Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
baldock-reading-l229-3319255_613x460.jpg

Sam Baldock
Image by: Paul Hazlewood

PUBLISHED
06:35 21st September 2016
by James Hilsum
Albion's striker believes the team lacked a cutting edge in the final third.
It was disappointing, but credit to Reading, they came here with a game plan and executed it very well."
Sam Baldock

Sam Baldock was left to rue a frustrating day in front of goal, as Brighton & Hove Albion were knocked out of the EFL Cup by Reading.

Albion’s skipper on the night believes the side failed to take advantage of a number of good goalscoring chances, and that they were left with a mountain to climb after the Royals’ second goal.He said, “It was disappointing, but credit to Reading, they came here with a game plan and executed it very well.
“They kept the ball for long periods of the first half, but we probably had the better opportunities. It just wasn’t meant to be for us.
“They got the second, and as soon as they got that, they had something to fight for with a bit of cushion. We struggled to break them down after that.”
The game was Baldock’s first appearance since the 2-0 defeat to Newcastle last month and is now targeting a consistent run of games in the team, after overcoming injury and suspension.
“The manager thought it was an opportunity to give me an extra couple of days, so I wasn’t needed [v Huddersfield], but hopefully I’ll be back involved at the weekend.
“We’ve got a massive squad that’s full of quality. Whatever squad the manager elects is one that he feels is capable of winning and we’ve got to respect that.
“But I’m feeling good, fit and I’m raring to go.”

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK*

The 27-year-old expressed his pride at being named captain again and feels it is only a matter of time before the team rediscovers their clinical nature in front of goal.“I enjoy being the captain at every opportunity I get, but we look to play with 11 captains on the pitch and play the right way. The man-of-the-match award was a bit controversial, but I don’t think there were too many stand-out performances.”
“I don’t think there is anything too much to put it down to [missed chances]; we’ve got good finishers in the squad and some good players. When the goals come, I think they’ll flood in.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here