In Saturday's 12 Championship matches
297 shots
30 goals (10.1%)

We don't need a striker - we need two strikers

UTA

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Someone will be along to tell you we were the top scorers in the division last season, totally ignoring the fact that most of those goals came towards the end of the season against teams that had nothing to play for. Against the teams that mattered they were as few as the goals we are currently scoring. Nothing has changed up front, in fact we have gone backwards as we have less strikers than we finished last season with. Top two is unattainable with our current strike force and top six will be a tall order IMO.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Last night, in a cup we can't be bothered with we saw every single striker we have at the club. That was it.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think Mr Hughton shares our frustrations. I also think we may see Elvis given his BIG (possibly last?!?) championship chance very soon. From what I saw last night, he deserves it over Baldock at the very least. That said we're rather clutching at straws here, Elvis may well be the answer but equally might not.

The transfer window was undeniably not great, we rested on our laurels just a little and I think we've fallen behind the top six this time around.

I could be wrong, but I'm not feeling too confident at the moment.

It's a real pity.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
The thing with Murray is he relies on service. At the start of the season he was getting it, and had 3 goals in 2 games. With Knockhaert playing more central, and Murphy not getting in crosses his supply has dried up. He's not the sort of player to drop deep to get the ball. Hemed does look for it more. And then we have Baldock...

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Murray's markedly limited mobility was evident last night, Baldrick tried running here, there and everywhere but was not always (rarely) spotted. Elvis looked determined if limited and slightly miffed to be coming off.
I suggest that many of our goals will come from midfield....again.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's been done to death but the club made a big cock up not signing a striker. Murray and Hemed are very similar and Baldock is our only 'quick' striker, but he doesn't score goals. If we couldn't find anyone good enough for the money we should have taken a season long loan from a Prem club. Look at Abraham at Bristol City. We just need a different option up front, I still think Elvis's best position is advanced winger and not as an out an out striker.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Someone will be along to tell you we were the top scorers in the division last season, totally ignoring the fact that most of those goals came towards the end of the season against teams that had nothing to play for. Against the teams that mattered they were as few as the goals we are currently scoring. Nothing has changed up front, in fact we have gone backwards as we have less strikers than we finished last season with. Top two is unattainable with our current strike force and top six will be a tall order IMO.

This, just not good enough upfront

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
The only thing that will cost us is If we fail to land a goal scorer in January.

We just need to stay there or thereabouts until then and hope Knockeart stays fit.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If, and there is every chance, we will be near the top 6 come January, Tony knows what he needs to buy if we have any genuine aspirations for promotion.

If he doesn't buy at least one proven striker, it will never happen.

Which is so frustrating, bearing in mind the midfield and defence are sorted.

el punal

Reading
22 shots
5 on target
1 goal

Burton
19 shots
7 on target
1 goal

Huddersfield
15 shots
3 on target
1 goal

Brentford
18 shots
5 on target
0 goals

Newcastle
14 shots
2 on target
0 goals

Last 5 Matches
88 shots
22 on target (25%)
3 goals (3.4%)

In Saturday's 12 Championship matches
297 shots
30 goals (10.1%)

We don't need a striker - we need two strikers

UTA

No we don't need two strikers, we need strikers that can score goals. Of course, the club could have gone out on a limb and paid £x million for a striker who might have ended up as a complete flop, and God knows we've had a few of those in seasons past.

In some respects I could almost agree with your sentiments if we had consistently been scoreless in the majority of games played. We haven't. Aside from last night's match, I didn't watch it so I can't comment, we have lost just two games. Those two were when the whole team were second best, against Newcastle and Brentford. Your criticism certainly did not apply to the matches against Nottingham Forest and Rotherham, both 3-0 wins.

My last point, I have watched the Albion six times this season and I have seen enough to convince me that the team are more than capable of being in the mix at the end of the season. As another poster stated, there is nothing wrong with 1-0 wins - that's another 3 points in the bag. I would rather have that than score lots of goals and lose 4-3.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'll need a striker and a central midfielder in January. I'm sure the club are already working on it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here