.
“We’ve got to make sure we get the balance right, as we know we’ve got to concede less goals than we have done, and also make sure we score more.”

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK*

ANDRIES ULDERINK was pleased with Reading’s positive start at the Amex, and also praised the Royals for their reaction after going down to ten men.The Reading assistant manager felt his team enjoyed the upper-hand in the opening stages of their EFL Cup win, but also highlighted Albion’s untaken chances in front of goal.
He said, ”We started very well when it was 11 against 11 - it was a little bit like Saturday. We dominated the game and created a couple of great chances.
"I must be honest, Brighton had a couple of good chances too, but overall we were very happy with the 11-v-11 situation and we deserved our first goal.
"You hoped we would get the second goal in the first half; but the sending off changed the game, again.”
Tyler Blackett was sent off shortly before half-time for a late challenge on Sebastian Pocognoli, and Ulderink was undecided on the decision made by referee Lee Probert.
"My first reaction was that Tyler was playing the ball with the tackle, but the referee explained his decision to me at half-time and told me that, after he touched the ball, he went on with his leg into the leg of the opponent.
"It's difficult for me to say much more, I didn't see him touch the player, so I can't say whether it was a red card or not. I thought he maybe slipped a little bit too and he definitely played the ball, but I haven't spoken to Tyler about it yet.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here